Smith stuffed many TDs from Jones ... fight was boring as hell, but that was impressive.

iwillbebackin3weeks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Smith is still young (for a LHW).

Give him a few more years and hes a top LHW.

anthony-smith-ufc-fight-night-125-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

Needs some of those Erick Silva youthful genes!

Jon GOAT GOAT Jones finishes most of his opponents. No shame losing to the GOAT GOAT.

In b4 "Jones was clean, that's why he didn't finish Smith".

I don't think Jones really committed fully to those take downs.
Just a means to grind down on Smith's K.O. power and look busy.
Bones took DC down if he really wanted to take Smith down he would have.

Based on that Anthony Smith fight, Thiago Santos is going to murder Jon. Jon's cinderella story going to come to a KO end. If Jon was smart he fail another drug test so his legacy only ends on losing to USADA and not in the octagon.

Cool-THIAGO-SANTOS-Highlights.gif

Then right around the corner in LHW we got another solid contender!

UncomfortableFoolhardyEthiopianwolf-size_restricted.gif

Smith was doing some weird shit in there like he wanted to play with matchbox cars on the mat instead
jon-jones-vs-anthony-smith-ufc-235-1578010.jpg

I don't think Jones really committed fully to those take downs.
Just a means to grind down on Smith's K.O. power and look busy.
Bones took DC down if he really wanted to take Smith down he would have.
sometimes i feel like he might fight down to his opponents level, just enough to beat them, he didn't look great against OSP either

Pretty much everything Jones did was to shut down Smith's offense and his rhythm.

Not all TD attempts have the same goal.

I also remember Jones using the momentum of one of the defended shots to land a big knee after Smith bounced off the cage.

Gus is really the only guy to shut down Jones' fully committed TDs and that was with footwork, distance management, and avoiding extended clinch excganges.

Ofc. that was pretty much solved in the rematch too.

I was so disappointed with that fight. I expected Smith to at least try to win. Not just survive. If he’s pleased with his performance. And he’s said he is, then that’s all that really matters. But I was watching, and I realized Smith had no intentions of doing or dying. So I just ...

cd7.gif

Pretty much everything Jones did was to shut down Smith's offense and his rhythm.

Not all TD attempts have the same goal.

I also remember Jones using the momentum of one of the defended shots to land a big knee after Smith bounced off the cage.

Gus is really the only guy to shut down Jones' fully committed TDs and that was with footwork, distance management, and avoiding extended clinch excganges.

Ofc. that was pretty much solved in the rematch too.

Jones literally fought one of the worst versions of Gus.

Gus should leave MMA forever.

However: With all the PEDs + pride rules + bigger than Smith ... he still couldnt finish Smith.

Dude even made Smith look like Roy Jones jr
5Q9K2K.gif

Smith is still young (for a LHW).

Give him a few more years and hes a top LHW.

anthony-smith-ufc-fight-night-125-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg
I can't help but feel Jones didn't try at all in that fight. That said, if Smith genuinely stuffed those TDs then he has a bright future at LHW ahead of him.

sometimes i feel like he might fight down to his opponents level, just enough to beat them, he didn't look great against OSP either

yeah, and when he fights down to his opponents, that's a weakness. because if ever one of those guys shows up and punches above their weight, he could get hit with something he can't recover from.

if Jones ever moved to HW, guys like Derrick Lewis actually thrive on situations like that.

Back