Size of food

I'm just after a 24 hr fast and did an 8 hr shift in the 24 hrs ,Just after a heavy munch as well .

Do you get put off at all?

I've gone off burgers because as soon as they arrive they're massive. I would be happy with a 3rd of it with a 3rd of the fries.

Why are people here so greedy?

Also...

MURICA!

I love that you can go to Costco and get an absurdly big bag of chips.

If you don't get tired picking up the plate, it isn't enough food.

Only had one short visit to the states (san fran). Portions were big but the food was often of poor quality lathered with sauces etc. The portion size and sauces are a nice way to disguise the bland meats/veges.

I'm not gonna judge based on that single experience but tasteless food seems to be a common denominator?

I've gone off burgers because as soon as they arrive they're massive. I would be happy with a 3rd of it with a 3rd of the fries.

When I lived in Ann Arbor there was a 1950s era burger place out of Detroit that i took the kids to. Their main items were 'sliders' and they had deals on 2, 3, or 4 sliders. those sliders were in fact just 'hamburgers' from the 70s when I was a little kid. I'm pretty sure that one of those 'sliders' was what someone would order in the 60s or 50s, not 2, 3, or 4 of them.

We were in France in 2018 and i was pretty surprised how much bigger portion sizes were compared to 2010, never mind when i was a kid. Plates of food were at least 50% larger (or more) compared to when i was a kid. you can see it on the beach in France too. You see some mid 30s guy on the beach and he's got a gut and looks like he could lose 20 or 30 lbs. that was never the case 20+ yrs ago. You rarely saw an overweight guy at that age. Women are still fairly thin in france but you see a lot more overweight flabby chicks in their 30s on the beach --- which is something you never saw pre-2000s.

When I lived in Ann Arbor there was a 1950s era burger place out of Detroit that i took the kids to. Their main items were 'sliders' and they had deals on 2, 3, or 4 sliders. those sliders were in fact just 'hamburgers' from the 70s when I was a little kid. I'm pretty sure that one of those 'sliders' was what someone would order in the 60s or 50s, not 2, 3, or 4 of them.

We were in France in 2018 and i was pretty surprised how much bigger portion sizes were compared to 2010, never mind when i was a kid. Plates of food were at least 50% larger (or more) compared to when i was a kid. you can see it on the beach in France too. You see some mid 30s guy on the beach and he's got a gut and looks like he could lose 20 or 30 lbs. that was never the case 20+ yrs ago. You rarely saw an overweight guy at that age. Women are still fairly thin in france but you see a lot more overweight flabby chicks in their 30s on the beach --- which is something you never saw pre-2000s.
I can understand that in Paris maybe because tourists expect portion size to be big but that's a shame in more rural areas. I haven't really noticed it changing but I haven't been for 8 or so years and the biggest place then was Deauville a small market town, with nothing but French people.

I can understand that in Paris maybe because tourists expect portion size to be big but that's a shame in more rural areas. I haven't really noticed it changing but I haven't been for 8 or so years and the biggest place then was Deauville a small market town, with nothing but French people.

We were in Paris, Avignon and St Tropez. Shocking.

Norm had a great bit about how we eat differently at a restaurant than we do at home.

Like at home, you'll be cooking up a nice pork chop, but then you never go "hey before this pork chop is done, why don't I eat a loaf of bread?"
He makes a very valid point.

What I hate is that the size goes up, and so does the price. But then when the size lessens, the price does not.

This is that American culture that conservatives are so obsessed with.

I loves me an oversized burger and burrito too.

but when I find myself at a restaurant, usually chains, I have started ordering an appatizers for my meal. Eating a full meal at olive garden, cheesecake factory or such is a big job.

typical American/Canadian breakfast:
Bfast.png

VS an English fry up:
23322a0a78e0249270351ef7f6d42bc8.jpg

I loves me an oversized burger and burrito too.

but when I find myself at a restaurant, usually chains, I have started ordering an appatizers for my meal. Eating a full meal at olive garden, cheesecake factory or such is a big job.
It's not too big going out for Italian or Asian as examples. My old sports bar though I was fucked because it was all oversized, even the apps. They're enough as a main course. The owner has an Italian as well but the portion sizes there aren't huge.

Back