Skill and Power Trumps Size (Andrade vs Chookagian)

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread is me gloating a bit, because exactly what I said would happen, happened.

upload_2020-10-19_18-24-28.png

Honestly, I'm very surprised so many people picked against Andrade for this fight, based solely on Katlyn's size advantage. I thought it was apparently obvious Jessica was leaps and bounds better than Katlyn. I thought she should have been a much bigger favorite, and Saturday night she proved me right. Katlyn had nothing for Jessica. Despite being 8 inches taller, Jessica was still able to pick her and slam her to the mat with ease, and Katlyn just could not withstand her power.

Katlyn thought she could keep the much smaller Jessica at bay with her reach, but she was just overwhelmed by the relentless savage that is Jessica Andrade, as I knew she would be.

Finally, 125 has an actual decent contender. Someone significant for Valentina to fight! That said, Valentina should be a very clear favorite for their matchup. I'd say she should be at least -250.

Last edited:
Val is on another level. People aren’t gonna like it but she’s one of the only true wmma fighters out there along with Nunes. All the rest just look like they have barely any skill

Jessica Andrade is like a tank. She kinda reminds me of a female prime John Dodson. How many WMMA fighters have this type of one punch ko power?

image-placeholder-title.gif

She ain’t bad but she brute forces a lot of what she does. I guess it’s up to her opponent to be better than that and it’s working so far so why change
Jessica saw that she hurt Katlyn and went straight to hit her again in that same spot. That's not just brute force. She's smarter than you give her credit for.

@Kyojiro Kagenuma Kind of clear here that sometimes, size isn't the be-all-end-all when it comes to how the result of a fight is going to turn out. See Cain vs Lesnar/Bigfoot fights as an example.

Andrade should probably get a title shot after that KO/TKO btw. Not that the odds are stacked against her since Valentina clearly has a skill and even a speed advantage...

And we all know what happens when one side has a speed+skill advantage. See Izzy vs Costa for example.

at 125 Jessica looked pretty good, remember he was a 135 fighter so the weight cut isnt that bad like in 115, she should be a more than decent contender, she has strenght, KO power, tkd capacity, though Valentina is far more technical and a has a better gas tank

at 125 Jessica looked pretty good, remember he was a 135 fighter so the weight cut isnt that bad like in 115, she should be a more than decent contender, she has strenght, KO power, tkd capacity, though Valentina is far more technical and a has a better gas tank
Jessica's gas tank is fantastic. Have you ever seen her slow down?

Jessica's gas tank is fantastic. Have you ever seen her slow down?
Is it better than Valentina's though?

Can you argue that her grit/willpower is better than Valentina's?

Maybe if the answer is yes to both of those questions there's a higher chance that she could win the Flyweight title (more than what the majority of here thinks).

See the Penn vs Edgar fight for example.

Is it better than Valentina's though?

Can you argue that her grit/willpower is better than Valentina's?

Maybe if the answer is yes to both of those questions there's a higher chance that she could win the Flyweight title (more than what the majority of here thinks).

See the Penn vs Edgar fight for example.
I don't think Jessica wins, but I'm just trying to give her the credit she deserves.

Betting doesn't represent what people actually think, yea she should have a the bigger favourite but people probably also liked Chookagain's odds vs the chances of a possible upset.

Betting doesn't represent what people actually think, yea she should have a the bigger favourite but people probably also liked Chookagain's odds vs the chances of a possible upset.
no, I saw plenty of people picking Katlyn.

I’m a fan of Andrade. She is like a WMMA version of Wanderlei. Her marching forward with hooks is very Wanderlei-esque and I mean that in a good way. Sure, she isn’t as technical as Val, JJ, and maybe a few others but she makes up for it with aggression and also good grappling and she’s not afraid to go for takedowns despite knowing she has KO power. If she continues to add body strikes to her game she will do great at FLW

Back