So how come there were no American weight lifting medalists at the olympics?

Reminds me of something Nog said about Russians when it comes to training, they do it because they have nothing else to do there, and they do it just to get warm there since it's so cold.

Yeah, makes sense. I would guess that all our best athletes are doing football. For countries that don't have millions of dollars to spend on equipment, they have to do other stuff like weightlifting and soccer.

I never bought that rationale.
I dont think soccer isnt popular in American b/c of economic reasons.
Basketball isnt so expensive to play either.
And America isnt the only 1st world nation, yet soccer is the most popular sport.

A sports success in the US is based proportionally on how well it translates to television. An excellent example is American football to rugby. The two sports have enough similarity that if one is popular than the other should be as well. Except rugby doesn't allow for the television commercial time and therefore there is not incentive to market it. Soccer has the same marketability limitations. That and the low scoring don't lend well to American audiences, that's one of the problems hockey has always had.

If the sports aren't marketed and pushed well enough they won't have the younger generations to pursue the sports and therefore you will always have second tier performers.

Also in the US weight lifting is looked upon more as a training for another sport, not as a sport unto itself.

because American olympic athletes cheat and use steroids....

Well some of the people here could compete in the special olympics. Depends on the level of retardation.
we should have a go. Some of us might even qualify. :icon_surp

because American olympic athletes cheat and use steroids....

In the case of olympic lifting it's more the opposite. If they could use more in the off season they would close the gap somewhat.

it's ok, you'll always have curling.

Dude, I watched curling for the first time a few months ago and it is BADASS. If there was a curling team by me here in the states I would do it.

Well some of the people here could compete in the special olympics. Depends on the level of retardation.

I have heard that some of those retards are pretty strong though.......:icon_cry2

1. The proliferation of machine-based fitness centers that killed off most of the black iron gyms in the US.

2. Higher popularity of other sports and the corresponding financial incentive.

3. Different outlook on doping.

I would hate to get pwned by a guy with down-syndrome. He would pat me on the head and tell me I did a good job and I would cry.:icon_cry2

Back