Sleeping on Volkanovski

People were on him pretty hard following the Mendes fight.

He just didn't fight last week, and hence is not the latest GOAT to discuss and argue about.

Been a big believer since his first UFC fight that he would be top 5 and a potential title holder.

If Max beats Poirier (which I think he will), I dont think Max fights at 145 again, at least not for a year minimum.

In that case I think Aldo and Volk are the clear next best two in the division, and if Holloway is goin to fight Khabib you could even strip him and max Aldo vs Volk for the vacant title. I think Edgar needs a fight before getting a shot and a Edgar v Zabit fight would be a great fight to determine the next contender.

For what it's worth I've got Volk over Aldo due to his forward pressure and volume forcing Aldo onto the back foot, though I think 5 rounds would favour him more than 3.

should be fighting Ortega next to get that #1 contender spot. Wish Jose would use his last 2 fights for something fun... A fight at LW or some other challenge.

This is the year of the Macedonian fighters. Alexander the Great becomes a champion!
You realize he was born in Australia though right and has Macedonian ancestry on his father's side.

Whether Volkanovski or Aldo wins, I see the UFC making an interim title fight v Edgar or Ortiz as Max fights Poirier.
You realize Max fights Poirier at 236 a month before Volk Aldo at 237 right? So if Max wins and stays up they'd likely make Volk Aldo for the interim title. Also assume you mean Ortega not Ortiz?

You realize he was born in Australia though right and has Macedonian ancestry on his father's side.

Yes, thats why he chose the nickname Alexander the Great, the Macedonian greatest king.

Not too many people are talking about how good Volkanovski is. We are sleeping or him, considering how good he is what he's done in the past few fights, how durable, explosive and the fight IQ makes him a title contender after this fight. I called Volkanovski beats Aldo. What's your take on it?
Volkanovski is a beast. It sucks for jeremy kennedy to have been cut by the UFC after losing to this guy who is TOP 3 in the world. Kennedy only has 1 career loss. Its fucked up man

He’s an excellent fighter. I believe Aldo to be better but it’s far from a lock. By the 2nd round we’ll know just exactly how good Volk is. My heart and brain say Aldo but my wallet wants no part of the conversation.

Yeah. I like both guys, too, and It sucks to see them fight. I was hoping for Aldo vs. ortega, or even Aldo at LW.

My exact thoughts. I’m not a huge fan of pair Aldo with these young gun contenders. Really wanted the Ortega fight at FW or Tony. The latter looked like a strong possibility after max and Dustin agreed to fight and tony tweeted “I can make FW.” Unraveled quickly but I had hope.

Definitely not sleeping on him, just not sleeping on Aldo more. I think Aldo is the better striker, faster, and if Volkanovski mixes it up, I don’t see him able to take/hold him down or against the fence. Obviously Volkanovski can hurt him on the feet though, just think technically aldo is better

He removed all doubt from me with his fight with Mendes. He's legit AF.
Exactly, he totally has my attention after showing a heart bigger than himself in that fight, there is absolutely zero quit in that guy, and I will always pull for fighters who refuse to quit. Mendes had him hurt really bad, and he kept coming. Mendes folded when Alexander hurt him back.

I already feel sorry for Aldo ,
Volk. will beat Aldo badly

Volk has the IT factor. He is a fucking wrecking machine. Heart of a lion, the courage of his namesake, and he demonstrates high fight IQ and adaptability.
Aldo is certainly a better technical kickboxer and has god-tier TD defense. So i can't see Volk implementing an effective GnP path to victory like he did against Kazuya or Kennedy. However Volk is definitely good enough to bullrush Aldo and force a clinch and cage pressure game that he can benefit from with his chin and overall cardio. Whilst his basic TD game - outside trip and muscle double leg - is pretty limited, and is gonna be fuck all for aldo to shrug off, his clinch striking is really creative and unorthodox and he'll punish aldo if aldo tries to break clinch often. If he does gets it down he can easily survive Aldo's guard game and land some gnp and top pressure to wear aldo down a bit. I'd also suggest Volk is physically way stronger than Aldo.
So there is a lot of upside and a 3 rounder where volk literally can go 100% every single second is a big deal.
For me this is a case of young lion meets old lion. Old lion is a bit more skilled and a bit more crafty, but the young lion is like a force of nature and i think will take it.
If the fight gets the go ahead, i'll be rooting for Volk.

I'm done doubting Aldo, dude is dangerous and a veteran. He beats Volk, he will cement his legacy as one of the greatest MMA fighters to ever walk this planet, which he is already in the category of elite along side Jones, Silva, Holloway, GSP Etc.

Yeah was down South where he is from a few weeks back and spoke to many dudes out in the local that knew him or trained with him. Lots of excitement from very small towns there that cant believe he made the big time. Im an Aldo fan but if any Aldo fans read this just know if Alex wins, he comes from a cool place with cool people and humble backgrounds. Not a fuckwit that talks shit.

He's been considered the dark horse for awhile. Now its time to show everyone how good he is.

He's been considered the dark horse for awhile. Now its time to show everyone how good he is.
dude he showed is is champ material when he punched the shit out of mendes.
Mendes has only lost to Aldo, Frankie and Conor (short notice for him on the Conor fight as well).

dude he showed is is champ material when he punched the shit out of mendes.
Mendes has only lost to Aldo, Frankie and Conor (short notice for him on the Conor fight as well).
Exactly, Chad has only lost to Champions. Hope its a pattern for Alex. But I fucking love Aldo. FUCK!!

Exactly, Chad has only lost to Champions. Hope its a pattern for Alex. But I fucking love Aldo. FUCK!!
Mortal Wombat, you have to give up your love for the Brazillian. I am sorry, but you can't forsake your homeland!

In that case I think Aldo and Volk are the clear next best two in the divine
How Volk? Volk has a win over post failed test mendes who is 1-3 in his last 4 with his only win being vs jury
Edgar beat Swanson and was on tear before Ortega
One top ten win doesn’t make you a title challenger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back