Sloppy Looking Sparring: Clashing of the Hands and Feet

MuayThaiDude

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
One thing I notice when I spar MT or boxing is just as the title suggests, sloppiness. Not necessarily in technique (foot work etc.), per se, but just punching slop. When I am shadowboxing or daydreaming I always imagine hitting the intended target beautifully. It's pure gold. When I spar, it often turns into a shit show. I've been at it for a few years now, but no matter what, light sparring or hard sparring, I throw a jab the other guy throws a jab, it's stuffed. Kick the other guy kicks. Stuffed. Awkwardness. It's a cacophony of smacking leather.

I was just sparring/boxing with a guy my size tonight and we were doing well staying in the pocket but nothing seems to land properly; it just gloves smacking gloves. His style is a bit unorthodox and his punches are all over the place, so that is likely a factor. It may also be because we sometimes go at different speeds. Or... I just suck, which is ok I can live with that ;)

My analogy is as follows: If you have ever been a catcher in baseball, did you ever get the feeling that it's hard to catch the ball knowing that the batter will likely hit it and you will inevitably catch air? If I am trying to throw a combo I find my gloves trying to hone in on his head when he moves it, because otherwise I will punch air. It's like I see that my next combo shot, be it a 2, 3 or what have you, will not land and it breaks my rhythm. I realize the combo is meant for the last strike to hit but when you throw successive punches should you be aiming where he is going even if it throws your technique and balance out of whack? Or should you just throw maintaining proper stance and technique?

I sometime spar with people who are scared to get hit so everything seems sloppy, they sort of negate everything I am doing.

When I spar with the advance guys at my gym I notice my shots will land more and I will get hit more.

I think rhythm is a huge factor, one of the guys I train with is very talented, yet when people slow the pace they do not perform as well, they need their opponent to work at speed so they can counter and land etc.

Could be that you are sparring people who are not committing to shots, or it could be you are not committing to shots.

Does your coach give you any feedback?

One thing I notice when I spar MT or boxing is just as the title suggests, sloppiness. Not necessarily in technique (foot work etc.), per se, but just punching slop. When I am shadowboxing or daydreaming I always imagine hitting the intended target beautifully. It's pure gold. When I spar, it often turns into a shit show. I've been at it for a few years now, but no matter what, light sparring or hard sparring, I throw a jab the other guy throws a jab, it's stuffed. Kick the other guy kicks. Stuffed. Awkwardness. It's a cacophony of smacking leather.

I was just sparring/boxing with a guy my size tonight and we were doing well staying in the pocket but nothing seems to land properly; it just gloves smacking gloves. His style is a bit unorthodox and his punches are all over the place, so that is likely a factor. It may also be because we sometimes go at different speeds. Or... I just suck, which is ok I can live with that ;)

My analogy is as follows: If you have ever been a catcher in baseball, did you ever get the feeling that it's hard to catch the ball knowing that the batter will likely hit it and you will inevitably catch air? If I am trying to throw a combo I find my gloves trying to hone in on his head when he moves it, because otherwise I will punch air. It's like I see that my next combo shot, be it a 2, 3 or what have you, will not land and it breaks my rhythm. I realize the combo is meant for the last strike to hit but when you throw successive punches should you be aiming where he is going even if it throws your technique and balance out of whack? Or should you just throw maintaining proper stance and technique?

You could try use it to your advantage. If things get sloppy you can clinch or work the inside.

Muay Thai is better suited for this, as you can use the sloppiness to take advantage of your opponent. For example if you clash into each other you can wrap your leg around his, to hold or trip him. Imitate a clinch and throw in knees. Muay Thai is better for this as you can use every part of your body to disrupt the flow.

I sometime spar with people who are scared to get hit so everything seems sloppy, they sort of negate everything I am doing.

When I spar with the advance guys at my gym I notice my shots will land more and I will get hit more.

I think rhythm is a huge factor, one of the guys I train with is very talented, yet when people slow the pace they do not perform as well, they need their opponent to work at speed so they can counter and land etc.

Could be that you are sparring people who are not committing to shots, or it could be you are not committing to shots.

Very good question about the coach. I went to two MT schools over the past 3 years. But I am transitioning to another school soon for various reasons. My buddy and I just do some MT pad work and sparring on our own (just boxing usually), which is good and bad. It allows me to take time to really work out some things, but it's kind of like playing tennis with somebody who can't consistently hit the ball back over the net. The good thing is he is slightly taller and stronger than I am. I think you really hit the nail on the head with rhythm and not committing to shots.

as a guy who potshots alot...moves around alot, guys can have a hard time hitting me...or consistently into a rhythm to apply pressure..get in range to throw combinations...or to effectively throw combinations.

Very hard to `get offense going when your opponent doesnt engage at all or engage the way that you want/need

Back