So aikido hummm???

aikido sweep? seriously?

it's called judo. or wrestling. and it works.

i didn't see any froofy wrist-grabs or any ridiculous screaming on the part of uke. doesn't look like aikido to me...

Aikido is a cross between gypsie folk circle dancing and a hand holding contest.

Please, ffs, aikidon't.

You people really don't seem to know what you're talking about.

I was hoping someone would eventually say: "How do you use hand grabbing aikido moves in MMA when THEY ARE WEARING GLOVES!?".

Do you guys even know how to do a proper wrist lock? It involves compressing the knuckles and to do that you have to jab your fingers in between the index finger and middle finger's knuckles for best results. The gloves cover the knuckles which eliminates the use of aikido completely.

I know a girl who's a black belt in this system: YouTube - 10 Commandments of Self Defense
She trained under this guy's friend who teaches at Premiere in Westchester.

She has put me in surprisingly effective wrist locks and from there she can go for finger locks where she can very easily break my fingers (as seen in the beginning of that video link). Otherwise she can also transition into other wrist locks rather easily. It's a swift flow of one wrist lock to another. I'm a really strong guy and she's just a girl but it doesn't take much at all to break the smallest limb on your body when you got the knowledge to pull off proper technique. I can't imagine if an athletic guy did this shit on me. I was impressed enough with my out of shape female friend doing it.

Aikido when taught as self defense is incredibly effective.
Of course you can use it on the street, that's what it's designed for according to Vee Arnis Jitsu.

Seriously watch that video.

I was hoping someone would eventually say: "How do you use hand grabbing aikido moves in MMA when THEY ARE WEARING GLOVES!?".

Do you guys even know how to do a proper wrist lock? It involves compressing the knuckles and to do that you have to jab your fingers in between the index finger and middle finger's knuckles for best results. The gloves cover the knuckles which eliminates the use of aikido completely.

I know a girl who's a black belt in this system: YouTube - 10 Commandments of Self Defense

She has put me in surprisingly effective wrist locks and from there she can go for finger locks where she can very easily break my fingers (as seen in the beginning of that video link). Otherwise she can also transition into other wrist locks rather easily. It's a swift flow of one wrist lock to another. I'm a really strong guy and she's just a girl but it doesn't take much at all to break the smallest limb on your body when you got the knowledge to pull off proper technique. I can't imagine if an athletic guy did this shit on me. I was impressed enough with my out of shape female friend doing it.

Of course you can use it on the street, that's what it's designed for according to Vee Arnis Jitsu.

LMFAO... ok, all I can say.

Jason Delucia has trained in Aikido and has 3 fights in the UFC, all bare knuckle and over 30 fights in Pancrase, also bare knuckle. Why no wrist locks then? Not even one, he never even got close.

What about all the Brazilian Hapkido guys who were competing in IVC and WVC? Not one standing wrist lock. Or how about all the dozens and dozens of other bare knuckle competitions where we have more of the same; no standing wrist locks even being tried.

Motherfucking kick asssssssss

Throwin' them hoes like roly polies.

i2owo8.gif

Last edited:
I've always been of the opinion that Aikido is to judo what tai chi is to kung fu. We all get older and eventually we need something less stressful but something that maintains a good range of motion and good discipline. Aikido is a great low impact exercise regime that has the benefit of giving people a sense of confidence about themselves. But it is definitely not for those who are looking to enter grappling tournaments or MMA.

I've always been of the opinion that Aikido is to judo what tai chi is to kung fu. We all get older and eventually we need something less stressful but something that maintains a good range of motion and good discipline. Aikido is a great low impact exercise regime that has the benefit of giving people a sense of confidence about themselves. But it is definitely not for those who are looking to enter grappling tournaments or MMA.

But I think part of the problem is how aikido is marketed. When you go to tai chi, you know you're doing a low impact exercise based off martial arts. Which is fine and dandy, but with aikido you're looking at a martial art that is marketed as being a reliable form of self defense but turns out to be, with no disrespect to Morihei Ueshiba, ineffective.

Every time that statement is made, the 5% of Tai Chi guys that work hard, go to full contact tournaments (yes, they exist, yes, they are very cool) and spar hard cry tears of frustration. That art has been so hijacked by Yang-style old people / hippies in silk pajamas that it makes the whole art into a joke.

Every time that statement is made, the 5% of Tai Chi guys that work hard, go to full contact tournaments (yes, they exist, yes, they are very cool) and spar hard cry tears of frustration. That art has been so hijacked by Yang-style old people / hippies in silk pajamas that it makes the whole art into a joke.

It's been hijacked by old people because Tai Chi has been shown to have psychological and rheumatological/musculoskeletal benefits.

