So a close friend of the family wants to train with me, i need some advice.

MMA since 1993

Reaction score
I workout pretty heavy on most exercises, so i got some mass going for me. I could get cut but i like that feeling of being the big guy.

so the kid's 18, just graduated HS, and we have hung out a couple of times when i go see my family, his family and him always go to our cookouts and stuff so i like the kid he's cool, kinda quiet but cool. Anyway he says that he wants to train with me, and i ask if he's serious to which he says yes.

The kid is about 5'7 and 130 lbs and he says he wants to get big. so i said ok just come over and i'll help you out.

i figure i'll make him do mainly Squats, Bent over rows, Deadlift, bench press and military press for mass

i have never trained anybody besides myself so i'm goin in this thing hoping what worked for me will work for him

what do you guys think? Ideas?

shake-weight.jpg

Just have him do Starting Strength and eat a lot. It is possible that he would need to start with something more remedial, mainly bodyweight stuff, but odds are he will be fine starting with a barbell.

The best method to put on muscle mass is back/bicepts, legs/shoulders, chest/tris, rest - then do it all over again. once you do that for a year or so, with lots of protein, creatine, glutimine etc. then you can go to work with crossfit etc. You need a good base to go from there.

The best method to put on muscle mass is back/bicepts, legs/shoulders, chest/tris, rest - then do it all over again. once you do that for a year or so, with lots of protein, creatine, glutimine etc. then you can go to work with crossfit etc. You need a good base to go from there.
images

should i tell him to buy creatine?? i mean you should see the kid he's really thin since he used to be a soccer player.
He really doesn't need it. Not that I think it would hurt, but he would be better off buying steak and taters and whole milk. And possibly some whey.

not deadlifts. That is an advanced & technical lift. His arms really may not be able to hold the bar weight of anything effective. Get some hand strength first.

Of course creatine, why not? If you are unsure, just start with some basic Protein shakes and lots of good food such as hearty breakfast consisting of oatmeal, eggs and cottage cheese. Then eat healthy throughout the day.

Listen, everyone needs a mentor. I had lots - you have now become one.

Last edited:
images

He really doesn't need it. Not that I think it would hurt, but he would be better off buying steak and taters and whole milk. And possibly some whey.

All this picture and quote made me think...there is so many sherdog trolls out there, really very few people have any good ideas out there and we still rely on good old fashion know-how. I wish all the trolls from sherdog would just leave (especially the S & C area). It really has some good topics, but you have to roll through all the troll posts.

not deadlifts. That is an advanced & technical lift. His arms really may not be able to hold the bar weight of anything effective. Get some hand strength first.

Of course creatine, why not? If you are unsure, just start with some basic Protein shakes and lots of good food such as hearty breakfast consisting of oatmeal, eggs and cottage cheese. Then eat health throughout the day.

Listen, everyone needs a mentor. I had lots - you have now become one.

I can't decide if you are a troll or just don't know what you are talking about. Either way you need to stop giving out advice.

you didn't really come to good place to ask for advice bro, BUT since you asked I'll give it a shot by saying that you should consider the following:

* Do you want your "world's colliding" and make your family friend relationship akward?

* I think you should get your friend introduced to training with people you know and make it a gradual process before training directly with you.....

Just a thought......

uh start him with what the other newbies do.. starting strength or stronglifts 5x5... easy.
If he wants to gain weight, try to get him on the GOMAD diet. Google that stuff!

As already said, Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Depending on how much experience you have, you could further tailor his routine to suit him, although given that you don't seem to have spotted pureelements as a troll/idiot, maybe not.

A few notes:

(1) With a beginner lifter the most important thing is to ingrain proper technique. So if the his technique starts off good, but breaks down as the weight/reps increase ... back off the reps or weight.
(2) When teaching technique, certain variations of lifts may help someone learn a particular element of that lift. For example Box squats to teach depth and sitting back, or reverse grip bench to teach the feeling of tucking the elbows.
(3) If the weight used is especially light while teaching technique, you may incorporate less technical exercises...so if squats are done with just the bar, some sled drags and back extensions could be done to get some actual heavy (for him) work in. Once technique on the main lifts is decent, then it could be just Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
(4) Smack him if he doesn't stand up straight.

All this picture and quote made me think...there is so many sherdog trolls out there, really very few people have any good ideas out there and we still rely on good old fashion know-how. I wish all the trolls from sherdog would just leave (especially the S & C area). It really has some good topics, but you have to roll through all the troll posts.

Pot, meet kettle. You are either a troll, or unqualified to dole out advice, saying: 1) newbs shouldn't pull and 2) "The best method to put on muscle mass is back/bicepts, legs/shoulders, chest/tris."

Now go away and let the adults talk.

Wait, so you are serious? Please go read the FAQ before giving anyone else advice.

I'd also like to cast my vote for Starting Strength for your family friend. Personally, when friends ask me for workout advice, I tell them to do the SS but substitute pull-ups for power cleans.

Also: Mods, please ban pureelements.

Tell him to read up on starting strength and let him do his own thing, guide him if he's doing it wrong.

A deadlift involves bending down and picking something up. It's something we do every day in real life, and is probably the least technical of the power lifts. It's certainly not "advanced" for an 18 year old.

It's extraordinarily unlikely that as a beginner his grip will be the limiting factor. But if it was, wouldn't doing deadlifts to build grip strength be the right thing to do?

i have never trained anybody besides myself so i'm goin in this thing hoping what worked for me will work for him

what do you guys think? Ideas?

I think you are going to run into a number of challenges. In no particular order:

1. He's going to want to ramp up the weight faster than he should, because he'll be lifting with someone who is moving a lot more weight than he is. Help him to resist this. Avoid becoming the spotter who is helping to lift the weight rather than making the lift safe.
2. He will probably have different recovery periods than you do. When I'm lifting at my 5 RM, I sometimes need a full 5 minutes of recovery between sets. It's unlikely that your trainee will need anything close to that much recovery. That could mean that he'll finish some exercises long before you.
3. The first couple weeks will be the hardest. If he's never trained before, the DOMS that he gets from his first squatting sessions could be severe. He might quit right away.
4. You can control his lifting, but not his eating. Make sure that you emphasize the need for him to do his part in the kitchen.

Ignore pureelements.

My friend started training with me and my brother 6 months ago. He started with a squat of 60kg x5, bench 40kg x5 and 80kg x5. He just competed in a powerlifting competition in the 82.5kg class and squatted 160kg, benched 85kg annd pulled 185kg. We had a him running a modified SS which we stretched to 4 days as to incorprate extra core and upper back work. However the core program remained.

I highly recommend:

GOMAD (full fat milk) + SS Practical Programming for Novices.

Back