So a close friend of the family wants to train with me, i need some advice.

well guys thanks for all the advice, it looks like i will be starting the kid on some SS

after looking at a few programs, here's what i plan to make him do:

Workout A

* Squats: 3 x 5
* Bench Press: 3 x 5
* Deadlift: 1 x 5
* Dips (weighted): 2 x 5-8

Workout B

* Squats: 3 x 5
* Press: 3 x 5
* Power Clean: 3 x 5
* Chin-ups: 3 x 8

* Monday: Workout A
* Wednesday: Workout B
* Friday: Workout A

The following week, the schedule will look like this:

* Monday: Workout B
* Wednesday: Workout A
* Friday: Workout B

In Starting Strength, I think Power Clean is 5 x 3 (5 sets of 3 repetitions). Rippletoe says that it is such a technical lift, beginners (like me) lose technique as soon as they get fatigued. So he likes more short sets.

Also, at least according to the SS Wiki, beginners pullups and chinups should be three sets to failure, and then move to adding weight if you can get to 15.

Yes, agreed. However, Starting Strength is not a bodybuilding program and doesn't claim to be one. It's not called Starting Bodybuilding, is it?

Again -- I'm just saying that if TS's experience and knowledge is in the realm of strength lifting, and he plans on training the kid in strength lifting, he should tell the kid "we'll be doing strength lifting."

He can tell the kid that strength lifting can provide a foundation for future bodybuilding endeavors, but it is not bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding does not mean all isolation or all high reps. Many bodybuilders start with a Starting Strength or 5x5 type program. The beginning stages of a bodybuilder or powerlifter will often look the same. They both need to build a base of strength AND muscle. This is what Starting Strength does. Bodybuilders at different levels of training will train differently. There is no "one type" of bodybuilding program.

Point is the kid will get just as big, though almost definitely bigger, doing Starting Strength as opposed to what is traditionally thought of as a bodybuilding program(high reps, lots of isolation).

In Starting Strength, I think Power Clean is 5 x 3 (5 sets of 3 repetitions). Rippletoe says that it is such a technical lift, beginners (like me) lose technique as soon as they get fatigued. So he likes more short sets.

Also, at least according to the SS Wiki, beginners pullups and chinups should be three sets to failure, and then move to adding weight if you can get to 15.

Yes, Rippletoe(lol) says 5x3 for the power clean.

Make him do the first month of P90x

then lift with you. It will keep him from getting hurt.

Ok wait...
1 Are you saying he should train to prepare himself to start training?

2 What makes you think that jumping into 1hr/day 6d/week of high-rep BW exercises is safer than doing 3 sessions weekly with a barbell and a little weight?

3 Why do you think 1 month of P90X is more conductive to strenght gains in the weight-room than 1 month spent in the weight room?

4 Do you think a 45lbs barbell weighs more than say a 45lbs suitcase or 45lbs of groceries? Because people carry that type of stuff around all the time without having to prepare for a month before hand.

I`d probably have more questions but I`ll stop here.

Also, TS, I suggest you do the traditional Japanese way. Have him slave about, doing your laundry, loading the bar, holding your towell, cleaning the gym etc. while you show him a few odd things here and there. Then after 5 years finally tell him you have nothing more to teach him, get rid of him and get a new "apprentice".

Joking aside, the answer is simple, Starting Strenght.

Yes, agreed. However, Starting Strength is not a bodybuilding program and doesn't claim to be one. It's not called Starting Bodybuilding, is it?

Again -- I'm just saying that if TS's experience and knowledge is in the realm of strength lifting, and he plans on training the kid in strength lifting, he should tell the kid "we'll be doing strength lifting."

He can tell the kid that strength lifting can provide a foundation for future bodybuilding endeavors, but it is not bodybuilding.

Here's what The Man himself has to say on the subject: "Even a Bodybuilder is a Novice strength trainer until he's an Intermediate. And the fastest way to pack on muscular bodyweight - the supposed goal of Bodybuilding - is Linear Progression with multi-joint Barbell exercises. And this progression works best with sets of 5."

Here's what The Man himself has to say on the subject: "Even a Bodybuilder is a Novice strength trainer until he's an Intermediate. And the fastest way to pack on muscular bodyweight - the supposed goal of Bodybuilding - is Linear Progression with multi-joint Barbell exercises. And this progression works best with sets of 5."

So far, I'm too stupid to abandon the idea that if someone knows how to lift for strength, and they intend to pass this knowledge on to a trainee, said person should tell the trainee "I'm gonna teach you how to do strength lifting, which is what I know how to do."

So please, keep these re-education posts coming. Maybe I can still be saved.

So far, I'm too stupid to abandon the idea that if someone knows how to lift for strength, and they intend to pass this knowledge on to a trainee, said person should tell the trainee "I'm gonna teach you how to do strength lifting, which is what I know how to do."

So please, keep these re-education posts coming. Maybe I can still be saved.

Resistance is useless! You will be assimilated!:icon_twis:icon_twis

Same thing that happens to your excrement when you flush.

It went down the shitter, as it were.

I agree old man and origin...I agree. Too many questions on mass, athestics and bodybuilding now. Looking stronger than you are is more important than being stronger than you look to some of the new people in this forum. TBH at this point I say fuck the mma angle, I don't care anymore I think we need to reiterate that this forum is for 1. getting stronger 2. getting better conditioning 3. gaining muscular endurance. anything worthwhile I missed?

Anybody else want to sign a petition to separate the two boards again? Uprising anyone?

Seriously if he really wants to get bigger and stronger, put him on SS. Start him slow with low weight to get technique down, and let him go for it.

If he wants to get bigger, feed him more fucking food. Things like milk and eggs will add in a lot of calories. He doesn't need protein powder and creatine when he's only 130 lbs., he needs a buffet. And glutamine is shit.

He's a soccer player so he's to weak to work his upper body? Are you shitting me? It's not like he's throwing 200 lbs. on the bar from the start. The whole point of strength training is to get stronger. His body will adapt to what is asked of it.

Get up hand strength before dead lifting? Shoot yourself. Seriously. I want to kick your mother in the **** for giving birth to you.

Rant off.

To op, make sure the kid uses good tech. If you question your own knowledge, post up vids of you and him lifting to get critique.

Take it slow with him and make sure he's serious before you put in the time and effort. Good luck bringing someone else into the iron game.

Agreed on all points.

The best method to put on muscle mass is back/bicepts, legs/shoulders, chest/tris, rest - then do it all over again. once you do that for a year or so, with lots of protein, creatine, glutimine etc. then you can go to work with crossfit etc. You need a good base to go from there.

ahjeez.jpg

My freakin' hell...

Back