So GSP has the record for winning 33 straight rounds....

many champions don't want to fight the way gsp fought. jones finishes guys. velasquez finishes guys. weidman finishes guys. those three have a different mindset. they try finishing, while gsp muscled up in order to fight as defensive as possible for the safest win imaginable.

that's why there are a lot of people who didn't respect the way he approached fighting.
Jones has been finishing guys? Like Glover, Gus, and Rashad?

Does anyone remember if number of rds won was brought up before GSP started winning rds?

It seems to me that it was something GSP made up to divert attention from his lack of finishing ability.

I think the number of fights that a fighter goes without losing a round is more impressive than the number of rounds.

Not bashing GSP. He is the greatest WW of all time but he went 8 fights without losing a round. I can see someone in the UFC beating that.

Fedor went 28 fights without losing a round. (even though it wasn't in the UFC)

well, it's certainly not as impressive as finishing fights, because it's easier to play it safe and win on points, than it is to finish your opponent. if anything, that record shows how ineffective gsp was in fighting. he always said that his goal was to finish fights, yet he never finished in the latter half of his career.

so by his own goals, he never achieved the biggest goal in a fight, and that is to finish. as gsp himself has stated. but for anyone who isn't chugging down the kool-aid, knows that he never tried to finish. he lied to everyone during that run, and then ran away and retired the moment someone gave him his toughest fight, and in a fight where many people felt he lost.

the point-nerds may find it impressive, while everyone else laughs at such records.
Because getting beat down for 4 1/2 rounds before pulling off a triangle choke (on a guy with a known shitty submission defence) is clearly a more "dominant" win than beating the shit out of Fitch for 5 rounds.

8 fights and 33 rounds, yeesh that is not something to be too proud of

it's impressive that he never dropped a round, but its also unimpressive he fought so many rounds over the course of a few fights.

Who the hell cares, its like my friend bragging he banged more than 100 ugly fat chicks so he's the shit.

Quality over quantity

8 fights and 33 rounds, yeesh that is not something to be too proud of

it's impressive that he never dropped a round, but its also unimpressive he fought so many rounds over the course of a few fights.

To be fair....some of the winning rounds came from the Shields fight (which would have been the 9th fight)

In otherwords... he won 8 straight fights without losing a round but a few of the rounds in his 33 round streak came from the Shields fight (until the later rounds when he lost a round to Shields)

In comparison....Fedor had a 28 fight streak of not losing a single round but only fought 42 rounds in that period. One thing to note is that the finishing rate is much higher at HW (70% finishing rate which is 20% higher than then next highest finishing rate) because HWs are monsters and all that it takes is one punch sometimes.

Who the hell cares, its like my friend bragging he banged more than 100 ugly fat chicks so he's the shit.

Quality over quantity

Man.. this thread is hilarious. I get a good laughs everytime I see a thread for GSP's accomplisments. Those guys who come out of woodworks...

100 ugly fat chicks is a very good accomplisment in my book. I don't like em skinny anyways lol. Sex is sex; and if you do it regularly -> you win.

I haven't met a guy who's bragging about how he scored 5 chicks who were mega hot. It's all about the numbers bro. :icon_lol:

He is talking about the win streaks that the challengers were on when they faced GSP. Shields for example was on a 15 fight win streak when he faced GSP.

I get what he's saying, but its an intentionally misleading statement. Even if it wasn't the UFC themselves pretty much acknowledge that a streak is meaningless since not all streaks are equal.

Man.. this thread is hilarious. I get a good laughs everytime I see a thread for GSP's accomplisments. Those guys who come out of woodworks...

100 ugly fat chicks is a very good accomplisment in my book. I don't like em skinny anyways lol. Sex is sex; and if you do it regularly -> you win.

I haven't met a guy who's bragging about how he scored 5 chicks who were mega hot. It's all about the numbers bro. :icon_lol:

Any port in a storm will do. Fat romps is better than no romps.... IMO

Whats even more amazing is that Jake Shields obliterated that streak...by outstriking GSP two straight rounds.