Here's a couple examples out of 630 hits on pubmed, first one is a very recent meta-analysis review:

Wang C, Bannuru R, Ramel J, Kupelnick B, Scott T, Schmid CH. "Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis." BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010 May 21;10:23.

Uhlig T, Fongen C, Steen E, Christie A,

What? Me no break arm with this martial art? Me Angry with people that do it. Raaawrrr.

I don't dispute that, although I think I would dispute that Tai Chi specifically has any physical and psychological benefits over long walks in the park or a dance class for Grandma and Grandpa. Physical activity + quiet & contemplative state of mind = a lot better health than sitting around yelling at C-Span and complaining about "kids these days".

Tai Chi is and was a real combat art, that like so, so much of Asian martial arts, was completely hijacked by people who really didn't feel like working very hard and are scared to get a bruise.

Much of Sanda / San Shou throwing techniques are taken from Tai Chi.

I'm still looking for the full-contact tournament vids... they aren't exactly plentiful but they do show that there's more to it than dancing in the park.

What? Me no break arm with this martial art? Me Angry with people that do it. Raaawrrr.

I have 0 problem with meditation and physical activity. None whatsoever. But seeing as a "Martial" art should have at least something to do with combat I do have a problem when it loses the plot completely. If you simply called it "Chinese Zen Dancing" or "Cardio Kung Fu" then I would give it the big thumbs up.

i get my black belt in hapkido this fall. it'd have been about two years sooner, but i took a year off and barely made practice this year. i've been a TA for the university class for the last 4 years, and i'm directly under an 8th degree Korean Grandmaster.

wrist locks work great if uke stands still, doesn't punch, and doesn't resist.

would i bother with locking someone's wrist in a 'real fight'? no. hell no.

it takes YEARS to get any semblance of proficiency in Hapkido where you'd have any efficacy in a self-defense situation, much less using wrist locks.

as far as the difference between that and Aikido, apart from fancy pants and ethnicity, there ain't.

so, to summarize, i know exactly what i'm talking about, and no, it wouldn't work in MMA.

you know what the most useful thing you learn in Hapkido is? balance and breakfalling. i've walked away from two motorcycle wrecks, so we'll call that expert fucking opinion.

i get my black belt in hapkido this fall. it'd have been about two years sooner, but i took a year off and barely made practice this year. i've been a TA for the university class for the last 4 years, and i'm directly under an 8th degree Korean Grandmaster.

wrist locks work great if uke stands still, doesn't punch, and doesn't resist.

would i bother fucking around with locking someone's wrist in a 'real fight'? no.

it takes YEARS to get any semblance of proficiency in Hapkido to have any efficacy in a self-defense situation, much less using wrist locks.

as far as the difference between that and aikido, apart from fancy pants and ethnicity, there ain't.

so, to summarize, i know exactly what i'm talking about, and no, it wouldn't work in MMA.

you know what the most useful thing you learn in Hapkido is? balance and breakfalling. i've walked away from two motorcycle wrecks, so we'll call that expert fucking opinion.
I've actually heard of Judoka saying the same thing about breakfalls in motorcycle/biking accidents they've had as well. Some people hate breakfalls, but they literally can save your life.

i've been doing Judo for 5 years too. one of our 5th dans hit a pickup that pulled out in front of him while he was going about 70. it snapped the axle of the truck and bent the forks parallel with the tank.

he did a rolling fall into a cornfield, ended up with a subluxed hip, broken hand, and concussion.

i did this
3k33m53lb5W25U25S1a7s95311c50ebc51a6f.jpg

3kb3mb3od5Y25P45X0a7s8228095591df1f48.jpg

rear-ending a truck at 35. that dent in the tank is from my balls. they turned purple, but were good to go the next morning :)

that was the only injury too...that and my pride...

granted, i had my helmet on, but i did a rolling fall into the tailgate. i landed on my feet. there's no doubt in my mind both decisions saved my life.

breakfalls FTW.

I've actually heard of Judoka saying the same thing about breakfalls in motorcycle/biking accidents they've had as well. Some people hate breakfalls, but they literally can save your life.

i've been doing Judo for 5 years too. one of our 5th dans hit a pickup that pulled out in front of him while he was going about 70. it snapped the axle of the truck and bent the forks parallel with the tank.

he did a rolling fall into a cornfield, ended up with a subluxed hip, broken hand, and concussion.

i did this

rear-ending a truck at 35. that dent in the tank is from my balls. they turned purple, but were good to go the next morning :)

granted, i had my helmet on, but i did a rolling fall into the tailgate. i landed on my feet. there's no doubt in my mind both decisions saved my life.

breakfalls FTW.

That's why I practise my breakfalls even at home. Because they save your ass even outside of class

i did this

breakfalls FTW.

effin sick. seriously breakfalls FTMFW

Back