So aikido hummm???

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Steven Seagal was on Anderson's corner, even walked him to the cage and Anderson did salute him or something before going to the cage... I was, holy crap AS is really going to try some aikido sht on sonnen, if he can do it, well, may be I was wrong all along and some gifted ppl can actually use some of those fancy techniques in a MMA fight, turns out, I wasnt wrong.... AS won by good old bjj, and Aikido is useless in MMA....

Steven Seagal to Anderson Silva: "do not call me coach, call me sensei".

Steven Seagal to Anderson Silva: "do not call me coach, call me sensei".

yeah, I was like, what a snoob prick this seagal is... He probably really thinks all the stuff he does on the movies could actually work in real life...

Apparently, Steven Seagal stayed with Anderson from the arrival and in the changing room as well.

Do you think Steven is doing some research for a new movie?

Or is he just interested into becoming an entourage of Anderson?

yeah, I was like, what a snoob prick this seagal is... He probably really thinks all the stuff he does on the movies could actually work in real life...

not only movies.

Steven claimed that he was the first foreigner to open a aikido dojo in Japan and he was been challenged by the local masters. Can you imagine a fight between aikido masters?

he also claimed to work for the CIA!

Apparently, Steven Seagal stayed with Anderson from the arrival and in the changing room as well.

Do you think Steven is doing some research for a new movie?

Or is he just interested into becoming an entourage of Anderson?

I think it might be a marketing move from Steven, since the arise of MMA, probably more and more ppl stopped buying the aikido myth and his movies are waaay too unpopular right now, so he needs a new marketing strategy, so associating himself with AS might give some sort of credibility again... specially if AS is able to pull some aikido move out in a fight....

not only movies.

Steven claimed that he was the first foreigner to open a aikido dojo in Japan and he was been challenged by the local masters. Can you imagine a fight between aikido masters?

he also claimed to work for the CIA!

LMFAO... didnt know that...

by the way, what was he being challenged to? a dance contest??? other than that, I really dont see 2 aikido masters going at...

Last edited:
Steven is not just an actor he's a legit Aikido master, those of you who bash Aikido don't fully understand what Aikido is, and Anderson is not an Aikido practitioner.

Steven is not just an actor he's a legit Aikido master, those of you who bash Aikido don't fully understand what Aikido is, and Anderson is not an Aikido practitioner.

I have no doubt he is a legit aikido master, just as I have no doubt none of that stuff (wich A LOT IS LEGAL IN MMA) can be apply in a MMA fight (or real for the matter)... or may be you are suggesting that some 185 aikido master would've done much better against sonnen than AS, are you?

I want to see Anderson taking some well deserved time off and shoot a movie with Steven Seagal.

Steven could be the old cop guy going to rescue someone daughter in Brasil and Anderson could be his local cop brasilian side kick.

I thought some of Steven's bad mojo had rubbed off on Anderson, since it was one of his worst displays in years. I was waiting for Chael to flying heel hook him!

Steven Seagal is not a renowned Aikido guy. He is pretty controversial in the Aikido community for all of his BS.

He does have some legit training and is reasonably skilled in the art, but he is not widely considered to be one of the greatest living masters of Aikido or anything. He is known for making up a lot of stuff, and he likes to act as if he is better at Aikido than he really is.

I am not bashing Aikido, but Steven Seagal is one of the worst examples of a martial artist there is. He is arrogant, known to be a complete prick to almost everyone he meets, and he can't really fight that well either. That's why most people in Aikido don't even like him; the art is supposed to be about humility and peace not being a complete asshat to everyone you meet.

Why so much aikido hate in the grappling forum?

just b/c Seagal is not a grappler, does not mean his skills are not valid. Im a BJJ BB and I would love the chance to meet and talk with the man

Steven segal is a huge jackass. My judo instructor told me a story about segal getting tooled on a movie set by a judo guy after talking shit to everyone there about how he could kick their ass and asking someone to try. Judo guy walked up and threw segal like nothing and then left the set. Really funny ill type it out when I'm not poting from a cell phone

My father met Seagal in the late nineties and had a good experience with him. He does seem a bit arrogant at times, but not in his interactions with my father. He was very eccentric, had a geisha servant etc. I believe the story you are referencing is with Judo Gene LaBell who supposedly choked out Seagal on a movie set, and one version of the story involves him defecating in his pants while unconscious. I think he may have trained some with John Machado on set as well, but this is just a rumor I read somewhere, and was not from him or his students. <disclaimer: I got my blue belt under John>. Good luck finding a celebrity who is humble, it is rare. Also, I have trained a little bit in Aikido and appreciate the customs/culture/ideology they are trying to teach, but find it's lack of true randori/sparring, and performing techniques under resistance troubling. That being said, some of it can be useful and effective, but you won't see it utilized much in a sport combative environment because it is contradictory to their teachings which are to protect the attacker. There are two videos that should be of interest for those curious about aikido and it's use with brazilian jiu jitsu, one is by Roy Dean, the other by Marcio Feitosa/Gracie Barra. I haven't seen Marcio's video but Roy's is well done.

Steven segal is a huge jackass. My judo instructor told me a story about segal getting tooled on a movie set by a judo guy after talking shit to everyone there about how he could kick their ass and asking someone to try. Judo guy walked up and threw segal like nothing and then left the set. Really funny ill type it out when I'm not poting from a cell phone
Gene LeBell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back