so do you always circle away from the power hand?

war path

White Belt
Reaction score
when striking are you always supposed to circle away from the power hand?

when striking are you always supposed to circle away from the power hand?

It's not an absolute rule, but you assume a lot of risk when you start moving towards that thing. Most people are not comfortable taking that risk.

Ask Bisping about moving towards the power hand. Hendo almost killed him, and he is still doing it.

I would not move to that side, it is already their power side. Why would you want to put your momentum going forward(which in this case is going to work against you)to make the impact that much more devastating?

Ask Bisping about moving towards the power hand. Hendo almost killed him, and he is still doing it.

I would not move to that side, it is already their power side. Why would you want to put your momentum going forward(which in this case is going to work against you)to make the impact that much more devastating?

of course fighters especially at the top of the game are going to move towards both sides. yeah maybe 80-90 percent of the time you'll be circling away from it, but you can't get too predictable....definitely ahve to mix it up

The idea is to but it can also be detrimental because you're going the same way all the time which means that sometimes you do have to circle towards the power hand but don't do it often and I tend to walk towards someone more when I circle towards their power because then I can get inside and they worry about that more than throwing heavy hands.

But he didn't stop doing it all the time like he always has. It got him ktfo by hendo, and rocked by wanderlei. It just seems strange to me. Yeah your going to move to that side sometimes, but not as much as he does. It is probably a hard thing to break, especially if that is the way he trains.

bisping is the master at this technique.....not

For our fourth of july party this year, i found a shit load of John Wayne shorts. There was one called...America why I love her. One talking about the alamo, The intro on the first episode of Gunsmoke, and a bunch of commercials and shit. Man by the end of the night all my chinese friends were so drunk, we were trying to tell them Chuck Norris and John Wayne single handidly fought of the rest of the world on the fourth of july, and liberated america. That was a HILARIOUS ass night.

That's a strategy for someone who fights flatfooted and doesn't have a decent jab. That being said, I mostly circle behind my jab.

Simple do you want to get possibly hit by a jab or a cross? I'll take eating a jab over walking into a cross any day

you dont have to but i do it almost all the time

Oh he's talking about against a real live opponent , not a hanging heavy bag.

:icon_lol:

Oh! I thought he meant against a knife fighting illiterate wanna be fighter! :icon_chee

Oh! I thought he meant against a knife fighting illiterate wanna be fighter! :icon_chee

As if....you know you prefer your target to be swinging off a chain with no arms or legs

lol

Makes you feel like a man without ever competing ...huh bigboy ?

Dont worry im sure somebody'll be around asking how to do a groin stretch.....:icon_lol:

Simple do you want to get possibly hit by a jab or a cross? I'll take eating a jab over walking into a cross any day

First off, who says a jab and a cross are the only punches you can throw?

Second, don't always assume the power hand is the rear hand....... just because it is the hand in back doesn't necessarily make it the "power hand", go watch a couple Mike Tyson, Oscar De La Hoya or Joe Frasier fights........ would ya wanna walk into those left hooks?

It's not an absolute rule, but you assume a lot of risk when you start moving towards that thing. Most people are not comfortable taking that risk.
You assume risk regardless......... there are a lot of variables that can come into play, reach, height, stance, style, etc..... and it wouldn't be hard to write several pages on this topic......

But let me give you this scenario. Both orthodox fighters using the most basic fundamentals, your circling to the guys left and he throws a jab, you slip the jab outside, which way does your head move after you have slipped that jab before you can keep circling to your right? Yep, it moves back to your left in the center of your stance........ What do ya think guys who want to land a right hand throw behind that jab? Yep again, a straight right hand, that your head is now moving right back into!

Alternatively, your circling right toward his power hand and you slip his right hand to the outside and keep circling right........ Recovering from a missed right hand takes a little longer and requires more effort, hence giving you more time to counter or create offense. In short, if you make him miss a jab you still got to worry about his right hand, if you make him miss his right or power hand...... well that is probably less risky scenario to create offense, not more risky..... just a thought

Not always, but usually. I am being told to do it that way.

Use the jab to circle in the power hand. If you do it correctly you'll get hit less because they have to pivot before using their power hand

Back