Small things you feel make a difference?

Haven

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys could pass on some advice on some of the minor things you do that you feel go along way? For instance maybe napping before class, watching/reading instructional stuff, keeping a journal of what you went over for the day, energy bar before class etc.. I want to make the most of my training and i am looking for some things you guys have found to be the most helpful in your time of training.

1. Keeping a journal and actually reviewing the journal to inform my training.

2. Filming competitions and reviewing them with training partners and instructors.

3. Always ask questions after every roll, to the extent you can. Make every tap a learning experience.

i agree, ask questions "was that a choke or just pain", "was i heavy" etc.
never eat shawarmas before training. u need like 12 hours between shawarma and bjj. ask around, it's a fact.

The biggest overall concept thats helped me recently is focusing on small movements.
A bunch of little bridges and hip-outs are hard to defend and don't waste much energy, as opposed to winding up for one gigantic move thats easy to see coming and takes a lot out of you.
You can apply this from any position.

Eating an "energy bar" or chocolate or a banana or anything else that's easily digestible and refills your sugar supplies a little.... right after training. Something the body can fuel itself on until I get some real food.

Helps me tons in recuperating. Maybe it's all in my head, but it feels like I'll have more energy the next day.

Sleeping enough is extremely helpful. U go into training tired and itll show

In order...
  • Good Rest
  • Energy Bar before class (hour + in advance) ... BM if needed
  • I sometimes watch videos or read up before class, but will (at most) focus on 2 techniques outside of my schools curriculum
  • Warm up properly (dynamic stretching of whole body if possible) ---- this will prevent injuries like you wouldn't believe and that will be at the top of the list of things you don't want to "feel"
  • Drilling after class
  • STRETCHING
  • Protein Shake within 45 minutes of finishing training

taking a shit before any physical activity.

People often ignore this. You gotta doo doo before grappling. I'm not saying you might go Tim Sylvia on the class, but you'll feel just heavier, uncomfortable, and with a whole other kind of gassing.

Set goals and plan your training sessions. Works wonders in improving ones skills and getting through plateaus.

There's much to be said for your conditioning. I suggest starting your day with 30-60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise. This goes a long way as I'm sure you've noticed many of your training partners getting gased after only 3-4 rolls. If you don't fatigue easily, you will get more rolls in. More rolling means more learning. Also, don't lose sight of the things you learn as a white and a blue belt. I see people as they get get comfortable with the art start to get sloppy on thier technique. I've been to several gyms and witnessed white belts having better technique than those above them. This is because they are focused on doing things correctly and creating that muscle memory that is oh so necessary in any sport, not just BJJ. BJJ is an art dominated by technique and execution.

Steady controlled breathing. At all times, during warmups, stretching and even during a competitive roll.

If you train twice a week (hypothetical) stay away from carbs for a couple of days and then eat carbs during the days (no less than two hours before class) so that your body holds onto all of that energy and then makes your conditioning better.

Keeping a consistent journal and regularly reviewing it.

Slowing down when learning techniques. The armbar for example. People try to learn it so fast they miss all the little details that there instructors give them to keep it tight. They take a 5 step move and do it in 2 steps. Take your time. Slow down and get it right. It will help you later on when you do speed up but you've taken the time to learn the muscle memory and now have a tight attack/escape/whatever.

Also I always see people holding there breath. People plain forget to breath regularly a calmly while rolling. I don't care how fit you are, you're going to gas if you don't breath.

I always film my practice sessions so I can review what I did wrong and what I did right. This has helped me tremendously
Also, just focusing on one move in one position at a time.

Developing the ability to record your matches in your head also helps a lot with trouble shooting your game. (the post above about video taping your sessions is a cool idea too).

if you develop the ability to remember most if not all of what happened in your matches during the day, you can go back later and trouble shoot where your techniques worked, failed, and almost worked and what people did to stop them.

Consider adding yoga. Good for core strength, flexibility and breathing.

Write things down (I am terrible at this and always mean to do it. I have forgotten more techniques than I actually know.)

Roll more.

I prefer to eat about 2-3 hours before class with nothing right before.

Consider adding yoga. Good for core strength, flexibility and breathing.

Write things down (I am terrible at this and always mean to do it. I have forgotten more techniques than I actually know.)

Roll more.

I prefer to eat about 2-3 hours before class with nothing right before.

Back