Skill wise, Is Emmett’s ceiling Prime Mendes?

He’s the hardest hitting FW in the world, but there are elite guys at the top of the division that could neutralize him I think. He hits hard enough to turn anyone’s world upside down though, so he’s always a threat. He might hit harder than Mendes ever did, but Chad was a better overall fighter. Mendes at his best is one of the best FWs ever.

Similar styles. Mendes has better wrestling but Emmett can crack harder.

The only difference is Emmett is fighting in a wide open division so he has a decent chance of being champ.
Styles are not similar.

Wide open division: holloway, kz, yair, ortega??

What are u talking about?

Or will he never be that good? Discuss
He's definitely got some similarities but he's been around for a while now and isn't getting any younger so I'm going to have to say no cause time is not on his side.

Just being compared to Prime Mendez is a pretty big deal though since, without the misfortune of his prime running in conjunction with a man named Jose, the most dominant FW of all time, he would have most certainly been at least a couple time defending FW Champion. Instead he will just go down as the long time #2 to the #1 that was simply on another level.

Emmett defensively is similar to Mendes, but offensively very different. He matches up well with KZ, Zabit, and Ortega.. he may struggle with Holloway and Yair.

I hope his knee is OK and he gets a big fight, because I'd like to see it!

To be fair to him, he’s good.

he’s just a problem, bombs in both hands good TDD and a solid chin

if Jeremy didn’t fuck his run up he would have probably had a title shot by now

he sure likes to telegraph that right don't he? dropping that left shoulder. people will get wise. especially good boxers which the divisioin is plentiful with.

I think its proven by now that Stephens doesn't have it to go all the way. He's an awesome gatekeeper though. One every guy in the division should go through at some point I think his morale is super low these days and he'll prob be forced to retire if he keeps losing like this. his last run for the belt was just that...his last.

I honestly think Mendes was the best featherweight to never become champion in that division. And I include Edgar in that. He was just unlucky that Aldo and then McGregor were in their primes at the same time as him. So I wouldn't put Emmet in the same bracket as him at all.

he sure likes to telegraph that right don't he? dropping that left shoulder. people will get wise. especially good boxers which the divisioin is plentiful with.

MJ is one of the best boxers in that division

(yes he is don’t fucking argue with me)

15 minutes is a long time to fight and dodge those shots

I think people sleep on how good Chad was simply cuz Aldo was around and was the Alpha during that span. He was a monster.

But yeah, I don't think Josh will be as good as Chad but he hits harder for sure.

That Mendes/Aldo 2 fight is still the 145 GOAT fight. That was Aldo at his best too. When he got up out of those takedowns in seconds, reversed one into mount. Before he started fading he was so good.

Dummies still forget Mendes was a full camp away from beating Conor, imo.

Heart seems a little bigger, maybe equal with roided mendes

That Mendes/Aldo 2 fight is still the 145 GOAT fight. That was Aldo at his best too. When he got up out of those takedowns in seconds, reversed one into mount. Before he started fading he was so good.

Dummies still forget Mendes was a full camp away from beating Conor, imo.
Either camp or cycle

yeah like Shane is solid don't get me wrong, but I think Kattar/Zabit would mop him and the top guys like Max/Volk would make him look like a scrub, unless he lands one on the chin sending them to the next dimension.
Zabit would get slept by Emmett

Mendes was legitimately one of the best athletes we've ever seen at featherweight. Emmett is a good athlete, Mendes was gifted.

Skill wise, I'd also have a hard time seeing Mendes get murder killed by Stephens. He was a better wrestler and more versatile.

Josh hits really hard and is willing to spam big shots. His ceiling may be right around what we just saw - a controversial decision with a guy like Burgos. Good, but not top of the food chain.

It'll be interesting to see how Emmett does in his next few fights against top ranked opponents.
controversial?

Back