So Greg Jackson wanted GSP to Spar with Shane Carwin?

they said spar, not grapple. And he already grapples with people much larger.

themoreyouknow.jpg

did George spar with bigger pro's then Carwin?

the guy used to walk around at 265 lbs for fuck sake

who's they? always said "roll" in my BJJ and MMA experience.

Joe Motherfucking Rogan.
I've heard him throw it around a couple of times.

"Roll" "Spar" "Grapple"; i dont think there's a strict word for everyone to follow

did George spar with bigger pro's then Carwin?

the guy used to walk around at 265 lbs for fuck sake

much larger than himself, not carwin.

don't be daft,
shad and jardine for just to examples, are two weight classes higher..

Joe Motherfucking Rogan.
I've heard him throw it around a couple of times.

"Roll" "Spar" "Grapple"; i dont think there's a strict word for everyone to follow

not talking about rogans high ass, even though i can't think of a specific time when he's used spar, for ground work, but maybe.

in all of my experience, when we "spar" we are striking, when we "roll" we are grappling.

much larger than himself, not carwin.

don't be daft,
shad and jardine for just to examples, are two weight classes higher..

no doubt but consider having to remove someone weighting 220lbs from the top of you and then 265lbs

the effort becomes exponentially harder

Carwin could just sit on him

no doubt but consider having to remove someone weighting 220lbs from the top of you and then 265lbs

the effort becomes exponentially harder

Carwin could just sit on him

more like pointless....

People saying this is no big deal should probably read the stories about Hector Lombard trying to KO everyone he spars with.

This

Theres a theory that Shaubs jaw is largely shot because of regularly sparring with carwin. Having personally trained at grudge I can say they spar very fucking hard more often than not so it could be dangerous for georges.

Dana White: "Greg Jackson won't let his fighters fight each other. What a piece of shit!"

Dana White: "Greg Jackson is letting his fighters spar together. They could get hurt! What a piece of shit!"

Spar?
Like kickbox or grapple?

Either way, what's the big deal from Georges or Dana?
I doubt shane is cold KO'ing guys in practice just fucking around and GSP is elite enough to know to deal with someone that size.

I dont get the outrage at all.

You don't get the outrage? The guy came up with the game plan to beat BJ Penn and NIck Diaz and you don't get the outrage? Greg could save a puppy from drowing and people would pretend he's trying to "get more fans".

This

Theres a theory that Shaubs jaw is largely shot because of regularly sparring with carwin. Having personally trained at grudge I can say they spar very fucking hard more often than not so it could be dangerous for georges.

If true then maybe Dana is telling the truth about this story

Maybe Jackson was just trying to test GSP's ability to not say yes to everything his trainers ask him to do? I am under the impression Greg is the optimum coach in this business so its hard for me to believe that he just wanted G and C to go all out on each other like that.

Maybe Firas was consulted after the proposition was made. Coaches are a good thing but what it really comes up to is who you train with at this level of competition.

not talking about rogans high ass, even though i can't think of a specific time when he's used spar, for ground work, but maybe.

in all of my experience, when we "spar" we are striking, when we "roll" we are grappling.

that has been my experience as well

Same here. I started bjj in 2005 and this is how I've always heard it. Not until very recent years have I heard rolling referred to as "sparring." It makes me cringe a little every time.

Greg wanted to teach GSP how to decision someone bigger than him I assume?

Also, inb4 "GSP is ducking Carwin"

Didn't Cub Swanson break half his face in training from getting knee'd in the face, when i first heard that all i thought was '' WHO THE FUCK KNEE'D YOU, ALISTAR!''

Sorry, I agree that it sucks to get hit in the head, but how the fuck do you get good at boxing without boxing?

It just has to be a respectful, careful thing which it isn't a lot of the time in gyms. Some of the worst sparring is mismatch sparring. I can understand a weight-division up or down but Carwin is known to be one of the heaviest hitters in the sport - no upside for GSP, lots of upside for Shane.

Boxing can be worked a lot with a trainer with mitts, bags, other techniques (ropes teaching bobbing and weaving, balls teaching footwork etc.). I think there is a place for sparring but it shouldn't be all the time and it should be controlled.

Dana White makes a good point. I just see a lot of GSP groupies and Greg Jackson worshipers on here acting all butt hurt because it was Dana White who said it.

I've seen people get KO'd often in sparring. I'm not a fan of contact sparring even with head-gear at the best of times let alone between a HW and a WW.

I agree, this is stupid especially with that camp's rep for busting each other up during training...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back