Small guy vs Big Fat guy

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Goretek614, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Goretek614

Goretek614 White Belt

So I've been sparring against people much bigger than me at my gym and I'm having a problem when going against bigger ( fatter ) training partners. I'm 5'7" about 155 and I find it nearly impossible to power mount and mantain a solid base against fat training partners. Most the times when I start climbing my knees to his arm pits im not able to mantain balance due to their stomach and frequently get swept. what would be your guys recommendation against this dilemma?

( I have about 3 months experience and people I go up against range from 5'10-6'0" )

2. Jackson 2012

Jackson 2012 Orange Belt

Go for side control instead. I have a similar problem (5'7 and 140lbs) where most of the people I roll with outweigh me by 50lbs +. There's one guy who's easily over 300lbs and it's simply a waste of time to try and hold him in position.

3. Unr8dBJJ

Unr8dBJJ Yellow Belt

Hey Man while I can't relate to being the most undersized guy at my gym, I'm 5"11 180lbs, I do roll with a kid who is 5"6 140lbs and he never goes into mount, he utilizes side control and transitions to Modified Mount all the time, always threatening with arm bars. and if he takes your back, it's almost impossible to get him off.

I asked him why he never mounts, says he just gets bucked off, but if he's in Modified mount (S-mount, Knee on Belly, Side control) he's always able to hook an arm without being worry about some guy bucking him off.

Learn how to take their backs from Half-guard, side control, and then their size doesn't matter as much. Even though I'm still very new, I use a half-guard kimura attack to sweep to the back quite a bit and it's a technique I've become very good at.

Best of luck man.

4. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Yep what others said. I'm the biggest guy at my club and even if someone takes mount, they can't get a good base so will get swept off without even any technique required on my part.

5. Newcastle

Newcastle Brown Belt

Like a few pointed out. Work on side mount and knee on belly. You can wreak havoc on big, slower opponents with great knee on belly mobility.

6. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

When sparring smaller guys the only thing that I find difficult to deal with is a good spider guard.

Im 6' 260lbs btw.

7. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

As a big 6'6" 300lbs blue belt, I can say the position that gives me the most problems is knee on belly or side controls (as the rest of them have said). I've been told I move like a small guy regardless of my size and anyone with a good side control/KoB gives me a fair bit of problems when they pass. Mounts doesn't really work well when your knee don't touch the ground.

8. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

How are small guys holding side control on you guys?

9. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

Along with their hand/hip being in the way, long legs + larger stomach = more space required = easier to hold side control. Becoming less of a factor more I work on it (harpoon sweep ftw).

10. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

Yes, Harpoon sweep or... bellydown re-guard.

11. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

Easier said than done.

12. TSO

TSO Cookie monster belt

Isn't everything :p

13. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

Coming from a small guy (5'7, 135'), when I want to hold side on bigger guys, I stay really low on their hips. If I've passed to the left, I block the far hip with my right arm and keep my crotch against the near side hip and my right leg under my opponent's butt.

I'll go N/S to KOB then back to my original position depending on what I'm trying to do. I don't like using a traditional side control on big dudes. Doesn't really work for me.

14. gururise

gururise White Belt

spider guard.

15. Patrick F Carey

Patrick F Carey Green Belt

I would advise you to work on your high mount transition more

16. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

Side control is really hard to deal with for a big guy because the best workable solution is muscle-jitsu. Most of the shrimping and weaving is easy to counter because the smaller man can give up less space when you try it.

17. Goretek614

Goretek614 White Belt

hey thanks for all the insight guys,

I'm going to start focusing more on the side mount/transition and see what I can work from there. I have a lot of researching to do.

18. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Black Belt

The fuck is power mount?

Anyway my go to for such a situation is knee on belly. Solid, strong, single point of contact for maximum pressure and enough distance to negate any form of size based escape, ie. just pushing you off.

The key is good mobility though.

19. Goretek614

Goretek614 White Belt

To be honest i don't know the difference in mounts, that's just what they call it at my gym. It seems like a regular mount to me, im not going to try to argue about names with my instructors or anything.

20. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

I'm one of the small guys in the gym (5' 6", 160 lbs) and I can keep my mount on 220+ lb guys pretty easy. Its about being tight. I squeeze my knees into them and thrust my hips downward onto their chest. then I gradually inch my way to high mount and go to work.