Imagine that.

my point isn't even so much about the end result, it's about trying to finish. if you weren't acting dumb and naive, you'd know that jones tries to finish, while gsp doesn't. if you can't even admit to that, then there is no point in even debating this with you.

Because getting beat down for 4 1/2 rounds before pulling off a triangle choke (on a guy with a known shitty submission defence) is clearly a more "dominant" win than beating the shit out of Fitch for 5 rounds.

you are clueless.

my point isn't even so much about the end result, it's about trying to finish. if you weren't acting dumb and naive, you'd know that jones tries to finish, while gsp doesn't. if you can't even admit to that, then there is no point in even debating this with you.
GSP tried harder to finish Hardy and Fitch than Jones tried to finish Rashad.

I am clueless.
Ya you really are, but I'm sure you won't have a response to this other than deflection:

Simple question, which was a more dominant win? Anderson's win over Chael in the first fight or GSP's over Fitch?

GSP tried harder to finish Hardy and Fitch than Jones tried to finish Rashad.

Fitch was a living punching bag for GSP.

I think this might be the biggest beatdown (without a finish) in the history of the sport. It's amazing that Fitch was able to go the distance.

How many overhand rights did he throw at Shields. He just refused to go to the ground with him as Jackson said the only way he beats GSP is by guilotine.

Are you saying he wasnt engaged and seeking a finish on Condit? What did Diaz do to open up and create opportunities to be finished by GSP despite knowing he behind? How easily finished is Diaz in the first place?

Did GSP not throw everything he had at Alves and Fitch? Did he not almost break Dan Hardy's arm twice in that fight?

GSP lacks power, not the desire to finish fights. He never one punch or kick KO'd anyone in his entire professional carreer. He even kicked Hughes as square as you can kick a guy on the jaw and neck and it still didnt put him out. I think his resume is extremely impressive given his lack of power.

How many overhand rights did he throw at Shields. He just refused to go to the ground with him as Jackson said the only way he beats GSP is by guilotine.

Are you saying he wasnt engaged and seeking a finish on Condit? What did Diaz do to open up and create opportunities to be finished by GSP despite knowing he behind? How easily finished is Diaz in the first place?

Did GSP not throw everything he had at Alves and Fitch? Did he not almost break Dan Hardy's arm twice in that fight?

GSP lacks power, not the desire to finish fights. He never one punch or kick KO'd anyone in his entire professional carreer. He even kicked Hughes as square as you can kick a guy on the jaw and neck and it still didnt put him out. I think his resume is extremely impressive given his lack of power.

Those overhand rights were atrocious and were nothing short of desperation after Shields busted him up.

GSP simply fights to be as dominant and efficient as possible without taking unnecessary risks. Thats how TriStar operates. Win the fight with taking as few risks and gambles as possible.

GSP looked terrible at the end of his career post surgery and def wouldn't finish any of those guys despite him being dominant in his wins aside from the Hendricks fight.

I agree about GSP having no power. He doesn't even strike or use the stances to generate real KO power on top of it.

Those overhand rights were atrocious and were nothing short of desperation after Shields busted him up.

GSP simply fights to be as dominant and efficient as possible without taking unnecessary risks. Thats how TriStar operates. Win the fight with taking as few risks and gambles as possible.

GSP looked terrible at the end of his career post surgery and def wouldn't finish any of those guys despite him being dominant in his wins aside from the Hendricks fight.

I agree about GSP having no power. He doesn't even strike or use the stances to generate real KO power on top of it.

Shields did not bust him up... He eye jammied the shite out him until he was blind. Still seemed to me like he gave it his all, despite what kind of poor technique you think he displayed. I think if he went to the ground with him he would have GNP him enough to perhaps get a finish. Especially after the head kick. But then again, your talking about a guy that survived the H-Bomb.

GSP's style and skillset do not lend to him tucking his chin and walking forward alla zombie Leben. He used his skills and attributes to the best of his ability to win. Had he had a bit more power you would have seen a lot more finishes. Most finishes come from rocking a guy and then sinking in a sub, or GNP for the finish.

Back