Slip inside the Eye of Rousey's Mind (in depth bio article)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Concrete Whale, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Concrete Whale

Concrete Whale Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...onda-rousey-preparing-return-ufc-amanda-nunes

[​IMG]

On this crisp November morning, Rousey wears a hoodie and Ugg boots for the short walk from the cabin to the detached garage her longtime trainer Edmond Tarverdyan has turned into a dojo. Six days a week, twice a day, Rousey makes this trip to train for her comeback fight against Amanda Nunes on Dec. 30.

/

"That loss saved me from becoming what I hate," she says. "One of those people who live their lives to impress everyone else. Who put up a front for the world to admire. Who make sure every charitable act is posted and shared for their own image gain. Who posture and pose for people they care nothing about except for the opinion they have of them."

/

[​IMG]

"I was just trying to make too many people happy," Rousey says. "But when I try and do favors and make everybody else happy, at the end of the day, they walk away happy and I'm the one who has to deal with the depression. All the pay-per-views in the world, all the money in the world, it means f---ing nothing to me because I lost."

/

Rousey still cries sometimes as she relives details from the fight. It's painful and embarrassing.

/

Tarverdyan comes over to start wrapping her hands. He's done this hundreds of times over the past few years. Each piece of tape and gauze has a message written on it, and after the workout, she'll crumple it into a ball. If they were back at her home gym in LA, she'd toss the ball over the wall of the Octagon cage. A little game to break up the monotony of training camp.

There are hundreds of balls of tape and hand wraps from over the years. Many say, "Retire Undefeated." During this training camp, she's writing a new slogan on her used wraps: "FTA." F--- Them All.

But her mom, a former judoka herself, keeps reminding her that her motivation has got to be more than "FTA."

"F -- everybody is not a good reason to fight," her mother, AnnMaria De Mars, told her. "I think that's stupid and bulls -- ."

/

[​IMG]

Rousey stays and does Pilates for a while before the sweat dries and she gets a chill. This is one of her rituals. After the loss to Holm, Pilates was the first exercise she had the heart for.

"Just me out in the garage, alone and crying, doing Pilates," she jokes. "Good times."

/

The truth is, she was embarrassed by the loss, ashamed of it. She knew what people were saying -- Miesha Tate calling her "a broken woman" and wondering "if she'll ever come back the same." Holly Holm's father, Roger Holm, said she was "scared to death." Cris "Cyborg" Justino started mercilessly calling her out on Twitter.

Rousey refuses to give oxygen to any of their taunts. But even after the voices died down and the world moved on, they became a manifestation of her own shame. The hate she hears and feels is really just her wounded pride echoing in her head.

/

Last month, he flew in Olympic boxer Mikaela Mayer for a week of sparring. Just boxing -- no judo or grappling or jiujitsu.

[​IMG]

///

Takeaways

training in a small garage in an isolated area
    still totally delusional
    lashing out at the world because people didn't fawn on her
    still mentally broken
    the Olymypic boxer only worked with her for 1 week

Verdict: it's not looking good

2. skullmaskkid

skullmaskkid Banned Banned

we oasis now?

RTL, billharford and Concrete Whale like this.
  3. FeloniousMonk

FeloniousMonk Red Belt

4. N8dogg

N8dogg Green Belt

I think Ronda beats Nunes at UFC 207 ... Question is does she step up to 145 to face Holm or Cyborg? I am more skeptical of those fights...

5. cabear

cabear Brown Belt

RR needs a quality training camp with a solid striking coach and planner. She does have the tools to beat almost any woman in the world, she just needs to actually pull her tools together when facing others who have down the same.

6. Fantasy

Fantasy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Lol. Imagine how good she would be with a good team and a real training camp.

7. billharford

billharford 181 Likes

Please don't put your life in the hands
    of Edmond Tarverdyan
    Who'll throw it all away

skullmaskkid and Concrete Whale like this.
  8. StoneWT

StoneWT Purple Belt

I like how she equates valid opinions or facts of how she dealt with the loss as taunts she needs to ignore.

Also, Ronda may not have been able to handle a real camp. Without people kissing her arse, she could have a meltdown and get thrown out or end up quitting.

9. Gil Thorp

Gil Thorp Orange Belt

Are you saying that training with Edmond in his garage isn't a real camp?

10. joshmaikar

joshmaikar Orange Belt

[​IMG] you can hate all you want, but at least Ronda has a character on Dragon Ball Z inspired on her.

11. les elroy

les elroy Purple Belt

Yeah it's nice thinking she's gonna lose so damn easily, but since wmma is such fucking shit, she could just as easily poop out another arm bar that the other losers weren't able to defend.

12. Concrete Whale

Concrete Whale Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Her narcissism would get her kicked out of a real team and training camp within hours.

13. jamiehunter

jamiehunter Brown Belt

This is the best part of the article hands down

The Todd and Concrete Whale like this.
  14. libertarian

libertarian Orange Belt

she made the biggest mistake of her career staying with that doucebag Edmund.

cabear and grihenrumet like this.
  15. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

Don't you know you might find...

... A better place to play.

16. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Don't you know u might find~ a better place to stay~

RTL likes this.
  17. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

U mutherfucker

18. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

Plagiarizing my shit ala Noel Gallagher.

Kneepocalypse likes this.
  19. grihenrumet

grihenrumet Green Belt

And thus Enlightened Motivated Ronda was born

20. Xenon_

Xenon_ Storytelling, women n the violence of the octagon

Haha i am so dumb. The title doesn't register but by the end of reading, I notice that 'Dont look back in anger' is playing in my head.

I swear, i would never have made the connection until i saw your post haha I'm retarded

That guitar, man:)