So Dana scored the fight for...

Dana only knows money. Not surprised at all. If the roles have been reversed and Gus is the defending champ and Jones was the challenger he would say Gus won. Dana is full of it and everyone knows.

Said the judges, who absolutely always get everything right without fail, correct?

He lost the first 3 rounds and had a 30 second spurt of success after getting picked apart for the first 4.5 minutes of round. The ONLY round he solidly won was round 5. Gus edged the first 3 and arguably did enough for a draw in round 4. If gus was so badly hurt, Jones would have finished one of his two takedown attempts following the elbow, but what happened? Jones stuffed him twice and shoved him to the ground afterward. Sounds real close to getting finished...not.

If you want to keep arguing Jones won, by all means do it. You're just clearly a minority view this time and have to see the fight with an innate bias and give Jones every benefit of the doubt possible for him to win.

First of all Gus was hurt badly in that round which prompted him to flee and that is accurate. Also I never said Gus was almost finished, I said Jones rocked him and hurt him badly and that is true. Jones rocked Gus with an elbow and had him hurt badly which prompted Gus to flee the encounter and was bloodied up.

There is no minority in this issue, your are being a loud ass and trying to trumpet your opinion and all it is an opinion as is mine. I could careless if you disliked Jones mother, its your opinion and I have mine as does Dana. But dont come on here trying to show a picture and tell a false story. You think Gus won is fine and I dont hold that against you but some people thought jones won as did the judges.

The fight was competitive and jones edged it out, that is all. I thought Jones did enough to win the fight, it is what it is.

Last edited:
First of all Gus was hurt badly in that round which prompted him to flee and that is accurate. Also I never said Gus was almost finished, I said Jones rocked him and hurt him badly and that is true. Jones rocked Gus with an elbow and had him hurt badly which prompted Gus to flee the encounter and was bloodied up.

There is no minority in this issue, your are being a loud ass and trying to trumpet your opinion and all it is an opinion as is mine. I could careless if you disliked Jones mother, its your opinion and I have mine as does Dana has his. But dont come on here trying to show a picture and tell a false story. You think Gus won is fine and I dont hold that against you but some people thought jones won as did the judges.

The fight was competitive and jones edged it out, that is all. I thought Jones did enough to win the fight, it is what it is.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-do-you-think-won-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-2564389/

60% for Gus, 32% for Jones, 7% for Draw.

The other poll on Sherdog shows a huge majority for Gus 1 & 2, and about 57% in favor of Gus in round 3. In other words, the Jones Won crowd is a minority this time.

However, you have come across as more reasonable than most of the other guys arguing Jones have won, who have commonly said he wasn't trying hard to take Gus down to show off his striking, almost finished Gus in round 4, and lots of other biased nonsense. Perhaps I was being a bit too aggressive against you. If you want to think Jones won, fine, you're entitled to that opinion. But to act like Jones was in no way the UFC's dog in this fight and gained absolutely no benefit of the doubt from his situation is being a little naive and idealistic. Such considerations shouldn't play a role in public statements or fight outcomes, but they often do.

For what it's worth, if Gus was already the champion on a long winning streak, I'm pretty sure that Dana would have expressed support for him after the fight too.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-do-you-think-won-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-2564389/

60% for Gus, 32% for Jones, 7% for Draw.

The other poll on Sherdog shows a huge majority for Gus 1 & 2, and about 57% in favor of Gus in round 3. In other words, the Jones Won crowd is a minority this time.

Its opinions and I dont take sherdog polls seriously at all and when it regards jones, its not even worth mentioning. Sherdog is not a place that I take a jones poll seriously, sorry.

Like I said earlier, it was a close fight and some people think Jones did enough to win the fight as did Dana and myself and many others. Jones got the nod and it is what it is.

Doesn't matter. If he had scored it for Gus he would still tell the media that he scored it for Jones.

If Dana says it then you know who really won, that guy is "wrong" more often than hes right

Most of the people hate jones so not a suprise most think that he lost

Dana only knows money. Not surprised at all. If the roles have been reversed and Gus is the defending champ and Jones was the challenger he would say Gus won. Dana is full of it and everyone knows.

This guy gets it.

People see what they want to see and Jones has an army of Haters. He won 2,4 and 5. It was a close fight, but Jones won it. People need to get over and it and just look forward to the rematch. I know I am.
This. Exactly.

