Slack: The only way she (Ronda) gets into clinch is running forward and eating blows

That is why so many people wanted to see Rousey fight Cyborg. I would love to see Rousey trying to charge through Cyborg's punches.
Ronda wouldn't need to, Cyborg would be the one doing the charging. I'd be interested to see if Cyborg pulls Ronda into mount like she did against Carano twice.

I was referring to the hype that the UFC has built around Ronda. Conor may be over-hyped but he still is a good fighter.

McGregor isn't overhyped. He has passed every single test in spades. Maybe it's time for people to finally acknowledge that he's the real deal.

Or you can move your head and slip punches right into the clinch which happens in every fight, or make Holly be the aggressor and work into it from there.

That's not what Ronda does though, which is his point. That's just how Ronda fights.

What about the REVOLUTIONARY aspect of Ronda Rousey? If Canner McMario has one, I'm sure Jack Slack can pull one out of his ass for Ronda.

Every thread I see you in, you make some stupid "Canner McMario" joke. It's pretty lame, and you should probably give it a rest. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he keeps winning and putting his money where his mouth is, so you might as well just quit while you're ahead, before you look even stupider.

As I said before I don't think Slacks "Killing the Queen" entirely reflected what we saw with Rousey/Holm but was close enough that people were willing to buy into it as absolute truth. Of course what he outlined is roughly true BUT I think the gif's he included in his own article provide you with a good argument as to what changed with Rousey.

You watch those earlier Rousey gifs pre McMann and I think what clearly stands out is that whilst she moves forward aggressive throwing punches she've not really commited to those punches. She focus is clearly on closing the distance as fast as possible tracking an opponent with arm punches as cover.

Watch Rousey over her last 5 fights besides Cat who presented her with an opening for a takedown instantly and you'll see this clearly changed. Rousey still chases down opponents BUT she does so mostly in order to throw power punches. There were obviously some takedown attempts from Rousey but to me its very clear that she's often not looking for the clinch but instead to throw power punches from close range which put her off balance and make it much easier for Holm to sidestep or circle out plus work a jab.

The giveaway for me is surely that for all slacks talk modern MMA is absolutely choc full of clinching, double and single legs have become harder to get but clinches are something almost nobody can avoid entirely for prolonged periods if an opponent is looking for them.

ronda-rousey.jpg

"Even if she carried her same brilliance into a clinch with stronger individuals—she only has one way of getting there, running straight forwards and eating blows."

Interesting piece here. This is a perfect balance, give Ronda her due for being ahead of the game, but keep it realistic and keep her out of the man vs woman discussions.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wushu-watch-ronda-rousey-versus-men

Any top 25 male fighter? These posts are so delusional IMO. I would go as far as to say any decent male purple belt (jiu jitsu) or higher with minor striking proficiency would take this fight with relative ease.

Ronda wouldn't need to, Cyborg would be the one doing the charging. I'd be interested to see if Cyborg pulls Ronda into mount like she did against Carano twice.

Whi cares? Cyborg is a better grappler than Ronda. Ronda has judo. She's not pulling off the noobiest sub of all time against Cyborg.

That's a good point -

Most fans of other sports (GOLF included) aren't making dumb "what-if" scenarios comparing men and women. Rousey's appeal to a wide, non-hardcore audience is probably partly to blame for why those comparisons pop-up; some idiot will see her fight for the first time, having little prior MMA knowledge, and think she could beat the men. (How does that make you feel, boys??)

They don't make the claim because in every sport women start to be outstripped by men around 14 due to testosterone and their larger, more athletic frames.

By 18 an athletic man possesses the athleticsm to medal in multiple female sports. For example, no women in Australia has ever benched press more than 240 pounds. I assure you such a bench is attainable for even the below (in terms of strength genetics) average man.

Bill Belichick is considered the best NFL coach and has never played any main position in collegiate or professional leagues.

It doesn't always matter.

While this is true, does Jack Slack actually train anyone?

I don't understand how people who have never actually implemented any of the techniques they claim to be an expert on in actual competition have any credibility.

i think you'd find in many areas there are experts who never participated at high levels or at all

Has the person who wrote this article ever watched an mma fight in his life? This is a fight...last time I checked you get hit in fights

aggressive behavior doesn't get you knocked out in mma; not nearly as much as it does in boxing. Plus Holly doesn't have power, which once again is way more important in mma than it is in boxing.

You can only make someone pay for overaggressive behavior in mma when you are confident you can stay on your feet, aka - WHEN YOU CAN WRESTLE. Watch Cro Cop when he fought in Pride. There sure as hell isn't a Cro Cop in this division, not even close.

