Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Epicness

Rent-paying tenant cat
@Black
Reaction score
What are some examples where a fighter was clearly winning the majority of a fight and wound up getting finished either due to some critical mistake or some amazing comeback from the other fighter?

I'll start us off:
2v3n574.jpg

Both Sonnen vs Silva fights

Well... Anderson vs. Chael 1 is a good example

Barry chasing Weeble Kongo around the cage only to get finished with a jelly-legs one-punch KO

Both Sonnen vs Silva fights

agree with chael/silva 1 but as soon as silva stuffed his TD in the 2nd fight he was fucked

but the spinning backfist attempt was stupid nonetheless lol

Yep. You win.
This was an amazing fight.
The beauty of it is manyfold.

The fight could have been legitimately stopped several times.

Barry did what any fighter would and should do when they've hurt an opponent, chase the finish. Kongo seemed one punch from being done.

But Kongo somehow gathered a shot from deep inside him, the only part of him that wasn't rocked, and landed it flush, even as off balance as he was.
He literally had to straighten up at the last second as Barry was coming in for the kill and to my reflection may have landed the punch standing on the sides of his feet.

Sell vs Smith? You could argue it was a snatched low percentage shot that won it for Smith, but on the flip, Sell should've probably won that and was potentially in a good position to do so.

Hardy vs Lytle was a great fight. I cant remember if Hardy was winning but I do remember him shooting into a guillotine late into a fight.

Chael vs Filho 1 is one of the best examples of this Id ever seen. Frank Mir even said something like "if Chael ends up getting submitted here Im gonna go in the cage and scream at him...." He was dominating Paulo but hung out in the guard of Filho for way too long.

Back