Siver is actually a good test for Mcgregor

A good test for Conor would have been primarily a wrestler.

Siver was a hand-picked opponent chosen to showcase Conor as a striker and sell him as a deserving title contender to casuals

I don't even like Conor but he's had a tougher road to a title shot than Hominick, Zombie, Mendes, and Florian did.

Also much tougher than a lot of challengers from other weight classes in the last couple years like Tate, Sonnen, and Diaz.

Tate and Sonnen both got shots after injuries. Sonnen's initial title fight was hard-earned. Diaz was a champ in Strikeforce and still had to fight a bout before getting GSP. Then when fallout occurred he was given a shot.

Mendes was undefeated in the WEC, then won in the UFC. THen for his rematch had to win five straight in the UFC (finished 4).

I'll give you Zombie. But if you thought Homonick had an easy road then you lack understanding of the landscape at the time of the fight. I have zero answers for why Florian got half of what he got in his career.

siver is not a bad fighter, but you're fooling yourself if you think he has more than a puncher's chance.

Remember when people were saying Poirier was a serious test? Then he loses and of course he was really over rated after that.

Tate and Sonnen both got shots after injuries. Sonnen's initial title fight was hard-earned. Diaz was a champ in Strikeforce and still had to fight a bout before getting GSP. Then when fallout occurred he was given a shot.

Mendes was undefeated in the WEC, then won in the UFC. THen for his rematch had to win five straight in the UFC (finished 4).

I'll give you Zombie. But if you thought Homonick had an easy road then you lack understanding of the landscape at the time of the fight. I have zero answers for why Florian got half of what he got in his career.

Conor will have five wins after tonight (in the UFC, 13 overall) and over higher caliber fighters. Mendes' streak to earn his second shot was almost entirely devoid of talent.

A good test for Conor would have been primarily a wrestler.

Siver was a hand-picked opponent chosen to showcase Conor as a striker and sell him as a deserving title contender to casuals

Siver is a wrestler though. He's been avoiding standing since he dropped to 145

getting a title shot without beating an ex champ is understandable, but getting one without even fighting an ex contender is just ridiculous...

You have bought the hype

Siver actually is a good test because he is a tough veteran, the problem is he could earn a title shot with a win

I notice you're leaving out the names that Chad beat though, because they were a lower level than the guys Conor is fighting, besides Guida, and maybe Lenz.

Also if we're counting accomplishments outside of the UFC then Conor is riding a 12 fight win streak and was the champ of his old organisation

lamas gets a shot after beating koch
zombie gets a title shot after beating poirier
mendes gets a shot after beating lentz
edgar gets a shot after losing to henderson
florian gets a shot after beating nunes
hominick gets a shot after beating roop

Hominick's last two wins were over Roop and Garcia.

Poirier is a better fighter than anyone Mendes beat, Siver is better than anyone except Lentz. Holloway is a lot better than Mckenzie and that random newcomer.

Diaz lost to Condit, was suspended for a year, and got a title shot anyway.

LOL at every trying to justify the Sonnen shot when Hendo would have been ready to go by the actual fight date, as would a bunch of other contenders.

Ok guys lets be clear...

Siver, Poirier, Holloway, Brimage, Brando >> Cub, Hioki, Koch

That should be obvious

lamas gets a shot after beating koch
zombie gets a title shot after beating poirier
mendes gets a shot after beating lentz
edgar gets a shot after losing to henderson
florian gets a shot after beating nunes
hominick gets a shot after beating roop

But, but, but, but, but... WRESTLER!!!!!

nah not really
He beat #5 (porier) in round one then gets #10 (siver) who is coming off a suspension and a layoff for a title shot, lol.

McGregor is the only fighter that makes sense for a title shot right now (Unless you want the Edgar rematch). Still, I'm not going to pretend like beating Siver should get you a title shot.

He's a good test. People are taking all these rankings way too seriously. Everybody losses at some point.

Back