sledge hammer tire hits?

thaiboxer92

White Belt
Reaction score
first off is their a legit name for this workout take a sledge and start wacking tires. i think i kinda got the form down is their anything i should make sure im doing/not doing. how many should i be doing on each side. how much will it help me with muay thai and nogi grappling. thanks

Sledgehammer swinging.

It will help you with rotational strenght (important for striking power and throwing power) grip to an extent and with gas and work capacity.

...So yeah its good as fuck but just one of many tools in the toolbox...

After you hit the tire, flip it. Rinse. Repeat.

Anyone have an opinion on one handed swings? I've toyed with the idea, but never made any commitment as part of a workout. I think it'd be very "functional" for athletic purposes.

I think it would kill your poweroutput and transform it into more of a grip/wrist excersice. Would propably be another good tool in the toolbox but not as meat and potatoes as regular swings.

I think it would kill your poweroutput and transform it into more of a grip/wrist excersice. Would propably be another good tool in the toolbox but not as meat and potatoes as regular swings.

What enticed me about them was the very real "core" involvement in them. and that they form a kinetic chain extending from your feet, through a rotating core, out through a single arm... similar to a lot of athletic maneuvers. But ultimately I guess you're right, they're not much of a key swing for the very reasons you listed.

Youd have to use a very light hammer so that your grip/wrist strength doesnt limit your power output.

Maybe use something like a baseball bat?

maybe just man up and don't have such ***gy wrists... TEH PWN!

Yeh, not everyone is a Spartan champion like you.

*puts up picture of Urban in my room for inspiration*

i liked him in Hooligans

it was a good flick, i recommend it

if there was a way to tie the sledge to your wrist one arms would be sweet.

When I am drenched with sweat, it's hard enough to hold with 2 hands.

Single arm should be good, but you'd have to go cross body to get the same kind of core work as two-handed.

Maybe that's a reason to do them, maybe it's not.

i liked him in Hooligans

it was a good flick, i recommend it

Damn good movie.
Had there clubs song stuck in my head, whenever it popped up I just wanted to start swinging.

I think swinging a sledge hammer will definitely help build explosive strength that can be brought into the ring. It will not only help your whole body to build strength, it will also help you to build cardio endurance if you swing it long enough. If you are skeptical about how it could be used technique wise, check out this video of Rampage Jackson slamming his opponent just like he's swinging a sledge hammer...World Extreme Fighter.

Back