Small joint manipulation

Race Freelie

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
during the no holds barred era, was this technique ever used successfully in a bout? Is the police maneuver of wrist bending to control a drunk considered small joint manipulation, or are the unified rules just referring to no finger and thumb dislocations?

Last edited:
Diaz brothers have mastered large joint manipulation.

Very hard to pull off, impractical.
0krb0w29uwi11.jpg

Depends on the size of dudes package but i remember Goodridge getting a win by crushing some dudes dick in Brasil

during the no holds barred era, was this technique ever used successfully in a bout? Is the police maneuver of wrist bending to control a drunk considered small joint manipulation, or are the unified rules just referring to no finger and thumb dislocations?
Wrist locks are legal but not very effective.

Didn't Frank Mir submit Tank Abbott with a toe hold?

A toe hold is really a leg lock. It’s not small joint manipulation.

ah the weekly small joint manipulation thread

I was right.
"Frank Mir submitted another legend in the form of Tank Abbott at UFC 41 with a Toe Hold (and is currently the only person to have ever submitted anyone utilising this submission in the UFC) in an event now firmly entrenched in MMA history. In this video the former UFC Heavyweight Champion, holder of multiple UFC records and all round legend of the sport shows exactly the details that ensured his toe hold was formidable enough to submit Abbott in this manner at UFC 41. This must watch video filmed for the Warrior Collective is powered by Tankò and Phone Booth Fighting."

Stand still while I grab your finger...STAND STILL...STOP PUNCHING ME IN THE FACE!

Yeah, I guess so. Mir was just using the toes as grip really. But I thought it was because of Mir's submission that they made small joint manipulation illegal?

I do not think small join manipulation was ever legal, toe holds are different...but the gracies in early UFC's made sure it was not allowed as its a damn good defense to submissions etc.

I was right.
"Frank Mir submitted another legend in the form of Tank Abbott at UFC 41 with a Toe Hold (and is currently the only person to have ever submitted anyone utilising this submission in the UFC) in an event now firmly entrenched in MMA history. In this video the former UFC Heavyweight Champion, holder of multiple UFC records and all round legend of the sport shows exactly the details that ensured his toe hold was formidable enough to submit Abbott in this manner at UFC 41. This must watch video filmed for the Warrior Collective is powered by Tankò and Phone Booth Fighting."

A toe hold is named that way cause you hold your opponents foot by grabbing around his toes with your hand while doing a figure 4 with your arms, but you don't really put pressure on the toes, but rather on the knee

Small joint manipulation refers to fingers basically. I think you are allowed to use wrist locks, but is mightly difficult with the gloves and sweat. Breaking someone's finger while they are going for a guillotine or something like that is a cheap way to try and escape, might as well allow eyepokes or groin strikes. And it would put guys on the sidelines frequently, so it's completely rational for small joint manipulation not to be allowed

Leg lock? That's for amateurs. I prefer actual toe manipulation:

hqdefault.jpg

Most people didn't even know what Brazilian Jujitsu was in the no holds barred era let alone small joint manipulation. People were still figuring out the rules, what worked and what didn't. A lot of these early competitions were filled with tough guys like Kimo and Tank along with talented fighters such as Kerr, Shamrock and of course the Graices. For the Gracie family this was designed as a marketing tool for their brand and style and how often do they incorporate small joint manipulation.

Back