So far, the mainstream media doesn't care too much

It's the US everyone does drugs there come on. Not a big deal. It has nothing to do with how popular mma is.

Is a serious matter, but maybe mainstream media is waiting for the NSAC and UFC to make a statement about what will happen to JBJ in order to unleash all sorts of crap regarding the topic, as allways media tends to exagerate stuff

Jones reminds me of when Dwight Gooden first burst on the scene - the most dominant young pitcher I've ever witnessed. In one year of brilliance, he was hailed as the greatest athlete of the generation, one which included Lawrence Taylor and Mike Tyson. And it all came crashing down from cocaine.

Come to think of it, they look similar too.

Well at least he's not beating up women and killing people like the guys in the NFL. Honestly with all the things that happen in other sports this is pretty tame.

the world doesn't care that Jon Jones got popped for coke, it barely registers in American sporting news let alone the real stuff

To be fair, MSM doesn't care much about MMA/UFC in general.

It's on Sherdog and that's all that matters.

My good pal is a host of Pittsburgh's drive time sports talk radio show on a cbs affiliate. They don't care about mma there as they assume it's fake and or corrupt. Can't blame them. My buddy asked me what is the story behind Dana white is

It was the leading story on ESPN for about 5 minutes until NCAA Basketball popped up. I get your point though. Double edged sword.

NCAA basketball, really

man mma is really far from mainstream

or is NCAA basketball that big

Just scanned some major news sites. Obviously, the Jones news has surfaced on ESPN.com's home page, but it's not even the lead story. It's not even registering at all on non-sports news sites like CNN, FoxNews, ABC, NBC etc (it no doubt would if Lebron, Aaron Rodgers, David Beckham etc popped for blow).

This just goes to show that MMA really is still very much on the fringe. But the good news on that is that I really don't think think the UFC will have much egg on its face from this. Not enough people care.

Meh, Ricky Hatton got popped for blow when he was near the height of his popularity and it didn't break the internet either... Same goes for De La Hoya (I believe) and he was on Letterman!

NCAA basketball, really

man mma is really far from mainstream

or is NCAA basketball that big
chartoftheday_1014_TV_ad_revenue_during_postseason_sports_in_the_US_n.jpg

its bigger here than the world cup is. and ncaa football is bigger still.

what can I say? Americans love to support higher learning institutions.

every senior on Alabama's football team is more famous than 95% of pro mma fighters.

Jones haters are so excited they are repeatedly hitting refresh on news sites waiting for this to break

Mainstream media doesn't care unless a UFC fighter does some stupid stunt so they can fuel the stereotype of MMA fighters being thugs and criminals. That's what they are interested in.

and drug abuse doesnt fit the description of a thug/criminal?

Back