So Felipe has Pena got hhd...

its crazy how far tex has come i remember when we were both browns he was a good brown but never would have thought hed got to this level i guess after he left mma he really fully concentrated on bjj

goes t showif you move to top gyms you can go very far

Well its both a matter of talent and environment. I have seen guys with avg talent go to "top gyms" all they have is a busted up body and they didnt improve that much, all they got was the ability to say that they trained with "such and such". They didnt improve like one would imagine. Those are the guys who usually end up name dropping in conversations and are full of stories.

Now the guys with talent? They evolve into a different animal.

Last edited:
Craig was in 50/50 when he got his back taken by kaynan no?

Granted kaynan was standing.
It was outside ashi. Craig was trying to turn his hips through to get to saddle (he doesn’t like outside ashi and tries to transition out to saddle against good opponents) but Kaynan stuffed the turn, controlled the hip, and took the back.

atm in my hometown in ms moving soon though no goodtraining here we only have 2 purples
Damn lol. Where you moving to? How far are you from Alan Belcher? There's a loose Relson connection via Daniel Moraes

Anyone can PM me a link? I wanna see the vid

Folks might not recall but 50/50 was something Felipe was 'known for' at brown and black belt on the ibjjf circuit. Perhaps it was a combination of A: feeling confident in the position due to long experience, and B: misplaced instinct due to familiarity in using the position without heel hooks (Gordon Ryan usually avoids it).
Felipe was going to 50/50 against Gordon as a defensive measure.

Well its both a matter of talent and environment. I have seen guys with avg talent go to "top gyms"
Tex had a 13:10 record in mma so he didn't have any talent to speak of in that.

Craig was in 50/50 when he got his back taken by kaynan no?

Granted kaynan was standing.

It wasn't a true 50/50 position because Kaynan leg was not across Craig body. It was double outside ashi garami since Kaynan's leg was still on the outside. It's a small detail but it makes a big positional difference.

Interesting, Tex Jhonson just did what Gordon couldn’t do twice... even more interesting is that Felipe couldn’t escape the position from 50/50... these days saddle is considered a way better attacking position than 50/50... are we going to see the Renaince of 50/50??

50/50 is a great spot for a strong and aggressive guy like Tex Johnson since it's hard for his opponent to stop him from relentlessly digging for the heel exposure. He also heel hooked Jackson Souza from 50/50 in an earlier match.

50/50 is a great spot for a strong and aggressive guy like Tex Johnson since it's hard for his opponent to stop him from relentlessly digging for the heel exposure. He also heel hooked Jackson Souza from 50/50 in an earlier match.

Jackson Souza threatened Pena with a strong heel hook earlier also, had him grimacing

13 MMA wins all by finish. He beat Misha Cirkunov. What's your record?
I don't do MMA. Why should I do it? I wouldn't say I'm talented in BJJ either.
His win over Felipe Pena is a lot more impressive than all his MMA wins put together.

Last edited:
It was outside ashi. Craig was trying to turn his hips through to get to saddle (he doesn’t like outside ashi and tries to transition out to saddle against good opponents) but Kaynan stuffed the turn, controlled the hip, and took the back.

it's funny, the exact technique Kaynan used is shown by Craig on his Down Under Leg Attacks instructional. I specifically recall Craig's direction that you shelve opponent's hip with your knee. Outside ashi is just not a great position to be in for too long unless you're going for a finish or have a direct line on a transition to a better spot.

it's funny, the exact technique Kaynan used is shown by Craig on his Down Under Leg Attacks instructional. I specifically recall Craig's direction that you shelve opponent's hip with your knee. Outside ashi is just not a great position to be in for too long unless you're going for a finish or have a direct line on a transition to a better spot.
There are some details that I’ve picked up from studying Cummings that make the position harder to counter like that, but yeah, the typical way of holding it is very vulnerable to a hip control counter if you don’t already have the heel exposed and sometimes even if you do.

Damn lol. Where you moving to? How far are you from Alan Belcher? There's a loose Relson connection via Daniel Moraes
im about 3 hours i first trained with him when i was 18 10 years ago i went there for a month and taught there while iw as training for a fight one of my biggest regrets is not moving there and teaching full time when he offered me.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ba4a7e273c3a14e2aafec25f1f45232e&oe=5D326DDC

mikey is under daniel i think daniels in brazil right now due to visa issues

Back