So DC, who will win this Saturday? Glover or Rumble?

I'd love to see glover turn rumble into a panic wrestler like Vitor did, but it probably won't happen.

I sure miss trtor

There's nothing fantastic or delusory about having excellence as one's primary goal. We've seen a few fighters ask for ridiculous matchups lately because they expect them to be more lucrative. However, as you point out, fighting for money and wanting to fight the best aren't mutually exclusive: nobody who holds a UFC belt is going on food stamps. This makes it harder to rationalise the quest for spectacle paydays.
If you've become champion, you've already achieved excellence. I'm not saying that fighters subjugate excellence in favor of money. But if there's a one-off chance to make big money, every single fighter would take it. As would you at your job.

Since when is "being on food stamps" the litmus test for legitimizing the desire for more money? These guys have a short window to make as much money as possible. Begrudging a fighter for trying to maximize his/her earning potential in a short career is absurd and condescending. There's a level of pretentiousness in some random Joe Blow telling a perfect stranger what should be their primary goal in their career.

If you've become champion, you've already achieved excellence. I'm not saying that fighters subjugate excellence in favor of money. But if there's a one-off chance to make big money, every single fighter would take it. As would you at your job.

Since when is "being on food stamps" the litmus test for legitimizing the desire for more money? These guys have a short window to make as much money as possible. Begrudging a fighter for trying to maximize his/her earning potential in a short career is absurd and condescending. There's a level of pretentiousness in some random Joe Blow telling a perfect stranger what should be their primary goal in their career.

I don't buy that there's any pretentiousness in public dismay at proposed spectacle fights. Sports, like any other business, operate at the intersection of supply and demand: it's perfectly legitimate for us to want fights that meet certain criteria. I think you misconstrue this preference as personal advice; I'm not "telling a perfect stranger what should be their primary goal in their career." Rather, I'm articulating a view on what orientation befits a UFC champion--a position that exists for public consumption and is therefore fair game for the audience to have preferences about. If somebody's primary career goal is to make a lot of money, I have no business objecting but I can object if he chooses to do so by undermining something I look to consume.

I agree in principle. For example, if you want Bisping to fight Jacare instead of Hendo, you are absolutely justified to express that desire. I don't want the Hendo fight either. And if you believe that champions should always fight the number one contender and should never go for the money fight, then by all means say so. That's far different than what goes on on these boards, which are bombarded with people claiming that "true fighters" don't take money fights, and calling them ducks and cowards. It's absurd and displays a lack of critical thinking.

That is a true champ and despite fighting last year there is no doubt Rumble is rightfull #1 contender with 1 top 10 and 2 top 5 (if he beats Glover) wins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back