So Felipe has Pena got hhd...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BJJ_Rage, Apr 7, 2019.

1. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Interesting, Tex Jhonson just did what Gordon couldn’t do twice... even more interesting is that Felipe couldn’t escape the position from 50/50... these days saddle is considered a way better attacking position than 50/50... are we going to see the Renaince of 50/50??

dmwalking likes this.
  2. ChainFlow

ChainFlow Brown Belt

50/50 is already well on its way to a comeback in the leglocking meta. For one thing, entering 50/50 is a good way to keep your heelhook and not get your back taken against Felipe Pena’s favorite saddle counter. Secondly, it’s a harder position to escape from than saddle (with single leg control, anyway). Thirdly, it’s easier to generate heel exposure from 50/50 than saddle against a competent opponent.

As escapes and defenses against the saddle-focused meta have risen, 50/50 has become an important method of breaking through said defenses. All the old downsides of 50/50 remain, but it is rapidly regaining its old place as an efficient way to keep control of someone who only wishes to escape the leg game and finish them with a heelhook. Someone like Pena.

This is kinda a touchy subject for me because I’d started transitioning to 50/50 to finish heelhooks against one of my students who is incredibly good at defending them from saddle. I filmed a video on it and was starting to edit it together and then I see that Lachlan Giles and Craig Jones have been teaching a better version of my transition. Oh well.

3. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Brown Belt

its crazy how far tex has come i remember when we were both browns he was a good brown but never would have thought hed got to this level i guess after he left mma he really fully concentrated on bjj

goes t showif you move to top gyms you can go very far

4. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Where does he train at?

5. ChainFlow

ChainFlow Brown Belt

Unity, with Murillo Santana, the Miyaos, and Eddie Cummings.

beat...people...up? likes this.
  6. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Well he is training with Eddie Cummings himself directly.

7. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Brown Belt

he use t train outside of atl with a good friend of mine ina small gym theyw ere both teaching with then he got hooked up with allliance then went to lepris had a split from there and is at unity now but it goes t show that if you can get to a top gym tody u can be world class material

BJJ_Rage likes this.
  8. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

It's usually polite to reference a happening without putting spoilers in the title; for many people forum posts can be the first time they hear about matchups or events they might be interested in.

OCEANCIDAL and andrewm2211 like this.
  9. Loole_92

Loole_92 White Belt

I've heard he was not the safest training partner at Alliance.

10. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Injuring people with leg locks?

11. EGDM

EGDM Blue Belt

I was at Alliance with Tex for ~4 years. I like him as a person, but would not want to train with him regularly and you couldn't pay me to compete against him. I honestly believe he does not have bad intentions but he somehow cannot manage to keep from injuring people.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  12. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Did random injuries just happen more when training with him or is he just hurting people with leglocks?

13. EGDM

EGDM Blue Belt

He was always a "roll hard" kind of guy so I'm sure there's a share of random injuries related to that, but it was mostly excessive velocity/power with subs and the occasional slow release. At the time heel hooks weren't such a big thing so it was mostly a lot of jacked-up ankles and the odd knee.

dimmyfinster likes this.
  14. NSchoke

NSchoke Green Belt

It almost looks like Pena wasn't taking him/the position too seriously. I'm sure he's not the only one who was caught off guard by this.

I don't think Tex saw the same defense Gordon did.

Gordon has tapped both Tex and Kaynan at black belt.

15. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

I doubt Pena takes anybody lightly in 50/50. He wasn't caught being super aggressive or trying to some fancy crowd pleasing shit.

16. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Where do you train these days?

17. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

Folks might not recall but 50/50 was something Felipe was 'known for' at brown and black belt on the ibjjf circuit. Perhaps it was a combination of A: feeling confident in the position due to long experience, and B: misplaced instinct due to familiarity in using the position without heel hooks (Gordon Ryan usually avoids it).

18. asian-glow

asian-glow Orange Belt

Craig was in 50/50 when he got his back taken by kaynan no?

Granted kaynan was standing.

19. Chandler sama

Chandler sama Green Belt

He got caught in the same transition Craig Jones explained in that long BJJ fanatics video I posted about 2 weeks ago. He switches from the 4/11 position to 50/50 when people try that standing escape. 50/50 is a weaker position than 4/11 in my opinion, but during the standing escape the defender has to put their leg and hands on the ground or at least away from you. When you switch to 50/50 the defender has nothing to defend with. Tex transitioned fairly slowly, but Pena still wasn't able to defend in time. I think Lachlin Giles did a video on it and Craig Jones said he was making a new leglock DVD with new info based upon recent leg lock defenses and I'm sure this will be included. I believe Craig Jones also used this transition to beat Tim Spriggs recently.

Ironically I think the reason Pena got caught is because so many people saw how he beat Gordon Ryan using that defense and people came up with this counter to stop it. I love to see BJJ evolve and find solutions to problems.

mattemate and ChainFlow like this.
  20. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Brown Belt

atm in my hometown in ms moving soon though no goodtraining here we only have 2 purples

mattemate likes this.