If you want to beat Ronda you have to take the fight TO HER. Something Cyborg would be more than happy to do, and hence why they're not fighting. :icon_chee

Hmm.

I feel like I see "Ronda Vs Men" talk mostly when people bring it up to criticize it, and not people actually being serious about it.

Agreed I don't why the Men Vs Woman Ronda fights are even an issue its really a bad hype Job.

But Rhonda could beat Zeus

Stupid ass ufc hype job. In the weakess division in the history or any sport.

Wmma should be on a seperate card

Jack slack has broken down numerous fights and techniques and he is more often spot fucking on.
His fight knowledge is great yet we have internet wannabes that don't ever give him credit.

This Rousey piece of his was not his first bit of insight that proved to be true.

Here is a tip shertards.
When jack slack gives his opinion...its a good idea to listen to what he is saying.

After the "cloner" guy, I have to read Canner McMario everywhere now... Gimme a break.

I saw her recent pics. Blows must be extremely caloric.

That's a good point -

Most fans of other sports (GOLF included) aren't making dumb "what-if" scenarios comparing men and women. Rousey's appeal to a wide, non-hardcore audience is probably partly to blame for why those comparisons pop-up; some idiot will see her fight for the first time, having little prior MMA knowledge, and think she could beat the men. (How does that make you feel, boys??)

Apparently you don't remember when Michelle Wie came up...

Or Venus and Serena Williams...

Selective memory, much?

Ronda vs Holly
GSP vs Johny
Anderson vs Weidman
Barao vs TJ
Jones vs Gus

All upsets or rough fights for the champ using the outlines and blueprints Jack Slack uses in his Killing the King articles before the fights happened.

Apparently you don't remember when Michelle Wie came up...

Or Venus and Serena Williams...

Selective memory, much?

I said they are not - not necessarily never have. You have female golfers currently winning multiple majors (Inbee Park winning two in 2015) - yet the general buzz is not clamoring about her contending with men. Compare the buzz to Jordan Spieth just before the British Open.

Well until Mike Winkeljohn, André Pederneiras, Duane Ludwig, or Rafael Cordeiro start posting on here we'll just have to make do with the striking analysts willing to give it up for free like Slack and Ruesbech.

Who cares who he has trained? You're not looking to sign up with him as your trainer in preparation for your run at the WBC World title; you're reading free shit on the internet.

LOL if you think Slack doesn't get paid

I don't understand how people who have never actually implemented any of the techniques they claim to be an expert on in actual competition have any credibility.

Yeah I could understand that. The kimura is either an extremely low percentage technique or I suck ass at it because I think I have only gotten it to work one time in 15 years of grappling off and on. I don't think I'd be trying to give a seminar on it.

Not that anyone is calling for anything as ridiculous as Dodson/Derousey, but if that fight did happen it would be worse than just shocking the audience. MMA would most likely be banned from the US if this fight was ever held.

She would get killed or permanently damaged.
If you read the article about the guys that faced Aldo talking about him, you will see that MMA beyond the Octagon is some serious shit. Florian lost sense in his leg for a great while, Uriah got chest pains for 2 years.
Dodson would murder her. It would turn into a horror movie in about 30 seconds.

I was referring to the hype that the UFC has built around Ronda. Conor may be over-hyped but he still is a good fighter.

Funny thing is the UFC hasn't hyped Ronda, her actions in and out of the cage is what has made her. The UFC hasn't spent a million dollars to hype her up. They didn't need to.

They don't make the claim because in every sport women start to be outstripped by men around 14 due to testosterone and their larger, more athletic frames.

By 18 an athletic man possesses the athleticsm to medal in multiple female sports. For example, no women in Australia has ever benched press more than 240 pounds. I assure you such a bench is attainable for even the below (in terms of strength genetics) average man.

Doesn't say much for Australia if that's true, and I'm fairly sure it's BS

https://youtu.be/bxAc97K2I5M

Before the mendes fight, much of sherdog was saying how mendes would expose conor

Conor fought against arguably the worst match up for him and still won

Now people are saying edgar is the one to beat him

Conor may have used his mouth to get many opportunities, but he is a top tier fighter. Not sure if he would beat edgar or aldo, but he has shown a great fight iq and talent.

Its funny how blindly sherdog can hate or nuthug fighters

Funny thing is even though he Won Conor did get exposed.

sucks that Slack is even engaging in this bullshit line of inquiry

McGregor isn't overhyped. He has passed every single test in spades. Maybe it's time for people to finally acknowledge that he's the real deal.

I think if the UFC has to pay a million dollars and a world tour to try and sell you to the world it says something.

Back