So far, the mainstream media doesn't care too much

mma midwest fan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just scanned some major news sites. Obviously, the Jones news has surfaced on ESPN.com's home page, but it's not even the lead story. It's not even registering at all on non-sports news sites like CNN, FoxNews, ABC, NBC etc (it no doubt would if Lebron, Aaron Rodgers, David Beckham etc popped for blow).

This just goes to show that MMA really is still very much on the fringe. But the good news on that is that I really don't think think the UFC will have much egg on its face from this. Not enough people care.

When you click on cnn sports, it goes to bleacher report which is covering this story. Go to nbc sports and it's covered as a top headline...no idea where you were looking for these stories.

lol of course the mainstream media doesn't give a shit about mma

My local news paper better have it front page when I wake up

You really think Jon Jones testing positive for coke would be on NBC Nightly News? There's a big world out there buddy.

Just scanned some major news sites. Obviously, the Jones news has surfaced on ESPN.com's home page, but it's not even the lead story. It's not even registering at all on non-sports news sites like CNN, FoxNews, ABC, NBC etc (it no doubt would if Lebron, Aaron Rodgers, David Beckham etc popped for blow).

This just goes to show that MMA really is still very much on the fringe. But the good news on that is that I really don't think think the UFC will have much egg on its face from this. Not enough people care.

It was the leading story on ESPN for about 5 minutes until NCAA Basketball popped up. I get your point though. Double edged sword.

When you click on cnn sports, it goes to bleacher report which is covering this story. Go to nbc sports and it's covered as a top headline...no idea where you were looking for these stories.

I was talking about the main news pages, not the sports sections. If the GOAT biggest star in any other mainstream sport had done this, it would rise to the top of all news minus some major worldwide breaking news.

A rich guy got busted with coke, of course they don't care.

Now, if a low-income person were caught with weed, it would be in the paper and the person's life would be ruined.

Also, maybe nobody cares about Jon Jones. Maybe MMA is still a bit niche audience, and the only ones who care are MMA fans. MMA isn't Golf, Boxing or NFL.

If Kobe were on Coke they would talk about it nonstop

MMA minor leagues yo

If Kobe were on Coke they would talk about it nonstop

MMA minor leagues yo

kobestare.gif

its not the biggest article or anything, but it is on cnn's front page.

why would they give a shit. he popped for a cocaine metabolite while he was out of competition. has no bearing on the jan 3rd decision.

Just shows the dwindling popularity of MMA (at least in the US). I actually heard about it on sports radio on 2 stations but they didn't go in depth about it. If this had been the most popular athlete in the NFL/NBA/MLB and even the NHL they would have been talking non-stop about it.

Back