So at the end of the day...where does Tony fit in the greatest lightweight ranks?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I think the TUF season that Tony was one was last one that I really followed on TV. I still remember Tony finishing Nijem, who I actually thought was a better fighter of the two. I guess I was so shocked that it's fairly fresh in my mind.

Tony's run at the highest level of MMA is likely over. He ran into really really tough fighters, former interim champ Gaehtje, current champ Oliveira, and possible title contender Dariush. However, I do not think he can come back from three defeats in a row and go on another run to the title. So really, the question is, where does Tony, after everything said and done, belong in the greatest lightweights of all time?

Mine is as follows. List yours.

1. Khabib
2. BJ
3. Gomi
4. Edgar
5. Poirier
6. Eddie
7. Tony
8. RDA
9. Pettis
10. Glibert/Bendo

So long Tony, thanks for the memories. Best luck in your future, whatever it may be if you decide to hang them up

War Tony
210101_original.gif

I think the TUF season that Tony was one was last one that I really followed on TV. I still remember Tony finishing Nijem, who I actually thought was a better fighter of the two. I guess I was so shocked that it's fairly fresh in my mind.

Tony's run at the highest level of MMA is likely over. He ran into really really tough fighters, former interim champ Gaehtje, current champ Oliveira, and possible title contender Dariush. However, I do not think he can come back from three defeats in a row and go on another run to the title. So really, the question is, where does Tony, after everything said and done, belong in the greatest lightweights of all time?

1. Khabib
2. BJ
3. Gomi
4. Edgar
5. Poirier
6. Eddie
7. Tony
8. RDA
9. Pettis
10. Glibert/Bendo

So long Tony, thanks for the memories. Best luck in your future, whatever it may be if you decide to hang them up
Benson>Gil

You got to put him in the top 10 or top 5 all time in my opinion. A winning streak like that in the toughest division and the skills he put on display in his prime is to be respected.

I'm very afraid he's going to go the bj Penn route of things and we will start to see him take horrific losses he had no business ever losing.

top 5

he was not clever in times against gaethje.

he wasn't properly prepared not even mentally.

after that it was all downhill.

when u take that kind of damage its nearly over especially at this stage of age.

Top 10. Tony is just done. He can't take the damage anymore. The way he fought he probably caused himself a few good years. Fun to watch but fighting like that has its price.

1. Khabib
2. Penn
3. Edgar
4. Alvarez
5. RDA
6. Poirier
7. Pettis
8. Gomi
9. Benson
10. Ferguson

1. Khabib
2. Penn
3. Edgar
4. Poirier
5. Alvarez
6. Gomi
7. Oliveira
8. Ferguson
9. Gaethje
10. RDA

These list are always hard. He's still active as well. But if I were to imagine it was like 5-10 years down the road and we're having this conversation. I think about him like a Pedro Rizzo 2.0 title contender. Like pretty popular and fan favorite. People might forget about him a little bit down the road because he didn't get as much shine for a belt. It's hard to say.
Tony should take a break and reevaluate the situation and let his body heal. Taking that much damage and doing so many weight cuts and mostly training as much as he does is giving diminishing returns. There's been some old war horse's that have taken some time off and listened to thier body and had some success. He just won't be able to train as much and fight as much as he has.

1. Khabib
2. BJ
3. Gomi
4. Edgar
5. Poirier
6. Eddie
7. Tony
8. RDA
9. Pettis
10. Glibert/Bendo

lol pathetic bandwagon jumper

tjumpoffbandwagon.gif

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...in-before-its-too-late-tony-time-lfg.4176089/

Back