Slick Open Guard Pass

however many points you would get for passing straight to mount would apply here methinks.

What position do you usually end up in, when you miss the pass?

What position do you usually end up in, when you miss the pass?

Depends on where you miss.

If you miss after getting a hook in, probably bottom or top HG. If you miss before that, it would result in a scramble, and honestly, I think you'd maintain top position because of the double lapel control.

For no-gi, after you stack them, could you grab their biceps perhaps to compensate for no lapel?

Here is my professor showing a different option for nogi. He is ironically showing it on my buddy Torryn, who is living in the Connection Rio house right now. :icon_lol:

Here is my professor showing a different option for nogi. He is ironically showing it on my buddy Torryn, who is living in the Connection Rio house right now. :icon_lol:

damn this is slick too. i got so many crazy things to drill now!

thread supported.

To go back a bit over a year, Gilbert Burns tried a very similar pass/back take on Michael Langhi in the finals of the Mundials 2009.

Nearly worked. Seriously pimp if you can pull it off, though. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Tried it at training. No drilling, just threw it in while rolling.

Was unable to get the leg to swing over and ended up doing a standard stack pass. So even if it DOES fail - it doesn't go completely pear-shaped.

ed ramos taught me this pass about a year ago, i use it fairly regularly off the double unders... love it!

Tried this tonight...did not go well. Felt like I was forgetting some major details.

However, it just looks too cool to give up on it

I also tried, just to rep it. I failed but after watching the video I realized My left knee/leg was straight knee forward and not turned in like showed. Also, I swung my leg over a little wrong. I will keep drilling it.
It also failed because I am a 5month white belt methinks..

I tried to hit it in practice, and got it after three attempts i sparing. Actually what helped me was not tucking my leg under his back but kicking it out and then turning to my side

I can almost imagine a Sakuraba style variation of this :)

This is bad ass. I've been working the double under pass lately (actually just my passing game in general) and it's coming along. I was actually going to ask if there were variations just so I could mix things up. The double under pass is my favorite to use on other whitebelts because for a second they think they have you triangled, then you pass. It's a funny look on their face.

Will try later, but since I suck, it wont look so pretty methinks. Let us know how this works for you in comp, if you ever choose to use it.

Just wanted to bring this one to the top! I hit this perfectly off a double lapel sweep from deep half guard I learned off Ryan Halls Deep Half Guard DVD. Pretty easy when you have the lapels in hand and you definitely feel like a rock star nailing this back take!

Good stuff as always from The Gerbil! :D

I saw a video of Kevin Taylor (a local Renzo BB,) demonstrating this a couple years ago - but couple years ago - but could never get the hang of it.

Thanks for the refresher - will try tonight!

A dynamic open guard pass for when your opponent is playing open guard with his feet on the ground behind his head. I have a couple of passes that I use for this position but after learning this pass recently in Brazil I have been having a lot of success.

At the beginning of this video I say that I have not used it yet, but I taped this move over a month ago and have been playing with it since. I have successfully hit this move on more than one occasion and although it does not always look this picture perfect it usually allows me to come up on their back. I have not scrambled into a bad position yet off of this transition.

A couple of key notes. 1. It is very important to get onto your own shoulders. Make sure to tuck your head. After having repped this out I realize how important it is to be on your shoulders and I would have emphasized it more in the video had I waited to film it. Secondly it is important to set that hook as quickly as possible, once that hook is in you can use it to push them away even if you dont get the picture perfect finish, it will save you from getting in trouble.

In case you didnt know they are not very popular on naming moves here in Brazil. When this was taught to me in class by another student he did not have a name for it. I just refer to it as the "Rock Star" pass because when I hit the move I feel like a rock star.

I subscribe to your channel so I have been using this one for a few weeks... It is a little tougher for me to pull this off on heavier taller (6' 230) guys at times but its money with guys smaller than me. I am 6'4 205lbs... But, like Mr. Gerbil said and not that he needs my validation but I have NEVER wound up in a bad position off of this setup. If anything I sometimes don't get my hook in quick enough or I lose my grip on his lapel... Thanks so much for this one because it has helped me with these small, Squirmy, FAST open guards cats that give me so much trouble.

One other problem I had is that if your like me and you have shitty flexibility in your hips then you might have problems throwing your leg over his legs if you don't lean to the left or right like Mr. Gerbil does.. I forgot about that small part of the technique which in my case was a Major part...

I subscribe to your channel so I have been using this one for a few weeks... It is a little tougher for me to pull this off on heavier taller (6' 230) guys at times but its money with guys smaller than me. I am 6'4 205lbs... But, like Mr. Gerbil said and not that he needs my validation but I have NEVER wound up in a bad position off of this setup. If anything I sometimes don't get my hook in quick enough or I lose my grip on his lapel... Thanks so much for this one because it has helped me with these small, Squirmy, FAST open guards cats that give me so much trouble.

One other problem I had is that if your like me and you have shitty flexibility in your hips then you might have problems throwing your leg over his legs if you don't lean to the left or right like Mr. Gerbil does.. I forgot about that small part of the technique which in my case was a Major part...

Thanks for the response on the technique and I'm glad that you're having a lot of success with it!

and please, for the love of God, please stop calling me "Mr. Gerbil"...it sounds like a character from children's novel.

Back