Siver Should've Worked on his Footwork

daruckus

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After watching some footage of him training recently I can't help but feel that Siver will be much too stiff and lacking in fluidity to be any real threat to McGregor.

He also seems to be letting Conor's comments bother him which I also see as a downfall. Against a more fluid and better counter-striker, Siver is probably walking into an early KO.

"I don't just knock them out, I pick the round."

1st round KO/TKO for Conor around two minutes.

He's too short for footwork, he bounces around and throws spinning back kicks. That's pretty much all he does.

I think being 36, fighting someone a decade younger than him and being past his prime will be a bigger hindrance to him more than anything.

the only thing he needs to work on is not moving backwards. if you stand still or walk backwards against greg your fucked. if siver actually walks in and lights him up right off the bat he has a chance. fuck that if anyone actually walks grego down they have a chance. mcgoober dosent move his head and dosent cover up. the simplest game plan is often the best. siver needs to run at him as soon as the bell goes and throw fucken bombs.

fuck that if anyone actually walks grego down

Pretty hard to do against such a pressure fighter. You're going to have to clash like 2 rams and close exchange but then you take a risk against a 1 round finisher. If he gets rocked yeah he will move backwards but even then, as soon as his head is cleared he's moving forward again. I dont see anybody walking him down in the division.

I believe he lacks "great" footwork because he's more of a wrestler with heavy hands. Stays flat footed to shoot and throw heavy power strikes.

Siver should've worked on scrapbooking so he'd have happier memories to come back to after being humiliated.

Pretty hard to do against such a pressure fighter. You're going to have to clash like 2 rams and close exchange but then you take a risk against a 1 round finisher. If he gets rocked yeah he will move backwards but even then, as soon as his head is cleared he's moving forward again. I dont see anybody walking him down in the division.

nobody has ever attacked him without being worried about what will come back at them.

Brandao, Holloway, and Poirer all allowed Conor to dictate the pace, if they "clash like 2 rams" and Conor knocks them out, it's the same as backing up and getting your ass kicked. You still lose.

The difference is we know what Conor does when guys allow him to control the center and run from him, we don't know what he'd do if he meets another bully in the ring. Somebody who is going to initiate a brawl and force him to do things he doesn't want to do.

That's the thing about McGregor, we have no idea how he'd do against a wrestler, and we have no idea how he reacts when everything doesn't go his way.

His entire UFC career has only gone one way, nobody really tried to stand up to him yet.

He's too short for footwork, he bounces around and throws spinning back kicks. That's pretty much all he does.

That and a pretty underrated ground game... not that he's at all a master or full-out badass, but people seem to think he's never seen a grappling class.

I believe he lacks "great" footwork because he's more of a wrestler with heavy hands. Stays flat footed to shoot and throw heavy power strikes.

Uh, no. He's a champion kickboxer and just started wrestling a few years ago. Previously he also did karate, tae kwon do and some sambo.

Pancake:
Yeah thats true but I think it was Conor who made that happen. Brandao came out aggressive and so did Marcus. He was just able to strike so on point that they moved back by being hurt.

His power/precision has proven him dangerous and I dont think anybody is going to try and bully him. Also, with somebody who is so precise and has KO power I dont think the bully game is a winning one.

My previous post was a joke, what I'm really saying is, footwoot isn't gonna save Siver. This fight is a gift for Conor from the UFC, after this he gets Aldo, people need to remember that.

thats the point. siver is better off taking the chance and meeting him head on... trying to punch around conors extended arms/guard... and land his shots... hes gunna loose the range game. this approach would also be better for his takedowns.

nobody has ever attacked him without being worried about what will come back at them.

Brandao, Holloway, and Poirer all allowed Conor to dictate the pace, if they "clash like 2 rams" and Conor knocks them out, it's the same as backing up and getting your ass kicked. You still lose.

The difference is we know what Conor does when guys allow him to control the center and run from him, we don't know what he'd do if he meets another bully in the ring. Somebody who is going to initiate a brawl and force him to do things he doesn't want to do.

That's the thing about McGregor, we have no idea how he'd do against a wrestler, and we have no idea how he reacts when everything doesn't go his way.

His entire UFC career has only gone one way, nobody really tried to stand up to him yet.

yep!

He's too short for footwork

Being short has nothing to do with it.

Tell that to Frankie Edgar. Shit, tell that to all the Flyweights.

That said, what you're seeing in Siver's training may not be what he plans to do in the fight. He's not going to show what exactly he's working on in videos for the world to see, and possibly for his opponent to see.

We have no idea how Siver is going to show up. For all we know he's going to look for multiple TD's, I doubt he's going to want to stand that long with Conor because he knows Conor has some serious power, is very quick and accurate. Siver may not like Conor, but I doubt he's going to try to bite off more than he can chew. I know he's confident, he's got very good striking skills, he's a champion in kickboxing, isn't he? he's no joke, but I think he's really going to want to mix it up with TD's and try to throw Conor off of his game as much as possible, just get him thinking.

I still think Conor gets the first round finish no matter what Siver does though. I like Siver, he's awesome, fun to watch and seems like a cool dude, but I think Conor has this by a longshot.

All I really know is, Siver is going to try to bring it to Conor like nobody really has in the UFC. He isn't going to back down, he's seen it all.

No he is not. He is a former kickboxer ( originally TKD fighter ) who learned how to wrestle later.

Pancake:
Yeah thats true but I think it was Conor who made that happen. Brandao came out aggressive and so did Marcus. He was just able to strike so on point that they moved back by being hurt.

His power/precision has proven him dangerous and I dont think anybody is going to try and bully him. Also, with somebody who is so precise and has KO power I dont think the bully game is a winning one.

A lot of people thought pressure with striking was bad against JDS too, but it's the right kind of pressure, that's the essence of fighting.

Mark Hunt pressured JDS, and he lost. Cain pressured JDS and won.

The strategy is pressuring, which both of them used. The tactics though, were very different.

McGregor is accurate, but he's not invincible, he can be forced to make mistakes just like anyone else.

Back