Slip line?

Smashandgrab

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm sure this a retarded question to the vets but I'm curious what slip lines are usually made of? Can you buy one?

I'm training boxing at an mma gym and there are some aspects that I think are missing and I'd like to incorporate on my own after class. My head movement is bad(no existent) and I'd like to start doing some slip line drills.

Thanks in advance

We just use rope here.

However, using a rope for this can go VERY wrong. Wanting to move your head more is one thing, learning to do it properly is something else entirely.

We just use rope here.

However, using a rope for this can go VERY wrong. Wanting to move your head more is one thing, learning to do it properly is something else entirely.

Could you provide a link to a video illustrating good movement?

I like the gym I go to but they definitely skip some of the finer points. Most people just come to get some exercise and aren't really concerned with becoming more skilled boxers.

Rope, twine, thick string, chicken wire, electrical fence cable.

Thin string is tough because you can't make it very tight without it snapping. You don't want a ton of sag in the center to the point where you're ducking ridiculously low. I don't have a minimum measure of pound test, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

What?? Are there slip rope drills in this thread? If so, could you link to the proper page?

There aren't any specifically that I know of in there. That's just for head movement in general, which he stated he lacks.

I think he's linking to that exercise as a good way of learning head movement, which it is. The tile exercise is easier to do than a slip-line without supervision, and requires no special equipment or space. You can even do it without tiles if you just chalk the squares on the floor like I do.

Tile exercise is king, TS.

What?? Are there slip rope drills in this thread? If so, could you link to the proper page?

Find Lucas's video, he rolls correctly. You should actually be rolling a rope correctly, not so much slipping it.

This could be a good idea for you also.

Still doesnt beat partner drills imo.

Thanks for the input. I'll give the tile drill a go this week.

I wish my gym had a slip bag, looks fun.

Idk, I know you mean well but I honestly think it a tad rude to insinuate TS is not on to something good by substituting another drill. If he wants to use a slip rope, let him use a slip rope. It's been tested over centuries of boxing.
Nothing personal at all, I respect Luis' work, but this is not sherdog.luis.com/f11 as much as it's not sherdog.squatsandbodybuilding.com/f13

TS, tie any 3 or 4 pound object to a string and hang it from the ceiling for a slip bag.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that moving his head is a bad idea, it's that he even stated in the opening post that he's not really learning how. How is very important, moving the upper-body the wrong way can and often does lead to injury over the long term (i.e. people who use back and no hips because they do not know how to use the hips).

Thanks for the input. I'll give the tile drill a go this week.

I wish my gym had a slip bag, looks fun.

I made one out of a strip of carpet. I tied a knot in a rope, rolled the carpet up tight around the rope, taped the whole thing up with duct tape, and it works just fine. No need to buy one unless you just want it to look pretty. You could just as well make one out of a plastic bag and some gravel, rice, sand, whatever.

Edit: apizur, my impression was less that he wanted to use a slip line and more that he wanted to improve his head movement. The slip line is not the tool to begin learning head movement from. First you must learn the movements themselves. Just as if TS came in saying "I don't know how to move my feet, how can I make an agility ladder" I would probably suggest learning the steps themselves first.

whitmor%2020%20clothes%20line.jpg

Sausage links. Roll under, turn your head and take a bite to practice "rolling with the punches".

Good for one attempt.

Back