Situation : You're in top halfguard with a deep crossface and an underhook

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Noskill, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

How do you pass ?

2. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

all you gotta do is kick your leg out of his half guard and take side control, pretty basic

3. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

pry knee out with my other foot or turn into him and pull my leg out.

4. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

anyway you want

5. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

:icon_lol:

6. Higher Learning

my answer was vague and taking the piss, your's is just idiotic... 'kick your leg out'...?

7. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

this is another I've been trying. tozi pass. it's pretty awesome, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

edit: WAIT! come to think of it, one guy rolled underneath when I was stacking him and ended up in mount. true story. advice on preventing this would be sweet.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I read it and just slapped my head like.... damn why didn't I think of that before!!!!

:rolleyes:

9. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

guh, I was rolling with a big purple belt today and I had exactly this position, an extremely dominant top half guard position with a crossface and underhook, and him flat on his back, and no matter what I tried I could not get my foot free. I tried switching my hips to either side, using my other foot to pry, using my hand to pry, nothing seemed to work. Anyone have a good tip for how to free the foot when your opponent is intent on hanging onto it and stalling?

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

You don't need to Tozi pass if you're already in top half guard, Tozi pass is for passing closed guard.

11. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

When you kick your leg out his half guard gets weak and you could pass thats why you should kick your leg out.

12. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

oh ok thanks

13. Higher Learning

wtf is going on in here...

@rdaxe... tripod up dude, get your trapped foot as close to his ass as possible and hips in the air then either pass through to mount or switch your hips and knee through

14. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

OP here. Some precision. Do you bail on the crossface when you get the underhook, and go for the so-called "Esgrima" or "Esrkima" pass ? That is, the pass where you have the underhook on one side, the sleeve on the other, and you pass to scarf hold.

I ask because I get rolled from this very good position in top halfguard. I hook my instep on top of their leg to free my trapped leg, get very high and look for mount. This works perfectly on the smaller/less skilled guys, but the better ones, or the bigger ones buck me off and then I end up on bottom.

Serious, helpful answers please.

15. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I tried that too but he still kept clinging to my foot and I couldn't get it out. I'll try tripoding up more and getting my foot closer to his ass.

This particular guy I was going against is pretty good at half guard and outweighs me by like 80 pounds so I guess I was trying a bunch of stuff but afraid to overcommit to any one half guard pass for fear of getting rolled over.

16. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

That's basically the same as finishing a knee slide pass. Which way do they roll you?

I've had problems with this pass on really big fat guys, they can sometimes almost pull a deep half guard from there and roll me all the way over.

I try to stop that by actually posting on the mat with the underhooking hand, pulling hard on the other sleeve, and keeping my weight low and doing a baseball slide type motion as I finish the pass, really switching my hips and getting low so that I'm almost sitting on the mat. I think the guy is able to roll you because your center of gravity is too high. Just a thought.

17. Tameus1

Tameus1 Yellow Belt

Position: Right leg trapped in half-guard. left shoulder cross-face and right arm underhook.

1. stay low (all weight on the bottom guy) and keep bottom guy flat.

2. keep your hips low as you start to pass. Any experienced/bigger guy will launch you once your hips come up. This is very important in half-guard passing. Keep your hips low to the mat even when moving your legs or body in position (note: always keep hips low unless you are popping up to bring your knee across/through - see step 5).

3. walk your right leg up so your right knee gets to twelve o'clock. keep pressure on the cross-face.

4. bring your right hand back to push the leg off as you bring your knee through. get your right knee to the ground and pin the bottom guys left leg. Don't worry about the bottom guy bringing his hand down to push back your knee. Once your knee is through pummel your underhook back in. Re-establish cross-face/underhook pressure. KEEP HIPS LOW.

5. complete the pass to mount. If the bottom guy has a death-grip on your right ankle with his legs...relax. You're in a much better position than he is. Wait patiently until he moves and pull through. Otherwise, quickly pop your hips up and bring your knee to the other side (your left). Kick off his legs with your left foot.

Hope that helps.

18. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

Thanks dude, you're helping.

Well, people roll me when I cling to the crossface, not when I go for the esgrima (which I shoud do more). As to the question of to which side they roll me, I think both, but more toward the underhook side.

19. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

Sounds good. Thanks Tameus.

20. Higher Learning

i actually never use these types of HG passes anymore (even though i know they are an excellent option) as i prefer to pass the legs