So Greg Jackson wanted GSP to Spar with Shane Carwin?

It just has to be a respectful, careful thing which it isn't a lot of the time in gyms. Some of the worst sparring is mismatch sparring. I can understand a weight-division up or down but Carwin is known to be one of the heaviest hitters in the sport - no upside for GSP, lots of upside for Shane.

Boxing can be worked a lot with a trainer with mitts, bags, other techniques (ropes teaching bobbing and weaving, balls teaching footwork etc.). I think there is a place for sparring but it shouldn't be all the time and it should be controlled.

When I sparred with my trainer or others, they have me spar with 18 ounce gloves because I am 245 pounds and my trainer wears all sorts of protection.

I doubt they have Carwin do the same in wearing 18 ounce gloves. Even then, I think it doesn't matter anyways because he is an animal. But getting hit with 18 ounce gloves compare to 10 ounce regulated Boxing gloves or even four ounce MMA gloves is a hell of a difference.

I honestly think GSP could avoid Carwin's slow punches in sparring. GSP is just afraid to get hit. Plain and simple.

Yeah at Jacksons even Jones rolls with LWs its normal there. (ie 155er Khabilov said in his interview he rolled with JJ and sparred with Stann)
Also you can easily find photos of smth like Condit sparring with Jones

There's a good point about Diego falling on Rashad's knee. They can't have guys training in such a small open area where that can happen. Something like that messed up Nate Quarry on TUF 1.

THere was a video interview with George a couple years back when he talked about sparring with Carwin. As I recall the interviewer asked him what technique he used to deal with the size difference?

GSP answered, "hit and run..."

Spar?
Like kickbox or grapple?

Either way, what's the big deal from Georges or Dana?
I doubt shane is cold KO'ing guys in practice just fucking around and GSP is elite enough to know to deal with someone that size.

I dont get the outrage at all.

Yeah but how would that benefit either of them. Shane won't fight anyone as small as GSP, maybe Barry but his size is in his legs and could fight at LHW. And GSP won't fight anyone near the size of Carwin.

And one wrong move from either of them and all I see is GSP with a messed up leg from grappling or an Eastman cut above his brow from striking.

it shouldn't be a problem for a 200 lb guy to spar with a 260 guy, so long as the 260 lb guy knows how to spar without hurting his partner.

and carwin is so effing slow that gsp should be able to avoid that power.

well you forget my friend this is not when Shane is cutting for a fight..
So he must have been at least 7 feet tall and 500 lb.

we all know Shane is a master height cutter.

I honestly think GSP could avoid Carwin's slow punches in sparring. GSP is just afraid to get hit. Plain and simple.
Yeah, that's why he became a professional fighter. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's why he became a professional fighter. :rolleyes:

Ah come on. he is afraid. Its not like Carwin has any power in his hand. :rolleyes:
Carwin never hurt anyone standing at HW.

Why the fuck would GSP spar with Carwin at all? He might be able to avoid the punches but WHY THE FUCK spar with one of the biggest guys in MMA? What's GSP supposed to learn? GSP would learn more from sparring with Dodson.

I dont see anything wrong on sparring with Carwin, that could be helpfull if after training with him he can get used to figh against bigger guys like Silva, also he can make easier for GSP to deal with fighters with long reach at his weightclass, like Nick.

Lets hope he learn to do some cool prefight taunt also, cuz i dont want to see GSP again doing that sissy cartwheel he did before fighting Condit.

I dont see anything wrong on sparring with Carwin, that could be helpfull if after training with him he can get used to figh against bigger guys like Silva, also he can make easier for GSP to deal with fighters with long reach at his weightclass, like Nick.

Lets hope he learn to do some cool prefight taunt also, cuz i dont want to see GSP again doing that sissy cartwheel he did before fighting Condit.

Long reach?

Why spar with Carwin at all? The man is not know for good boxing or long reach.
He is known for his POWER even in short punches.
The man has no cardio and is not really that great of a wrestler, holds a purple belt I believe in BJJ.

The only thing GSP could gain from sparring with Carwin is an accidental KO from Carwins lunch box sized fists.

GSP COULD benefit from sparring/ grappling with bigger fighters which he does.
or example he rolles with Roger Gracie.

It's beneficial to spar with better and/or bigger guys. It makes you more aware, and I doubt Shane was his everyday sparring partner, hence the "today". Shane isn't gonna KO him, he knows how to control force.

Back