Slipping and moving

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering how your feet would move if you were to move forward while slipping. I am trying to work on closing the distance with my opponent by coming in slipping. Just wondering how my foot work should be and if you guys had any videos on it. Sorry for the noob question :(

What's the discipline..? boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing...

Hey guys I was just wondering how your feet would move if you were to move forward while slipping. I am trying to work on closing the distance with my opponent by coming in slipping. Just wondering how my foot work should be and if you guys had any videos on it. Sorry for the noob question :(

A lot of people have trouble knowing how to move forward and do anything. If you're slipping to the right then your right foot would move at a 45 degree angle and then if slipping to the lift, move your left foot.

The best way to learn is join a boxing gym. They teach footwork that is vital to MMA and Kickboxing.

You'd be stepping to the side that you're slipping on (i.e. if north was straight ahead, you'd step to the NE or NW--remembering that you move the right foot to move right and left foot to move left).

Yes...fundamental question....but not a big deal. Everyone starts somewhere. Look around on you tube under billiard jay's vids. You should be able to find some things on slipping...and by association stepping with the slip.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

merry christmas

Your feet should be moving forward if your going forward, slipping or not is negligible. Slipping a punch does not require a step out, you should be able to step straight forward and slip a shot at the same time. A slip comes from the waist/shoulders, it does not require a lateral step. Allot of boxing coaches teach slipping by using pivots. In short, step straight forward and pivot your lead foot just as you would if you were throwing a left hook..... slip the jab to the outside (assuming both orthodox). You can do the same by pivoting the rear foot outward (slip inside the jab or outside cross). Use the pivot and if necessary a slight bend at the waist or shoulder turn...... My opinion, this is a much more effective way to slip shots then stepping \ or / to do so. It keeps you moving straight forward and keeps you "in the pocket", it makes the transition to countering easier and quicker off either hand.

Remember, the goal when slipping a punch is to make your opponent miss, but that does not mean you need him to miss by a foot, that only makes the transition to countering slower and gives him more time to recover. Make him miss, but ideally, just make him barely miss or miss by a little bit...... much quicker transitioning to a counter.

Your feet should be moving forward if your going forward, slipping or not is negligible.

Yeah I agree, I think slips are independent of footwork.

Your feet should be moving forward if your going forward, slipping or not is negligible. Slipping a punch does not require a step out, you should be able to step straight forward and slip a shot at the same time. A slip comes from the waist/shoulders, it does not require a lateral step. Allot of boxing coaches teach slipping by using pivots. In short, step straight forward and pivot your lead foot just as you would if you were throwing a left hook..... slip the jab to the outside (assuming both orthodox). You can do the same by pivoting the rear foot outward (slip inside the jab or outside cross). Use the pivot and if necessary a slight bend at the waist or shoulder turn...... My opinion, this is a much more effective way to slip shots then stepping \ or / to do so. It keeps you moving straight forward and keeps you "in the pocket", it makes the transition to countering easier and quicker off either hand.

Remember, the goal when slipping a punch is to make your opponent miss, but that does not mean you need him to miss by a foot, that only makes the transition to countering slower and gives him more time to recover. Make him miss, but ideally, just make him barely miss or miss by a little bit...... much quicker transitioning to a counter.

Yeah, my coach makes me practice by pivoting from a right slip to a left slip and back again, over and over, without moving my feet. I mean, obviously you have to pivot on the ball of the foot, but the foot never moves forward or back. I felt ridiculous, like I was doing ballet or something, but it was actually a really helpful exercise.

how about you get a coach that will teach you?

Back