Slipknot

71Fish

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've known of them since they arrived on the scene in the late 90s but really only started listening to them last year. Just saw them in concert last week. Not a mosher myself but we did have pit tickets, just hung behind them mass of the circle. It was funny (maybe funny is the wrong word) seeing older guys in the mosh pit. I'm 45 myself, many were my age and older.

Anyway, since really listening to them just since last year, I've become a big fan. Anyone else?

I saw them a few weeks ago too, great show!. I have been a fan since they released the Self-titled album and appreciate they have grown and evolved with time. All Hope Is Gone and Iowa are my favorite albums by them

For a heavier band they have some great lighter songs too.

BTW whats the point of Stone Sour? Its the same band right? Is it just a marketing gimmick?

For a heavier band they have some great lighter songs too.

BTW whats the point of Stone Sour? Its the same band right? Is it just a marketing gimmick?

Stone Sour was Corey and Jim's pre Slipknot band that they decided to resurrect after Iowa, Jim got kicked out/left a couple of years back. They're more commercial/melodic than Slipknot.

Both times i've seen Slipknot i was really looking forward to them but they've been really disapointing. Iowa's my favourite album and i still give it a listen every few months or so.

Stone Sour was Corey and Jim's pre Slipknot band that they decided to resurrect after Iowa, Jim got kicked out/left a couple of years back. They're more commercial/melodic than Slipknot.

Both times i've seen Slipknot i was really looking forward to them but they've been really disapointing. Iowa's my favourite album and i still give it a listen every few months or so.
Yeah, they can be pretty hit and miss live. A lot of times their theatrics get in the way of their execution. And if you are playing 32nd notes all the time, and you aren't executing correctly, it just sounds like shit. Especially when you have nine different instruments playing.

I don't care much for their gimmick with the masks and jump suits and the extra band members who really aren't necessary. But a lot of their songs are really good. They have soul, which a lot of metal bands are desperately missing.

was a big fan of them when they broke out. the self titled is still amazing, and iowa was heavy as balls, after that they kinda fell off. unique for a metal band and for a bunch of fat ugly dudes from the midwest they became one of the biggest american metal bands of all time. not bad. the schtick got a little played out. and i am suprised that band has managed to still survive this long. corey taylor used to have one of the most brutal screams. then his voice changed cause he was blowing his voice out all the time.

I like this one.

Loved the first album and Iowa, after that I lost interest.

I love their third album. A lot of awesome tracks.

saw them last year with korn,great show all round.

Kind of a gateway band, as said above.

Mainstream enough to get kids involved, but I can't say I've been a fan since I was 14.

Moved on quickly to other stuff.

Saw them 2 years ago at a festival. Never been really into them and only know the obvious singles but thought it was a fun show. Proper high energy on stage throughout the whole set.

I didn't start listening to them until 2008 during the All Hope Is Gone era and I played Psychosocial in heavy rotation.

The Devil In I & The Negative One were the only tracks I liked from their 2014 record: .5: The Gray Chapter

And I really enjoyed their 2019 offering We Are Not Your Kind

Unsainted
Birth of the Cruel
Nero Forte
Critical Darling
A Liar's Funeral
Solway Firth

were all stand-out tunes for me and out of a 14 track record if I dig over 40% of the songs then I consider it a great album.

I've always like Slipknot. I actually started listening to the before they got big. A friend of mine got their demo tape at an Ozzfeast back in the late 90's. He used to always rock it in his Jeep and they kind of blew up shortly after. I like their older stuff better. They kind of fell off after Iowa imo. They're still good though.

They may very well be a gateway band into heavier stuff, but their music still holds up imo. They may not be as "technically heavy" as a lot of the bands in extreme metal but there is certain raw energy and emotion in Slipknot (especially their earlier stuff) that most metal bands simply do not have.

They may very well be a gateway band into heavier stuff, but their music still holds up imo. They may not be as "technically heavy" as a lot of the bands in extreme metal but there is certain raw energy and emotion in Slipknot (especially their earlier stuff) that most metal bands simply do not have.
Not having Paul and Joey involved in the writing has affected their sound in that it is mainly Jim Root doing most of it now and you can kinda tell it gets a bit samey at times. Last two records aren't bad just lacking some diversity just a bit.

Always thought they were kind of lame but Before I Forget and Wait and Bleed are alright

The second half of eyeless is the only thing of there's I've ever liked

Always been a fan, not one of my favourite bands though. I thought “We Are Not Your Kind” was decent, somewhat a comeback for them. Solway Firth might be the best thing they’ve ever done, imho

Back