Slick Open Guard Pass

cool stuff. looks like something that the mendes brothers would do

my thoughts exactly lol.

i think i saw de la riva do a similarly crazy backtake somewhere.

sweet move.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Hall likes to take the back like that. Rafa Mendes as well.

Gerbil let us know when you hit that in practice

I have gotten it 5 or 6 times so far in practice. The video was made the day after I saw it so I hadnt hit it yet.

I've mostly gotten it against blues when I force them over but honestly I've been waiting to use it against one brown belt in particular who likes to relax and play up on his shoulders like that. I had been saving it, purposefully not posting it, so that he wouldnt see it...then someone thought it would be smart to show it to him in class before I had the chance to use it...ohh well cats out of the bag now.

the real question here is; How many points is this maneuver? I'm thinking it's 7 but I'm pretty sure most referees would shit their pants when you do it and only give you the 4 for the back.

the real question here is; How many points is this maneuver? I'm thinking it's 7 but I'm pretty sure most referees would shit their pants when you do it and only give you the 4 for the back.

Pesonaly, I give you 4 points. It's a super slick move that completely circumvents the guard which is cool, but since you didn't go through the grueling trench-work of guard passing you don't really deserve the 3 points.

If he got to Turtle and you put your hooks in that would still be just 4 points

I would give you an extra 1 point for coolness. Two extra points if the ref's head explodes.

That's the most beautiful thing I've seen in quite a while.
Pesonaly, I give you 4 points. It's a super slick move that completely circumvents the guard which is cool, but since you didn't go through the grueling trench-work of guard passing you don't really deserve the 3 points.

If he got to Turtle and you put your hooks in that would still be just 4 points

I would give you an extra 1 point for coolness. Two extra points if the ref's head explodes.
To quote two great characters: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

We need cl3ar r00lz interpretation.

And two points for exploding a ref's head.

For no-gi, after you stack them, could you grab their biceps perhaps to compensate for no lapel?

For no-gi, after you stack them, could you grab their biceps perhaps to compensate for no lapel?

I tried to brainstorm a nogi variation of this by holding the wrists but the truth is that if you can get the kind of grip you would need to do a variation of this the chances of you doing this move over something else is very low. The ability to hold on the lapels gives you the chance to disengage a little more than you would without the kimono. If you play around with this and find something no gi oriented I would love to see it.

Yea that's on the Fusion DVD from a couple years back. He also does one from double sleeve control (instead of double lapel) and he basically slides into an armbar, it's pretty bad ass.

Bill Cooper tried it on Kayron Gracie at 2010 mundials.

Didn't work, but Kayron is really good.

hey gerbil what's the success rate when u attempt this pass? is it harder to get on andvanced guys?

I was taught this pass earlier this year from a brown belt under Little Nog, it's definitely a slick pass, but if you screw up where you put your foot across then you end up in deep shit.

hey gerbil what's the success rate when u attempt this pass? is it harder to get on andvanced guys?

the success rate was pretty decent. Whenever I would try it against someone less skilled than myself I would hit it. Sometimes it felt forced and I actually started coming up on my own shoulder more too, this helped me take the back if they were stubborn and didnt want to roll, does that make sense?

The advanced guys gave me more of a problem because when they went into that position they either dont stay there long or give me problems controlling the lapels. In the video you can see that I control the lapels BEFORE I put him up on his shoulders, I find that I'm not taking that control when I do it for real and when the position comes up I'm a step behinds.

I'm going to have to find a transition that leads to the up on the shoulders, other than getting double under and stack, and rep it out some more to make it usable against some better people.

thanks for the explanation gerbil, i understood what u meant by having to go onto your shoulder more as u having to invert yourself more to take the back if they were reluctant to roll from that stacked, pretty cool pass, i havent seen that before, id love to see that in mma

I was taught this pass earlier this year from a brown belt under Little Nog, it's definitely a slick pass, but if you screw up where you put your foot across then you end up in deep shit.

well that's a nice way to put it, haha!

Back