Small guy vs big guy problems, newbie here

had0uken

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Now I'm a 6 foot guy, at about 170-175 with very strong legs, but a really weak upper body form. I'm a striker, and my ground game is terrible. I just recently started Jiu jitsu, and I try to work with the moves that work, and only the ones that affiliate to my physique. My buddy and I roll on a daily, and he is a strong motherf**er lol. I want to say he's at about 200 lbs, 6 "3 with an equal body size for both legs and upper body. His lower legs are a lot stronger and bigger than mine, so I always have to flip him over to usually pass his guard and from there it turns into a scramble.

I was looking at the basics that BJ Penn was talking about, and I like how he passes the guard while applying pressure on a person shoulder. I think I am going to try that, because pinning down the leg doesn't seem to work at all on this guy. He is really strong when shrimping out to the side, and then again from there it turns into a scramble.

I'm trying to incorporate basics to see what works best on bigger guys. My question is ? Sorry for the variety amount

On the bottom:
How do I use speed when I'm on the ground, and what are some of the more dominant positions for smaller guys to be in when ontop ?
Usually when I'm on the bottom, I try to use butterfly guard as much as possible, and weave my opponents frame left and right to look for a suitable sweep by using momentum ?

Side Control:
Should I scramble more than anything when on the top position to try and confuse him about my moves ?
I heard when in side control you always want to have the far shoulder of your opponent underhooked ? Especially on a bigger guy so you can bring his posture down without him
having to turn into you ?
When I scramble from let's say side control while he turns into me when his far shoulder has no underhook, and he's beginning to recover back into half guard/guard ? Do I push his bridging hip back down to the ground, and pin it there while I wait for his next move ?

Rear Naked Chokes:
I'm having a hard time setting up Rear naked chokes, do I have to use a lot of fake submissions, and then go for it ?

For example ... Set up an anaconda choke, and then take the arm that grabs the bicep one, and bring it back around his other shoulder, canceling out the submission, then quickly spin around his back and attack turtle mount ?

Last edited:
Not to be a jerk, but is english a secondary language for you? Your post is a pretty tough read, as is.

Not to be a jerk, but is english a secondary language for you? Your post is a pretty tough read, as is.

Yeah, English is a secondary language. If you don't want to help me out, then don't. I know that my posts are really hard to read. I didn't grow up here.

Last edited:
LOL at a 6ft guy claiming to be small.:icon_lol:

GTFOH.

I'm 5'7 and 140lbs.

I'm a skinny light guy - 5'11 and 145 pounds and against bigger guys I like to use butterfly guard to set up 1 leg X guard entries.

From the top I prefer to stay active and use my opponents escape attempts to take the back. Knee on belly is a good transitional position. Whenever I can get my opponent to turtle I will look to put him in the crucifix.

If I can secure the head and arm from top half guard then I will use heavy pressure.

Everyone is different though and you just have to keep training and figure out what works best for you.

Last edited:
I think you will find great success in either side mount and back mount... rear naked choke and straight armbar will also be the best finisher for this foe... to stabilize the side control underhook the far shoulder and with ur other arm under his head then clasp ur hands... to further solidify position bring ur hip side knee up to his hip blocking his hip in place and ur head side leg out stretched on it toes to amplify your weight

Also in side keep sternum to sternum to add stability

I was going to try and help, but I cannot make sense of anything you wrote.

LOL at a 6ft guy claiming to be small.:icon_lol:

GTFOH.

I'm 5'7 and 140lbs.

I mean.. cool story bro.

Truth here is. Personally, I hate my body frame. It's really weird. Most of my weight comes from my legs. You probably have a much better heavier, and stronger upper body than me. Then again, I could be wrong beause we've never met.

I'm a skinny light guy - 5'11 and 145 pounds and against bigger guys I like to use butterfly guard to set up 1 leg X guard entries.

From the top I prefer to stay active and use my opponents escape attempts to take the back. Knee on belly is a good transitional position. Whenever I can get my opponent to turtle I will look to put him in the crucifix.

If I can secure the head and arm from top half guard then I will use heavy pressure.

Everyone is different though and you just have to keep training and figure out what works best for you.

Okay. I'll try these out, and see if it works. I'll do a little bit more research on them to see what works best.
I hate to be wasting my time hunting for moves that don't really apply to my game. It's like walking blindly into a wall.

I think you will find great success in either side mount and back mount... rear naked choke and straight armbar will also be the best finisher for this foe... to stabilize the side control underhook the far shoulder and with ur other arm under his head then clasp ur hands... to further solidify position bring ur hip side knee up to his hip blocking his hip in place and ur head side leg out stretched on it toes to amplify your weight

Genius! I'm definitely going to give this a shot, and work from right here.

If that is small, wtf am I?

Idk,i've never met you. Lol.

I was going to try and help, but I cannot make sense of anything you wrote.

It's cool man.

Do you train at a BJJ gym with an Instructor?

I don't. Not yet.

Is there a BJJ gym close to where you live, if not can you make it to one at least once a week and then practice what you've learned until your next class?

If not it is still possible to learn but you are going to need guidance through an affiliation.

Is there a BJJ gym close to where you live, if not can you make it to one at least once a week and then practice what you've learned until your next class?

If not it is still possible to learn but you are going to need guidance through an affiliation.

There is one close by, but I want to go to the Gracie Barra one. It's about 10-15 miles away. I am going to sign up for that one.

Well, let's talk about passing the guard.
His strength shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Guard passing is interesting. It seems so simple and basic when you are training with someone less experienced. But it seems complicated and impossible when training with a more experienced player.

If you have pinned his legs down, when he shrimps, you can try a quick hop to his back side.

Shrimping and preventing shrimping shouldn't be thought of as being strength related.

Well, let's talk about passing the guard.
His strength shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Guard passing is interesting. It seems so simple and basic when you are training with someone less experienced. But it seems complicated and impossible when training with a more experienced player.

If you have pinned his legs down, when he shrimps, you can try a quick hop to his back side.

Shrimping and preventing shrimping shouldn't be thought of as being strength related.

Okay noob question but,

Are you referring to the one where I'm pinning his legs down, applying pressure on his shoulders, and then walking to the side while maintaining my sternum close to his body ?

Or when I am pinning down his leg with my forearm, and then using my shin to control that leg ?

I'm no Rickson, but I bolded my advice.

On the bottom:
How do I use speed when I'm on the ground, and what are some of the more dominant positions for smaller guys to be in when ontop ?

Speed and strength definitely matter, but if you're TRAINING, they shouldn't; technique should though. Any top position is considered dominant, it's just a matter of if you can own it. Example: I'm 5'8" 160lbs and I've held down people with 80lbs+ on me. It's about all transferring your weight via making them carry it.

Side Control:
Should I scramble more than anything when on the top position to try and confuse him about my moves ?

No.

I heard when in side control you always want to have the far shoulder of your opponent underhooked ?

Yes, that is correct. Having underhooks while under sidecontrol can also lead to many escapes and some sweeps.

When I scramble from let's say side control while he turns into me when his far shoulder has no underhook, and he's beginning to recover back into half guard/guard ? Do I push his bridging hip back down to the ground, and pin it there while I wait for his next move ?

Too specific, make a video and show us.

Rear Naked Chokes:
I'm having a hard time setting up Rear naked chokes, do I have to use a lot of fake submissions, and then go for it ?

It depends on the person and the position. Everyone has different tactics.
I like to use the RNC to setup an armbar myself. :icon_lol:

Honestly, just worry about training and bettering your technique.
The rest will come in time.

Back