Sit Ups or Squats First?

Adnan Adil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Guys I wonder what do you think about mixing the squats and sit ups? I mean which is better option to start with the squats and continue with the sit ups or reverse? For instance for me it is almost impossible to achieve a good result when making push ups after the two exercises I mentioned above. Your abs are burning, you legs are shaking. When I do sit ups after squats my thighs are in pain, but when I do squats after sit ups I feel weak my core. So what do you think about the mix of these exercises?

Get the best of both worlds and try some front squats.

I ask because I am concerned that for instance some exercises are not good to be one after other like biceps curls before pull ups, triceps kick-backs before bench pressing and etc. I wonder is this case like these examples? Many people say that they can not do many sit ups after squats. From other hand- many people say that they can not do anything after squats. :)

I ask because I am concerned that for instance some exercises are not good to be one after other like biceps curls before pull ups, triceps kick-backs before bench pressing and etc. I wonder is this case like these examples? Many people say that they can not do many sit ups after squats. From other hand- many people say that they can not do anything after squats. :)
Personally, I treat all ab exercises as accessories and do them after the primary lifts e.g. squats, bench, deadlifts, cleans and jerks, snatches and presses.

Personally, I treat all ab exercises as accessories and do them after the primary lifts e.g. squats, bench, deadlifts, cleans and jerks, snatches and presses.
I was the same until recent time.

Thunderhead is correct. Start with the big compound movements like squats, deads, bench, etc and then finish with accessory work like abs, curls or whatever.

Thunderhead is correct. Start with the big compound movements like squats, deads, bench, etc and then finish with accessory work like abs, curls or whatever.
If we go for body weight squats till failure is it the same?

For bodyweight squats it doesn't really matter.

Squats! If your core is already tiered your squat form will suffer!

If we go for body weight squats till failure is it the same?

Not really. You're using the same muscles but the intensity isn't the same as loading up a heavy barbell and barely being able to grind out 3-5 reps. Bodyweight squats shouldn't tax your core heavily if at all.

What are your goals?

Hate to be the old school riptard in the room. But someone was going to bring up the following sooner or later, so it might as well be me:

https://startingstrength.com/article/your-gut-your-health-and-situps
Of course we need strong abs and back muscles. The squat and deadlift require a stable spine, and as the weights on these two critical exercises go up, so does the strength of all the muscles involved in both moving the load and stabilizing the spine. Obviously. There is no better abdominal exercise than squats and deadlifts, along with standing presses, and situps and back extensions are just not necessary for abdominal strength.

I'm not exactly the most athletically experienced guy (I've only ever lifted weights, never played any sports), but I kind of agree with Rippetoe based on my personal experience. I'm as strong as I've ever been in my abs, and I've not consistently done any ab excercises for at least 5 years. But again, only speaking from a non-sports specific perspective.

Last edited:
Guys I wonder what do you think about mixing the squats and sit ups? I mean which is better option to start with the squats and continue with the sit ups or reverse? For instance for me it is almost impossible to achieve a good result when making push ups after the two exercises I mentioned above. Your abs are burning, you legs are shaking. When I do sit ups after squats my thighs are in pain, but when I do squats after sit ups I feel weak my core. So what do you think about the mix of these exercises?
I would do situps at the end of each training session.
Along with forearm muscles and calves, abs are the most stubborn and endurable muscles in the human body and you need to train them every day. But once a week I would recommend to do abs exersices (situps) with weight and increase the weight gradually like you do for any muscle group. In other days do situps or any other bodyweight abs exercises (I am sure that abs love variety) just to keep them toned. I mean it is not necessary to make them burn like hell every time.
Squat is a very difficult excersise itself, so you need to be fresh and focused before starting it to prevent injuries.
I always do 10-15 situps and same amount of hyperextensions before squatting to activate my core, but not to train it.
Furthermore, squats are one of the main moves for building abs if you do it in a right way.

Not really. You're using the same muscles but the intensity isn't the same as loading up a heavy barbell and barely being able to grind out 3-5 reps. Bodyweight squats shouldn't tax your core heavily if at all.

What are your goals?
Just to stay in shape, but sometimes I like to go hardcore. :)

I would do situps at the end of each training session.
Along with forearm muscles and calves, abs are the most stubborn and endurable muscles in the human body and you need to train them every day. But once a week I would recommend to do abs exersices (situps) with weight and increase the weight gradually like you do for any muscle group. In other days do situps or any other bodyweight abs exercises (I am sure that abs love variety) just to keep them toned. I mean it is not necessary to make them burn like hell every time.
Squat is a very difficult excersise itself, so you need to be fresh and focused before starting it to prevent injuries.
I always do 10-15 situps and same amount of hyperextensions before squatting to activate my core, but not to train it.
Furthermore, squats are one of the main moves for building abs if you do it in a right way.
I agree with you, bro! I do ab exercises many times just to "wake them up". I agree with all you have said.

So what do you think about the mix of these exercises?

Yes.

I finally did it, I finally replied to a question with a generic response that doesn’t even reflect to the topic. So this is what’s it like to be a rebel and live life on the edge. I feel tough now.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

Yes.

I finally did it, I finally replied to a question with a generic response that doesn’t even reflect to the topic. So this is what’s it like to be a rebel and live life on the edge. I feel tough now.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>
Well done, man! I feel proud of you! ;)

This guys is trolling the shit out of this place!
Man, it's seems that many people when hearing "squat" think about barbel squat. I agree for weighted squat that you need strong core, because of the weight on your shoulder, but without weights is different in my opinion. That is why I am saying about the bodyweight type of the exercises.

Sit ups??

Waste of time
Dont do a single sit up in my core workout

Back