Smolov and BJJ?

Caecus

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a bad idea to do smolov while doing BJJ?
I have about 16 weeks where all I am going to have to do is Jiu Jitsu and lift weights (no job), and I wanted to try a full 13 week smolov cycle.
I usually do fine on higher volume work
I train(BJJ) 6-7 times a week. I can vary the intensity if I need to.
I am 26, squat 365, (I think I will use a max of 350 for the program) and weigh 185.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

are you doing it for bench and squat?

infeasible if not impossible

Do something like Madcow or Texas Method with assistance work, that is hard enough to make the most of your summer.

Everyone I've heard of doing Smolov generally said that they walked funny after each session.

I don't think this is a good idea.

Smolov is ridiculously tough for people who are only lifters and have dedicated all their recovery to it. Choose a different program. 531 may work better for your situation.

I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a bad idea to do smolov while doing BJJ?
I have about 16 weeks where all I am going to have to do is Jiu Jitsu and lift weights (no job), and I wanted to try a full 13 week smolov cycle.
I usually do fine on higher volume work
I train(BJJ) 6-7 times a week. I can vary the intensity if I need to.
I am 26, squat 365, (I think I will use a max of 350 for the program) and weigh 185.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I tried doing Smolov while wrestling in the off season. I did the first two beginner weeks and couldn't continue after that. My advice would be two squatting days. One day for heavy 3x5 linear progression and the other with lighter pause squats.

I've been doing that for a while now and have had good success.

Horrible idea. The high volume can be too much for people who only squat and sleep.

Smolov is a bitch. I'd look at Juggernaut, 5/3/1 with joker sets, or Texas method. The 10s and 8s waves of juggernaut in particular let me build up a shitload of volume without walking weird.

I'm going to recommend 3-5 Method, Kortes 3x3, Justa Singles Training or just a straightforward Power to the People 2x5 cycle if you're squatting and training BJJ at the same time. These will get you jacked as fuck and leave you fresh to train BJJ. Training like a powerlifter will cut into your BJJ goals.

Thanks for all the good responses. I definitely wanted some more volume than 5/3/1 but I will forgo Smolov and do one of the other routines suggested, thanks.

Back