I like both Jones and Gus, but admittedly I was pulling more for Jones (and will again for the rematch). I really think those saying Gus won are affected by Gus' unexpected performance - as in Gus fought Jones a lot tougher than expected. I know I was. I think Rogan was too, as every time Gus landed a combo he was noticeably excited (as if he didn't expect Gus to land on Jones that easily). On the other hand, Rogan was quiet when Jones landed those step-in elbows on Gus. Going in the 5th round, Rogan commented that MAYBE Jones would need a finish to win the fight. I thought that comment was absurd as the previous rounds were very close (I had it as dead even with Jones winning rd 2 and 4, and Gus winning rd 1 and 3). Round 5 clearly was all Jones so it wasn't a surprise at all to me when all 3 judges scored it for Jones.

Pretty much if you scored it for Jones, people will attempt to discredit you.

Majority of the fans and fighters scored the fight for Gus and i think they're right. Jones is a tough sob and an amazing fighter, but Gus is in my opinion a better fighter and i think he showed that.

And for the record, Dana is always going to back the champ. More money for them to make if Jones is the champ.

Did Dana "back" Machida after the first Shogun fight or did he say that he thought Shogun won and order an immediate rematch? Take the foil hat off and pull your head out of your ass.

It's my opinion and i think he won that fight. Dana is never gonna back the unknown swede in this one. Come on dude.

Chael thought Gustafsson won. Watch the mma hour.

Chael also thought he won the first Silva fight.

Dana was quick to throw Machida under the bus following the first Shogun fight; I think his eagerness to have the champ's back is directly proportional to how much he personally likes a guy (Edgar, after Bendo clearly beat him the first time), and also the UFC's investment in a particular fighter.

The UFC had no marketing muscle or media hype put behind Machida, which is why they didn't hesitate to quickly give Shogun a rematch, claim he won, etc. However, the UFC did have a lot invested in Jones, considering they've been hyping him up as the future GOAT/MMA's Muhammad Ali/Moral Beacon of Inspiration to All of Humanity for the past two and a half years now.

It would have been bad for business for the heavily hyped American to lose after the UFC put so much into him, and it would have been even more moronic for Dana to say his golden boy was lucky to escape with a win after such a huge investment.

The UFC's investment in Jones colored both the decision in the fight (no way Jones was going to lose a close one, even if he was clearly edged) and this post-fight comment from Dana. He could probably be thinking that Gus beat Jones and deserves an immediate rematch, but he'd never say that in a million years; it'd look ridiculously stupid considering everything the UFC has put behind the public concept of "Jon Jones the Unbeatable God Monster/Christian Role Model." That image has to be protected.

It's too bad for Gus, but it's not exactly surprising things shook out this way when you consider the external factors.

FYI genius, Dana did say almost exactly that after the fight (on the post fight show). He said that he didn't score the fight but thought Gus won and that there might very well be a rematch and Texiera would just have to wait if that happens. He said that he'd watch it again and score it then see what he feels after he actually scores the fight.

He has to say Jones won, you moron; if you'd spent the past two and a half years hyping a guy up and preparing to build your company around him, you can't say he just lost a fight. It's bad for business, especially since it would run counter to everything they've done for almost three years. The UFC is a business, first and foremost, and Jones is the guy they invested in. He has to be protected.

If you're an American company, do you want an American wrestler you've spent three years hyping up as your champion, or do you want a swedish striker basically no one but hardcore fans had even heard about before December 2012?

I look forward to hearing your next ridiculously blind, obstinate riposte.

Dana and the UFC had been hyping Machida like crazy and Dana said that he thought Shogun won and ordered an immediate rematch. I think those facts show that YOU are the moron.

I don't like Jones anymore than the rest of you kids. He won rounds 3, 4, and 5. Get the fuck over it. Poor bastard fought his heart out and you punks are ripping him apart. Fuck you guys.

Dana and the UFC had been hyping Machida like crazy and Dana said that he thought Shogun won and ordered an immediate rematch. I think those facts show that YOU are the moron.

Wrong; Machida was a backup plan; he was never even supposed to get the title shot in the first place. For that matter, Shogun was a backup plan as well. Machida wasn't even guaranteed a title shot after starching Thiago Silva in one round when Silva was still undefeated; the original UFC plan was for Rampage to get the title shot after the Jardine fight, but he wouldn't be ready in time, which is why Machida got the chance.

Furthermore, Rampage was supposed to be Machida's first title defense, but then Rampage instead decided to coach TUF; that's why Shogun got the shot at Machida.

So it was basically a backup plan champion versus a backup plan challenger. The idea that the UFC had anything close to the investment they have now in Jones in Machida back in the day is simply absurd. If the UFC was pushing Machida, he would have got a title shot a lot faster than he did. And Dana would have said he won and not given Shogun a rematch. None of those things happened. Nice try though.

Back