So have people yet acknowledged DC outboxed Jones?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by snizzar, Jan 8, 2015.

1. snizzar

snizzar Purple Belt

Obviously the bulk of the attention is on Jones coke/T:E levels, but have most people accepted yet that Jones is just above average/mediocre with his boxing? His kickboxing looked better, but he was getting tooled hands wise. Both in boxing range and when Cormier decided to dirty box (throwing uppercuts instead of trying to purely grapple). DC was also able to close the distance without much trouble. Kinda ironic considering Jones was touted as the better striker and DC the better wrestler.

That made it all the more frustrating for me personally, watching DC have much more success striking than wrestling, yet even so continued to initiate the clinch/TD attempts. Even his coach before the 4th was like "You're a better wrestler. Take him down!". No. Just no. At least not in that fight.

Don't take this as me saying Jones is a bad striker, cause he isn't. He however isn't as elite as most fans thought, and I think it's safe to say his wrestling ability is a strong component of making his striking game look better than it actually is. It makes his Klitschko and Mayweather comments look that much more silly at this point. I do think he underestimated Gus going into their 1st fight, but this fight proved to me Alex can do what he did again so long as he can stop the TD.

2. JimmyK

JimmyK White Belt

I see what you are saying with the Boxing (hands) aspect of striking and probably agree but I dont think that meant DC outstruck Jones.

Saying Jones was a better striker included all of his striking tools (kicks, elbows, etc). I still think that was proven to be the case.

Jones didnt win over the 5 rounds because of a handful of takedowns. He won the fight standing. Admittedly his wrestling helped to keep the fight in a clinch position / against the cage (and obviously not being taken down himself) but it was this, combined with Jones' overall striking superiority, that won the fight in my opinion.

3. Pr0digy

Pr0digy I Feed Keys to Retards (⌐■_■)

It was his game plan to go in and dirty-box with him and outgrind him, as JJ put it...at which he did a better job than Cormier, hence the win. If he kept his distance he would have picked him apart even worse.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. rm95

rm95 Purple Belt

Jones boxing is average at best I think everybody knows that but this is MMA and he can use a lot more techniques than just boxing. His striking his very good but his hands aren't the best.

5. RhoneKill

RhoneKill Blue Belt

DC missed a lot of strikes. Nearly all of his kicks and in the clinch he was doing well rounds 2-3, but other than that he was losing the striking departure in every way.

Those body shots combine with all the missed stickes when releasing the clinch tired DC out and that is way JBJ took him down with ease in the 4th.

DC, like Glover, was more mentally prepared to fight a Jon that was going to play distance. Both times he walked into one of their strengths and beat them there.

I dont like to bash on people here, but to say that DC out boxed JBJ is just down right incorrect.

6. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

I believe the thread title states quite clearly "outboxed", so why are you chastising TS on the striking. it's like you never read the title and "assumed" it said "outstruck".

[​IMG]

7. Char Jawz

Char Jawz Transparent Belt

Those uppercuts were being thrown with bad intentions. I was disappointed when he relegated himself to trying to get the TD too.

8. peppo

peppo Member of the YES!!! Revolution

His boxing was on point but Jones mixed it up better with elbows and kicks.

9. Weidman

Weidman Still my booooy!

Bones won the fight. Lost a war.

10. koquerelle

koquerelle Silver Belt

Bwahaha! Good one!!! "He was getting tooled."

11. Hambone77**

Hambone77** Blue Belt

He agreed with the TS and added his own point of view. What are you trippin on.

12. JimmyK

JimmyK White Belt

13. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

the fact that he continued arguing a point that TS never stated, it's annoying.

14. JimmyK

JimmyK White Belt

Just actually read the opening post, you are making yourself look like a fool.

15. kaunman24

kaunman24 Excellent

Not sure why that was that big of a surprise to anyone. When has Jones really used his hands as a primary weapon? His reach/legth is usually leveraged for kicks or grappling.

He has never shown much power standing when it comes to punching. I was actually surprised when I saw him throwing the straight left, and the not so straight arching (partally due to Cormier's height) left hand and having some success with it. JJ's bread and butter have been his kicks, esp to the body. I was a little more surpised that JJ didn't use more knees when he felt he was winning the grappling exchanges

DC isn't a bad striker at all, especially with the wrestling to back it up. He closes distance well, and packs pretty good power. JJ showed a good chin.

16. Huligani

Huligani Number One Bullshit Double Yellow Card

It was obvious, expected, and it didn't matter in the end.

17. Hambone77**

Hambone77** Blue Belt

The whole thing looked like a kickboxing/mui thai match too me

18. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Forum Moderator

But those short elbows, man! Those elbows :rolleyes:

19. JimmyK

JimmyK White Belt

The following statements in the OP look like comments on the "striking" to me, not boxing. Apologies to TS if I have misinterpreted.

"Kinda ironic considering Jones was touted as the better striker and DC the better wrestler."

"That made it all the more frustrating for me personally, watching DC have much more success striking than wrestling,"

"Don't take this as me saying Jones is a bad striker, cause he isn't. He however isn't as elite as most fans thought,"

"wrestling ability is a strong component of making his striking game look better than it actually is."

20. Hambone77**

Hambone77** Blue Belt

Man dont apoligize for that fool