Skin Conditions from Grappling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Fitch Fan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Fitch Fan

Fitch Fan White Belt

Is there anyway to help prevent catching stuff from grappling? I want to sign up for Submission wrestling but I am concerned about what I might catch. How common is it to get mat herpes? Are the odds with me or against me? I'm not trying to be a sissy but if I'm honest Im I little creeped out. I mean anyone off the street can just come roll. Any help ?

2. lanp3960

lanp3960 White Belt

I don't want to say catching something is UNcommon, but it's not all that likely if you take care of yourself and have decent training partners. Prevention is basically making sure your gym/club is responsible about washing the mats with antibacterial cleanser at least once a day on training days. Any legitimate club will not let just anybody from the street into their club, especially if they have obviously poor hygiene. Beyond that, wash yourself and your shit after EVERY SINGLE training day. Your rash guard, shorts, gi, belt (Yes, wash your belt. You will not lose your knowledge). Shower within an hour of training, max, with hot water and soap.

Odds are, eventually you will get something like ringworm. I'm diligent as hell about it and so are my teammates, but I walked away from a tourny with a nice circle once. Staph is less common, but extremely serious. And "mat herpes?" Well, if you end up in North-South, don't pleasure your infected teammate and you should be fine there.

Oh, and if you ever do get something, DO NOT TRAIN until it is gone or can be completely covered with gauze/tape so you don't give anyone else your funk.

3. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

been posted before on here by bare repeating:

1. Thou shalt wear a clean gi to every class. Thy claims of inconvenient launderettes and insufficient multitudes of gis doth not excuse wearing a dirty gi.

2. Thou shalt ensure thy body is reasonably clean before training, remembering that recent menstruation or copulation may require additional cleaning.

3. Thou shalt not train whilst afflicted with illness. Training whilst ill is accursed to you and your fellow students, while bringing blessings to the bacteria and viruses.

4. Thou shalt cover thy feet when stepping off the mat, especially if visiting the lockerroom or the porcelain shrine.

5. Thou shalt clean they own blood and vomit. Puttest away thy childish notion that thy nurse maid will cleanse the spilling of your innards.

6. Thou shalt trim they nails. Fight not with scratching and clawing like a cat in the jungle but with technique, and thy way will be lightened.

7. Thou shalt maintain good oral hygiene so as not to offend peers and ensure your teeth don't fallest out whilst training.

8. Thou shalt shower after every class. Water and soap doth not kill all bacteria and viruses, so a good scrubbing with a small towel designed for such purposes is a further blessing.

9. Thou shalt bandage thy wounds to reduce the likelihood of infection in yourself or others

10. Thou shalt wash thy hands after visiting the porcelain shrine. If thy hands smell like the paper with which thy wipeth, washeth thy hands again.

4. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

Im always piss scared someones gonna come in with mouth herpes and roll at my gym. That stuff sheds, and even if you don't roll with the guy who has it, you can still easily pick it up off the mats.

If you have cold sores stay the F out of the gym!

5. Fitch Fan

Fitch Fan White Belt

Have you ever heard of mat herpes?

6. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

There is this new invention called a shower and bath tub that has running hot water (it MUST be magic)... use it.

THAT is what my BJJ coach told me when I asked him about this on my second day... that and that there is this OTHER new invention called a washing machine and multiple gis.

7. Half Amazing

Half Amazing Blue Belt

Herpes Gladiatorum brah, its a real thing.

Herpes gladiatorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I gave Defense Soap a review (in my signature). It's a soap you shower with after grappling, it contains natural ingredients which help remove harmful fungi, bacteria and viruses.

Give my review a read if you're interested!

9. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

There aren't many epidemiological studies of "mat herpes" or herpes gladiatorum.

A study of a wrestling season done back in 1984-1985 showed an incidence of 2.6% in high school wrestlers and 7.6% in collegiate wrestlers. These are probably underestimates, since many cases go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. NCAA Division I rates of incidence have been reported as high as 20-40%.

It is transmitted by skin to skin contact following virus shedding, which can occur without symptoms. Face and extremities are usually sites of transmission, and studies show that for HG, HSV-1 (oral labial strain) is more common than HSV-2 (usually associated with genital herpes).

Complications from HG involve the eye. Blepharitis, conjunctivitis, keratitis, scleritis, and uveitis are possible entities, and in the US, HSV-1 is the #1 cause of blindness from an infectious disease.

It seems the most important part of preventing outbreaks is properly identifying those who have the condition, and ensuring that they are taking proper steps to control it. The NCAA has recommended that coaches confirm adequate antiviral treatment thru physician documentation in athletes that have HG.

The above information can be found in the following articles available thru PubMed via most academic institutions' web access:

Johnson R. "Herpes gladiatorum and other skin diseases." Clin Sports Med 23 (2004) 473

10. Doctor Gonzo

Doctor Gonzo Belfort's TRT-inspired mohawk.

ever had coldsores? then you have herpes on your face..

I've been cleaning the mats lately at the place I train and do that twice a day, vacuum it once a day and clean blood off every day

11. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

long sleeve rashguard, it works.

12. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I don't use it but there is a guy at my schoolt that uses something called "KS Skin Protect" it looks like a white foam that you rub on your skin prior to rolling to prevent catching something. I guess I am traditional and just put germ-x on my hands and feet right after, then shower as soon as I get home. Also I own three GI's and always was them with a small cap of bleach....

13. Fitch Fan

Fitch Fan White Belt

14. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

A lot of bad bacteria actually lives on the skin, and when the skin gets a crack in it (a cut or something) that's how you get infected.

15. Fitch Fan

Fitch Fan White Belt

No I've never had cold sores. Can you catch mat herpes from sweat alone?

16. Aranjuez

Aranjuez White Belt

I've had what I think is athlete's foot for months now. It's preventing me from participating in grappling. It's not the between-the-toes fungus, but there are red blotches, and a few bumps on the side of my big toe, sides of the feet, and a spot on the bottom of my right foot.

I've soaked my feet in bleach + water twice daily. I also tried a 91% isopropyl alcohol soak daily for a while.

I've used multiple tubes of lamisil & lotrimin, and the tinactin spray. And I sprinkle a powder to absorb moisture in the morning, bought new shoes, and completely bleached the shower.

The shit is still there... maybe it's time to visit a doctor. :icon_neut

17. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I sent you a pm, bro

18. Aranjuez

Aranjuez White Belt

Looking into it. Thanks.

19. Aranjuez

Aranjuez White Belt

Ok... just ordered the Athlete's Foot Pack. I'm in Columbus so hopefully I receive it sooner rather than later. I'll include a review of the product when I've finished.

20. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Looking forward to hearing your review of it!