Smoking and BJJ (Yes This)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by GotDaWork, Oct 18, 2010.

1. GotDaWork

GotDaWork White Belt

I've been smoking for about 4 years now,I've managed to keep it at 5-7 cigs a day,will this effect my cardio enough to effect my BJJ?

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

3. GotDaWork

GotDaWork White Belt

I figure,why the hell shouldnt I quit,I've been doing small stuff like not smoking the days I train, and its just dumb,why do I have to be so weak that I smoke...I've never tried quitting but..I'll quit after tonight

4. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Most likely yes, imo. I smoked about a pack a day when I started bjj and got used to training if I could keep up 5 days a week of training. If I took a few days off, it was absolutely horrible my first day back. I quit about a year and a half into training and the difference was huge.

5. lanp3960

lanp3960 White Belt

Just start chewing instead. That seems to be popular with some guys I train with. And look on the bright side, after a few years your choke defenses will improve, you won't be able to tuck your chin anymore...

6. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

You should really think about quitting. At the very least, don't smoke before class. No one likes rolling with the smelly smoker...

7. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

did it effect you when you first quit?

i've seen it effect runners negatively at first and i wonder if it's the same in BJJ

also i would regardless... dying of cancer sucks i wouldn't wish that on anyone... why increase the chances for yourself?

8. Latecomer

Latecomer Blue Belt

Don't forget the added benefit of premature toothlessness. No more tapping to those who apply chokes across the face!

More seriously, look at it this way: There is no way it's going to help your BJJ cardio. There are so many health risks related to smoking, quitting altogether is a sensible choice.

9. Prominence

Prominence White Belt

You're probably trolling but I was smoking that much for a couple of months and when I started BJJ, my cardio was horrible.I would gas within one beginners class.I quit and it has been significantly better.Still not great but i'm working on it.

10. IronTyson

IronTyson White Belt

How is he trolling? He's asking a legitimate question.

11. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I felt more energetic and was able to breathe more fully in the first week. The benefits were pretty immediate for me. Best thing I've ever done

12. MMAfan9000

MMAfan9000 Orange Belt

I read you could reverse it by doing more work like lots of cardio, I knew this kid that was a wrestler and smoked like a pack or so a day and he was a work house. Could run like 4 miles was in really good shape. But youre better off not smoking bro.

13. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

when i get a cold BJJ is hard...can't imagine smoking

14. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

I highly recommend e-ciggs for anyone whose not ready to quit yet, or wants to spread out the quitting process over a longer period of time.

You get the nicotine and the psychological fix of putting something up to your mouth and inhaling, without the dangers of smoking.

The only problem is the initial price. I think some places have one-time-use ones that will last you a day or so. They're maybe $10-20, but you could try it out and see what you think. Good luck.

15. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

I miss Newports like a m&*$*$&$&$*#r, but BJJ really did save my life making me quit.

16. dabong

dabong White Belt

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.

-Mark Twain

17. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

right on all the way. except the price. that's way off. a legit ecig kit (510 is the best model, or ego) is between 75-100. anyway they saved me that's for sure. I'm vaping away right now.

cigarette smoking fucking kills you. never mind your cardio, but yeah, it's that is also complete shit when you smoke.

hollar at me via pm if you need more info. I gots the hook up.

18. Smoking is bad for ur lungs, lungs = good cardio. That is all

19. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

I'm talking about the throw away ones so he can try it out. Spending up to $100 on a full 510 kit, just to find out it's not your thing would be a kick in the balls.

Edit: I just checked and Volcano sells disposables for $13 as a "tester".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  20. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I agree.

It takes a serious commitment to make the transition work though, I just find it easier to prepare up front for the full on transition. You save so much money from not buying real smokes it pays itself back really fast.