Sneak Punch

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by SummerStriker, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

What do you guys think of two man drills like this?

2. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

These sorts of drills strike me as instructional for the purpose of learning the motions, but I don't know that there is any value in going through the motions like a robot, over and over. With no sense of danger, it is just a dead pattern, like what so many people hate about TMAs.

In the second technique, he throws a jab, slips a jab, then throw a body hook and cross, he is functionally doing what I was talking about in my uppercut - cross thread. Throwing that first hit while shifting forward, then being stuck on the cross. How does it look to you guys?

3. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

If they just kept it to a drilling of one or two movements, like the first parry and roll, I'd actually be for it. More than that and it just becomes convoluted and ineffective imo.

4. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

For the record, I'd love this sort of training for boxing because it reminds me of kali. I really enjoyed these sorts of drills.

5. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

It's great, trains your mind to recognize punches and position, automatically instill defense, lets you know how much you really need to move your head.

We used to play sparring games where one guy would stalk another guy, throw a particular punch (or maybe throw other punches to confuse) and illicit a premeditated 2 or 3 move combination. So partner A would activate the motion from all angles, and partner B would utilize the reaction and try to control when partner A could and could not engage him. We'd play just tapping the guard or target. Pretty cool stuff.

6. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

I love these types of drills. It trains you to perceive the attacks and have faith in your defence.

7. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Love stuff like that.

8. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

I was hoping this was a thread about our favorite sneak punches... (I have several)

9. cjwhitt51

cjwhitt51 Yellow Belt

Yeah I like stuff like this as long as you keep the combo/counters short. The long sequences are okay for getting used to the motions but sometimes they get too unrealistic.

A good way to drill stuff like this is to do two or three different combos and drill them separately at first. Once your comfortable do a couple rounds where a partner throws the 3 different combinations randomly and you react with the counters. If you have a good partner who throws at a steady pace but without telegraphing its an awesome way of getting you used to seeing different punches and reacting instinctively.