Size of knee sleeves - anyone experience with this?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got some sleeves - love them, cause they alleviate the knee clicking etc in a deep squat, plus, whilst not as strong, saves having to wrap the knees every set.

However - they're not too long/lengthy.

They start below my patella and finish above, 7 mm thickness - but, I see other dudes wearing knee sleeves and they seem much "longer".
They cover more of the knee joint.

I'd imagine it can't hurt to have more cover - but I bought these sleeves based on being popular sellers so, does that mean that extra cover really matters?

Anyone use shorter sleeves vs longer sleeves - and how do they compare?

And any brand names for the best supporting for heavy lifting, sleeves.

Most cover, thickest, best supporting - most recommended knee sleeves?

Probably either SBD or Slingshot. I don’t use sleeves.

SBD, STrong, Stoic...They all do the job. All have good length.

Being in the UK, SBD are the only one of those brands really available to me.

As to sizing, I have a 43 cm knee, which

s-l1600.jpg

Comes in at a tight XL, or a loose 2XL.

Now - I want as much support as possible but, have read these sleeves are kind of snug normally anyways.

Any experiences with sizing?

Also - will these SBD's really improve support and "rebound", in contrast to the 15 currency unit cross fit sleeves I bought off aliexpress?

I mean, is it worth going out of my way to get them?

I used the blue rehbands. A size smaller. Works perfect. If you really want good sleeves buy sbd sleeves. https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-knee-sleeves/ i did not use them though. I saw the strongman and powerlifters use rehbands and was sold.

I think longer sleeves store more kinetic energy and therefor are better. (Provided its not some shit from ali express).

I can lift 10kg more with my rehbands.

Opinions on this video?

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about;

He talks mostly about how wraps and sleeves actual contribute to injury - not prevent it.

Opinions on this video?

He talks mostly about how wraps and sleeves actual contribute to injury - not prevent it.

I had a history of bad knees, after using sleeves my knees feel better than ever. This guy is full of shit.

Even if you get a looser fitting size, the way it keeps your knees and muscles near the knees warm can only help with injury prevention.

Now if he means people are overloading on lifts because they think sleeves will add on 100lbs to their squat...Well you can't help those idiots.

Last edited:
Being in the UK, SBD are the only one of those brands really available to me.

As to sizing, I have a 43 cm knee, which

s-l1600.jpg

Comes in at a tight XL, or a loose 2XL.

Now - I want as much support as possible but, have read these sleeves are kind of snug normally anyways.

Any experiences with sizing?

I would go with the XL, but be warned, if you have huge calves...Like the video I posted earlier mentioned...You might have a hard time there. When I put mine on, the calves usually give me the most trouble.

If you're looking for a little support and a good fit, go for the 2XL...If you want a tighter fit then go with XL.

If you're in the UK, Strength Shop are decent enough in my opinion. I've been using these sleeves for a few years and am very happy with them:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/slee...trengthshop-double-ply-thor-knee-sleeves.html

I have a pair of Odin's for the new PR days. Love the feel of these, and they don't stink like neoprene sleeves. Leave your SBD's in your bag by mistake just once and you'll regret it.

I had something like the Thor back in the day, they were called convict sleeves when they were owned by this other brand. They were exactly like these Thor sleeves but in black and blue.

Opinions on this video?

Bullshit. I suffered knee pain when I did not use sleeves. Maybe it was form but hell it never appeared again after usage 2+ years in.

I use SBD sleeves and have used rehbands previously.

I have large calves, a simple workaround is to wear tall socks (covers the shins, similar to suit slippers). Pull up over the socks to reduce friction and then pull the socks down, socks cannot contact sleeves in some feds. If you have smaller calves, this would not be required.

I have trained with lifters that used STrong sleeves, Titan YellowJackets, SBDs, eleiko, rehband etc. Sometimes interchangeably, with most not citing any noticeable difference between them in terms of support.

All of this is anecdotal, of course, as will most of the resources online.

I use SBD sleeves and have used rehbands previously.

I have large calves, a simple workaround is to wear tall socks (covers the shins, similar to suit slippers). Pull up over the socks to reduce friction and then pull the socks down, socks cannot contact sleeves in some feds. If you have smaller calves, this would not be required.

I have trained with lifters that used STrong sleeves, Titan YellowJackets, SBDs, eleiko, rehband etc. Sometimes interchangeably, with most not citing any noticeable difference between them in terms of support.

All of this is anecdotal, of course, as will most of the resources online.

Do you wear your sleeves at such a small size that they are really that hard to slide on? At that point wouldn’t it just be better to use wraps? I’m just curious as I didn’t know people wore sleeves that tight. My rehbands are tight but can slide on pretty easy. Maybe I need to go tighter.

I've been wanting to get a pair of sleeves, but never wore or owned a pair in my life. From what I read I don't think you can go wrong with SBD. I may pick up a pair soon, but I know Super Training have sales/deals once in a while at there store/gym in West Sac. Might be able to get a good deal in comparison to a pair of SBD that can be pretty pricey. I don't expect it improving my squat though. I just want a pair to keep the knees warm as my garage gym will start to get cold when the winter comes.

Do you wear your sleeves at such a small size that they are really that hard to slide on? At that point wouldn’t it just be better to use wraps? I’m just curious as I didn’t know people wore sleeves that tight. My rehbands are tight but can slide on pretty easy. Maybe I need to go tighter.

The sleeves I wear are on the larger side of my knee measurement, but my calves catch on the material and rather than needlessly rip out a bunch of hair, I pull my socks up.

My rehbands go on no problem due to the size of the opening.

I could squeeze into a smaller size, but don’t feel the need to. I don’t wear the sleeve to lift heavier weight, but to keep some compression and warmth on the joint.

Wrapped squats vs unwrapped are very different. I train alone so I don’t wrap, Ive tried them a few times but by the time I finish the second knee the first leg has lost some feeling.

I'd suggest Cerberus strength dual ply sleeves or Strengthshop double ply sleeves, both very good quality for the money and as good as SBDs IMO.

Have squatted 200kg+ (440lbs+) for reps in both in comfort. Had an arthroscopy on my left knee years ago so wanted support and they've done the job perfectly.

I'd suggest Cerberus strength dual ply sleeves or Strengthshop double ply sleeves, both very good quality for the money and as good as SBDs IMO.

Have squatted 200kg+ (440lbs+) for reps in both in comfort. Had an arthroscopy on my left knee years ago so wanted support and they've done the job perfectly.

Just checked them out, they remind me of the strengthshop Odin and Thor sleeves.

https://www.strengthshopcanada.ca/sleeves

Last edited:
Back