Smith machine ?

vincent80

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have someone who is giving me a smith machine

Edit: nvm I found my answer

New question: Are they effective? or should Injust wait and get a squat rack?

I have someone who is giving me a smith machine. This may sound ridiculous but what exercises are they used for? Can I do squats? I've been looking for a squat rack and if I get this smith machine I won't have room for a squat rack.

Edit: nvm I found my answer

New question: Are they effective? or should Injust wait and get a squat rack?

Get a squat rack.

Shirley, you can't be serious?

They'll do for the meanwhile. Then I'd trade it for a power rack.

I'll be Frank.

He doesn't need it.

And don't call me Shirley.

^^^ Shirley

Take it. Sell it. Buy a real rack.

So...

power rack>squat rack>smith machine

Ideally I'd want a power rack?

powercleaning the bar and doing front squats is much more effective than a smith machine. take the smith machine, sell it, and buy a squat rack.

Pretty much the opposite of what you said. :icon_lol:

have you ever tried squating in a smith machine? i found it really awkward and it kinda hurt me. Lots of people have had great gains doing no backsquats and lots of front squats.

Take it. Sell it. Buy a real rack.

This. Post it on Craigslist. In your post mention how safe it is, and how it won't lead to back injuries like dangerous free squatting. Tell them that to get fit, they should invest in their safety.

While you're waiting to sell it, you can use it for chins and to hang up your dry cleaning, though.

Better than nothing. When it is free it is the best, still you can do a bunch of exercises there. With adjustable bench all larger muscle groups can be worked.
Squat, bench, press, deadlift, rows and all variations of this exercises.

can you take the barbell out of the rest of the smith machine and then sell the smith machine to a scrap metal place?

These machines regardless of what machine you choose to use, you can substitute another free weight exercise for it these machines put an unnatural path of motion for your muscles to follow. There is little to no stabilization needed to do the exercises thus creating a weaker routine in the long run when you decide to upgrade to more dynamic free weight routines.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagination is my trainer and guide.

Back