Slinky Boxer vs. Heavier Swarmer (ADVICE PLS)

MilitantWorker

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whaddup everyone...

- Heavier opponent, shorter reach
- I feel crowded/frustrated and don't like continuously jabbing just to keep him at distance, I'm looking to open up on him and land some fucking punches with meaning
- I'm not used to backing up/avoiding lunging overhands and haymakers..what are some things I could throw from southpaw backstepping while he throws power rights? I've been throwing right-left-right side step left while backstepping but I need more because he's started to read me with that
-Forgot to mention this is in Boxing class not Muay Thai, so I can't throw kicks (if I could I would teep his face)

thanks for the advice and tips

Last edited:
Well, I'm a pretty lousy striker, but I do know one thing... don't get frustrated. That's how you gas and that's how you get caught. You are in control of your own emotions. There's no reason to get frustrated. You're just doin' it for fun, after all. And if you're not, you're lying cuz if you weren't doin' it for fun, you wouldn't be there.

P.S. Southpaws are a lil' tricky. Just do everything backwards. Instead of a jab, throw a straight right.

If your jab is faster than his, and it is your favorite technique, why don't you use it to keep him off you?

Use kicks to attack low if he is swarming with punches.

Fake your rear hook, see the incoming overhand, counter with a left body kick.

Plus if he's bigger, shouldn't be the other way? Just a thought.

If your jab is faster than his, and it is your favorite technique, why don't you use it to keep him off you?

I am using it to keep him off me. What I'm saying is that's the only effective weapon I've had. Can't kick because this is Boxing class.

Really what I'm asking is a)what are somethings I can do to counter the strong rights he throws from orthodox while I'm backstepping in southpaw and b)how do I start opening him up because right now the rhythm of the fight is like: Me - Jab, move Me - Jab, move Him - lunge step,big right and so on. And then there's the Me - Jab and before I can move he rushes me and we just start banging. I'm hitting him but I don't like getting touched like that, period.

Oh, well if you just don't like getting hit when he's in too close, just tie him up. Then he'll get frustrated instead of you and you can capitalize on his mistakes.

hmmm....why do ppl reply without reading the question.....completely ?

Boxing NOT MT.

Whaddup everyone...

- Heavier opponent, shorter reach
- I feel crowded/frustrated and don't like continuously jabbing, I'm looking to open up on him and land some fucking punches with meaning
- I'm not used to backing up/avoiding lunging overhands and haymakers..what are some things I could throw from southpaw backstepping while he throws power rights? I've been throwing right-left-right side step left while backstepping but I need more because he's started to read me with that
-Forgot to mention this is in Boxing class not Muay Thai, so I can't throw kicks (if I could I would teep his face)

thanks for the advice and tips

hey u remember me right ?

listen man , if the guy is shorter it usually means he's stronger (its physics). Extra weight makes it doubly so.
You CANNOT try and stand and trade or 'fight' him. You HAVE to 'box' him.
U keep fighting him and a beatdown is more less a given. You only fight a guy (as a taller guy) when you've broken him down first.
You know all that shit u listed that you dont like doing ? That IS what you have to do.
you have to pump out that jab,doubles and triples but that doesnt mean you jab like an automaton. You have to use different types. Short ones,long,feints,fakes,highs ,lows. Shit, you're a southpaw. Its even easier for you. I can shutdown ppl with just my jab when i go southpaw.
you have to learn how to move around , not run or shuffle but move...glide around and hit. An example would be Crocop in K1 (i know its not KB but watch his principles...he had a long and solid Amateur Boxing record). See how he draws the guy in , then ducks/fades right WHILE punching.

Next u need to learn how to uppercut. Thats the tall mans best friend up close. As a southy u should be cramming that left in his liver when he lunges in close. Throw the right one when he runs foward. Learn how to throw it off your own punch.

heres all those principles at work YouTube - Tony Pep vs. J.T. Williams
Thats my coach in some title fight. Skip to 1:40.

That combo you do isnt the best thing to do man. Im surprised he hasnt beaten it out of you. Throwing a SP right as an OTX right is usually suicide unless u have the angle on him.
Next time throw a left/right/left. hooking or jabbing when YOU throw that right. Try ducking and throwing a straight left to the body when he throws his right haymaker and jab when he throws his left unless u got good timing, then throw your left when he throws his left.
you can also roll under his haymaker and throw your opposite hand to the head or body AS u roll under. Very effective and makes a surprisingly hard impact when done right as he goes INTO your punch while u defend at the same time. A very rythmic move !
Learn how to go to the right too. You dont just wanna keep going in the same direction.

