so do you always circle away from the power hand?

You never want to always do one thing, otherwise they will figure you out and eventually make you pay for it. Always try to mix things up, whether it be the way your moving or the way you are defending (slips,parrys,moving out,blocking). Basically never try to get into a pattern or you will get beat down.

Use the jab to circle in the power hand. If you do it correctly you'll get hit less because they have to pivot before using their power hand

True, sometimes....... unless they throw it right over or under that jab?

That said, you should be throwing that jab regardless of which direction your circling....

You never want to always do one thing, otherwise they will figure you out and eventually make you pay for it. Always try to mix things up, whether it be the way your moving or the way you are defending (slips,parrys,moving out,blocking). Basically never try to get into a pattern or you will get beat down.

Well said........

The principle of creating effective offense is to be able to anticipate your opponents reaction before he makes it, thus your reaction is always 1 step ahead and your opponents trying to catch up...... That is the very basic idea of "controlling the fight".

To give the shortest explanation i can think of..... the basic offensive idea for circling is to get your opponent following you, once he is following changing direction quickly is a great way to set up offense.

Remember, if your both orthodox, you may be circling away from his power hand, but your also circling away from yours as well (assuming right is the power hand)...... the idea in circling is to bait him into your right hand, just as much if not more than it may be to avoid his!

Last edited:
It seems a lot easier for me to move to my left because I can throw the jab better that way.

^He made a good point about how you should throw it regardless of the direction your going though.

It seems a lot easier for me to move to my left because I can throw the jab better that way.

I agree, it is easier to throw jabs in multiples as well when i am moving to my left.....

Personally, If i am fighting or sparring a guy who i know has a big right hand i actually prefer moving to his right and throwing my jab because it is more natural for me to keep circling that direction and doubling or tripling up my jab to keep his right pinned up, or to get him to over commit or try to force his right hand making it far easier to slip, duck, pull away or counter it.

on the other hand, if i am kick boxing and I know my opponent has a big heavy right leg i am more likely to circle right and try to make him chase or over commit to the right kick..... as mentioned, there is no 1 ideal way, it depends on the variables.....

Back