Slightly out of place rib = asthma symptoms?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by John845, Oct 6, 2010.

1. John845

John845 White Belt

I've been suffering from breathlessness/chest tightness for close to a year now. I've been an athlete all my life and I play soccer and train jiu jitsu as well. So yea I've been having breathing problems, and its been affecting me greatly. Someone brought it up to me today that what I've been having could possibly be related to my ribs being slightly out of place. The biggest culprit to this could be that I trained in jiu jitsu with a guy who was much heavier than me and he put a lot of weight on my chest when in my half guard. All along I've been thinking it could be related to food allergies and pollen and I've changed my diet all of that accordingly, and it HAS improved but not as much as I'd like.

My question is, has anyone suffered through this before and if they did, was it due to allergies or a rib misalignment.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

See a doctor.

3. John845

John845 White Belt

I have.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

And what did the doctor say?

5. John845

John845 White Belt

He said I had light asthma symptoms. He prescribed me an inhaler and all that crap but this was when my problems where at its worst, 9 months ago. I ain't touching no inhaler as overtime the steroids within them weaken the lungs. Shortly after this doctor visit my symptoms improved but I still feel a nagging problem every now and then.

6. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

What is this belief based on?

Asthma can get better or worse depending upon a number of different factors. This does not mean you wouldn't benefit from medication.

You also have the option of seeing the doctor again, and raising your concerns with him, or seeing a different doctor for a second opinion.