This should do for about a bit.

I can't help you if you're not willing to jab, that's the absolute key to controlling a fight against someone with less reach. If you think that jabbing is for pussies or that a jab isn't a real punch, then maybe use more of a power jab (magical jabs thread sticky is a good guide for that).

For a shorter/ inside fighter, the entire key to their success is being able to crowd your plate and get off, if he can't get inside then he's basically ineffective. You should try to stick and move, hit him with your left & move, catch him coming in with a check hook & get out, pump the jab in his face, and if he's going to the body alot- uppercuts.

If you think jabbing is for pussies, then you're a fool. You're basically relinquishing your physical advantages and allowing him to work his game if you don't jab a shorter fighter.

"The Jab is your offence, the jab is your defence".
Why you would choose to not use the jab on a fighter with less reach is insane.
And if he walks through the jab - throw it harder and go from there.

can u be considered a slinky boxer if you don't actively and effectively use the jab

I'm a bit confused why everyone thinks I'm not jabbing??

Here's the problem as specific as I can tell:

I usually start fighting in southpaw stance, but I have this strange habit of ending up in orthodox when avoiding someone advancing in on me...It's not a bad thing, I feel comfortable in both stances, its just a stylistic thing.

So I'm in southpaw throwing jabs and lead hooks (some straights too, the left was landing in between his guard) but when I tag him he rushes me back to the ropes and usually he cuts me off from moving to my right (because I was landing with the rear uppercut to lead hooks), so I go to the left and end up in orthodox having to slip and get away from his punches....

So I'm moving/slipping/blocking in orthodox throwing my left jab and it lands well but when he crowds me in orthodox I have this tendency to not move and wanna bang with him...I dunno why it's just a heat of the moment thing but what happens is if I start eating more punches than I'm landing in the exchange I lose my cool and shell up and start eating shots...

NuTzOnSwOll thanks man those comments were helpful...I need to start working on my rear uppercut from orthodox I'm realizing now its not so good..

NuTzOnSwOll thanks man those comments were helpful...I need to start working on my rear uppercut from orthodox I'm realizing now its not so good..

oooh i forgot...learn how to clinch and dirty box too. Not the MT clinch but the boxing style one. Tie him up.

Its like Musashi (the samurai not the kickboxer) taught. 5 rings.

5th and outer most ring .......just outside your range. Neither can attack.

4th ring closer ......Keep him at the end of your jab/straight right.

3rd ring....long hooks , check hooks

2nd ring .....very close. .....uppercuts,body/head.

1st ring.....this is your personal space. Do not let anyone in but if they do breach then dont let him out......clinch tight.

use your feet n footwork to keep him at different rings.

Of course he was talking about swordplay but the concept's the same.

I need to start working on my rear uppercut from orthodox I'm realizing now its not so good..

no no no .....the rear uppercut from Southpaw. Otherwise in Orthodox u wanna use your lead uppercut. Watch the video again.

A rear uc from OTDX is only good if youre really short and in close otherwise you're gonna get cracked with a straight right.
Ends in a spectacular fail.

:icon_lol:

hmmm....why do ppl reply without reading the question.....completely ?

Boxing NOT MT.

Hmmm...why do you try to clown me with out comparing the date of my original post with the date of his edit?

Watch Ali-Frazier 3. When Frazier was too close, Ali tied him up. You gottz' be willing to take some body shots, but it's better than being KO'd.

From your most recent post it sounds like you have to find a way to prevent him from rushing in on you.

Move and circle while keeping him out with straight shots.

If you are circling left you should slip left and circle out.

thanks for all the help everyone...i feel much better now that I have a bit of an arsenal for this guy

class is tomorrow evening I'll let you all know how it goes

NuTzOnSwOll-- Tony Pep is your trainer?!? thats pretty sweet yo...always heard he was a better trainer than boxer but he was a pretty damn good boxer so I guess that makes you lucky as shit. I just watched that vid, those were some sick uppercuts. jeebus I liked the way he was setting those up. will try this tomorrow...thanks bruh!

Back