So how does Fedor vs Cormier go? (In 2010)

Fedor was definitely on the down slide around this time and Cormier was destroying the entire SF heavyweight roster one by one, including a guy who finished Fedor.

So how do you think this match up would have gone down? I'm a big Fedor fan and I have much respect and awe for his career but even in 2010 he wasn't the same terminator he was in Pride. I'd have to go with DC by UD.

Thoughts, my homies?

I think it goes one of two ways, either Fedor KOs him in a fight a bit similar to the AA fight or Cormier wins a UD where neither guy takes much damage but he does enough to win 2 or 3 rounds. I would say it would have been close to 50/50.

Honestly I think Fedor from 2011 would have done better as he got back to being more patient than Fedor was in 2010 and wasn't really any different physically.

The same way Fedor vs Hendo went.

Maybe worse.

As with the Bigfoot fight people seem to have gotten how these matches actually unfolded.

Besides the controversy around the stoppage ultimately Hendo's punch from behind in the clinch seems very difficult to repeat. Before that he's failed to take Fedor down and then been knocked down by him, of course you could argue Cormier is a better striker and wrestler than Hendo but Fedor getting the best of these area's verus Dan doesn't really seem like great evidence Cormier would surely win.

Last edited:
See: Hendo vs Fedor. But it probably wouldn't take that long.

Fedor was definitely on the down slide around this time and Cormier was destroying the entire SF heavyweight roster one by one, including a guy who finished Fedor.

So how do you think this match up would have gone down? I'm a big Fedor fan and I have much respect and awe for his career but even in 2010 he wasn't the same terminator he was in Pride. I'd have to go with DC by UD.

Thoughts, my homies?

It could have went either way. When you have fighters that skilled facing each other....either guy would stand a good chance of beating each other.

I would think that Fedor would have had a slightly advantage but it would have been a great fight.

As with the Bigfoot fight people seem to have gotten how these matches actually unfolded.

Besides the controversy around the stoppage ultimately Hendo's punch from behind in the clinch seems very difficult to repeat. Before that he's failed to take Fedor down and then been knocked down by him, of course you could argue Cormier is a better striker and wrestler than Hendo but Fedor getting the best of these area's verus Dan doesn't really seem like great evidence he would again.

Yeah. Fedor made a lazy mistake against Dan. He knocked him down and then Dan slipped out the back.

Fedor just knelt on his hands and knees instead of getting up fast because he probably assumed that Dan would do what most fighters would do after getting off their back (run off to the center of the cage)

Instead Dan was smart and blind sided Fedor from behind with a huge punch. Fedor should have shown urgency as soon as Dan got up but he hung out and took his time getting up.

I thought Herb should have given Fedor more time (because he turned over 2 seconds after he hit the ground) It happened extremely fast if you watch it in real speed and not slow motion GIFs) but credit to Dan for getting the win.

Also the Bigfoot fight Fedor won the 1st round on the judges cards and lost the 2nd big. Everyone was pumped for round 3 until the doctor stopped the fight in between rounds due to Fedor's swollen eye. Another legit lose but very anticlimatic when fights are stopped due to cuts or swollen eyes.

Both of those fights could have played out differently if they went on.

i think it would have been a great fight. i wonder what DC's game plan would have been.?? I know fedor's game plan would have been to hunt head.

Yeah. Fedor made a lazy mistake against Dan. He knocked him down and then Dan slipped out the back.

Fedor just knelt on his hands and knees instead of getting up fast because he probably assumed that Dan would do what most fighters would do after getting off their back (run off to the center of the cage)

Instead Dan was smart and blind sided Fedor from behind with a huge punch. Fedor should have shown urgency as soon as Dan got up but he hung out and took his time getting up.

I thought Herb should have given Fedor more time (because he turned over 2 seconds after he hit the ground) It happened extremely fast if you watch it in real speed and not slow motion GIFs) but credit to Dan for getting the win.

Also the Bigfoot fight Fedor won the 1st round on the judges cards and lost the 2nd big. Everyone was pumped for round 3 until the doctor stopped the fight in between rounds due to Fedor's swollen eye. Another legit lose but very anticlimatic when fights are stopped due to cuts or swollen eyes.

Both of those fights could have played out differently if they went on.

The bigger issue for me still remains the strikes to the back of the head, those are what allowed Hendo to follow up so fast with power shots.

It'll be called fanboyism I know but I do think that whilst Fedor was on the decline in SF there was an element of luck/opponents inspiration in his defeats. I wouldn't look at any of those fights and say they showed that the result would always likely go the same way. SF Fedor did become sloppier and take needless risks but losing 3 out of 4 wasn't really a reflection of his skill even at that point.

Back